Nintendo Revolution, First Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that would sorta defeat the purpose of home consoles.

I think Nintendo is making a smart move here. With a price tag of $100, if in fact the price would only be $100, then its obvious that they are going to rely heavily on software for their profits. With the recent trend of "retroness" and the whole plug n play TV game controllers with all the old atari games and such, they could probably cash in BIG, even if they charge .99cents for 1 game. At $100 they would sell tons of consoles being a next gen console and retro fans would have their fix as well. Playing retro games as well as next gen games, seems win win to me, i just wonder what kind of 3rd party support they will have because i'm sick of the same old Nintendo mario and metriod crap.

I'm by no means a nintendo fanboy, and i disagree with alot of Nintendos choices over the years, especially with the way the DS is being handled and now the new micro GBA, but I think they could really have a winner with this new system, especially if they keep it pretty straight forward and not very gimmicky with touch screen controllers, helmets and any other goofy ass crap they can come up with.

lubidog posted on May 19 2005 at 02:49 PM said:
Jeez,

What a bunch of pirates you guys are..... :(

And I am sure you have no ROMZ on your GP32 right?

Last edited by a moderator:
KickinWing posted on May 19 2005 at 01:22 PM said:

Not really, Kickinwing. there's still a market for newer consoles and newer games. I'm not saying I have a big problem sitting in front of a TV or even being stationary at all... what I have a problem with though is when people release "innovations" that aren't innovations... or maybe they are, but they don't actually solve any kind of problem or anything. I can see the cords being a problem in some situations. because of the way our livingroom is set up right now, I NEED an extension cord to play my PS2 while sitting on the couch... and yes, a wireless controller would have kept me from buying that extra cord... but the thing is, I love my RetroCon, and I wanna use it pretty much all the time... Also, I wanted portable emulation, not because I don't want to sit still, but because a lot of times, I'd be stuck somewhere, on a crappy vacation, at the mall, in the car, waiting for my parents to come back out to the car and take us all home... wherever, whatever the situation... I wished I could play Megaman or Super Mario 3, Chrono Trigger, Mortal Kombat, whatever... and I couldn't. Now I finally can thanks to the GP32. I don't have to worry about ports turning out crappier than the original game because I'm actually playing the original game now. and I can actually see the damn screen and tell what's going on(gameboy... the old one... doesn't let me do that). That's what I'm getting at. I'm not gonna buy Nintendo Revolution to play old games on a TV when I can already do that becuase I still have my old consoles, AND I can do it whenever and whereever I want with my GP32. What they're doing is a good idea. It's good that they're bringing back the old games that we enjoyed growing up and younger kids don't know because they were just too young... but I have no use for it at all.

and to tell you the truth, watching their press conference pissed me the hell off. Pretty much all they did was talk shit on sony. They said numbers aren't important, but then the first thing they do after that is start rattling off numbers(wtf, hypocrites...). Besides that, 2 billion game sales in 20 years is probably pretty good... but Sony sold the same amount in TEN years. so what the hell are they getting at or trying to prove? And it would be nice if they would at least show us the controller or some game footage for NEW games for their new console... they showed us the case and told us it would be even smaller, and that was the end of it. Unless you're someone who hasn't played the old games in years and you still have no way of doing it, how can you possibly be excited about something they've told us next to nothing about? I MIGHT be impressed if they actually give us some damn info(but don't count on it).

I believe they said optional SD slots can be put in or something

I knwo they said some way SD cards are supported or maybe some other flash media but I think they said SD

DaveC posted on May 19 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
Jeez,

None at all!!! :D But EVEN if I had, I would keep quiet about it, and I really can't blame Ninty for trying to sell us what it actually owns! And I am happy to pay a fair fee!

Magus 86 posted on May 19 2005 at 06:16 PM said:
KickinWing posted on May 19 2005 at 01:22 PM said:

Not really, Kickinwing. there's still a market for newer consoles and newer games. I'm not saying I have a big problem sitting in front of a TV or even being stationary at all... what I have a problem with though is when people release "innovations" that aren't innovations... or maybe they are, but they don't actually solve any kind of problem or anything. I can see the cords being a problem in some situations. because of the way our livingroom is set up right now, I NEED an extension cord to play my PS2 while sitting on the couch... and yes, a wireless controller would have kept me from buying that extra cord... but the thing is, I love my RetroCon, and I wanna use it pretty much all the time... Also, I wanted portable emulation, not because I don't want to sit still, but because a lot of times, I'd be stuck somewhere, on a crappy vacation, at the mall, in the car, waiting for my parents to come back out to the car and take us all home... wherever, whatever the situation... I wished I could play Megaman or Super Mario 3, Chrono Trigger, Mortal Kombat, whatever... and I couldn't. Now I finally can thanks to the GP32. I don't have to worry about ports turning out crappier than the original game because I'm actually playing the original game now. and I can actually see the damn screen and tell what's going on(gameboy... the old one... doesn't let me do that). That's what I'm getting at. I'm not gonna buy Nintendo Revolution to play old games on a TV when I can already do that becuase I still have my old consoles, AND I can do it whenever and whereever I want with my GP32. What they're doing is a good idea. It's good that they're bringing back the old games that we enjoyed growing up and younger kids don't know because they were just too young... but I have no use for it at all.

and to tell you the truth, watching their press conference pissed me the hell off. Pretty much all they did was talk shit on sony. They said numbers aren't important, but then the first thing they do after that is start rattling off numbers(wtf, hypocrites...). Besides that, 2 billion game sales in 20 years is probably pretty good... but Sony sold the same amount in TEN years. so what the hell are they getting at or trying to prove? And it would be nice if they would at least show us the controller or some game footage for NEW games for their new console... they showed us the case and told us it would be even smaller, and that was the end of it. Unless you're someone who hasn't played the old games in years and you still have no way of doing it, how can you possibly be excited about something they've told us next to nothing about? I MIGHT be impressed if they actually give us some damn info(but don't count on it).

Magus, why are you always so negative before the full facts? You really sound like you hate gaming, well modern gaming....

i could see how playing,say n64 games on a console can make sense,as it hasn't been emulated on a handheld yet,but to actually consider paying for nes and snes games in this day and age is just silly.and to even consider offering them,or making it a valuable asset of a next gen console is even more stupid and delusional.
i think they're trying to make up for the 5 games that are going to come out on revolution.can't you see,nintendo are the only ones who are going to develop for this thing.
they were mentioning the controller on that interview with reggie,and he was like "mh,a controller that has to be able to control games for all those different consoles..blah blah".seriously,are we even discussing this?on a gp32 forum nonetheless?playing nes games at home in front of a tv?come on..

yeah, that's what the xbox and gp32 are for.
if it's their main selling point, then they're in trouble..

youre all to negative :)
i would actualy like to play my old favurites and old games i dont even know jet on a console that runs them 100%, as we know nintendo they will propably put evy system in in hardware and not just emulate, wich realy feels realy different than even the best emulation. its also nice to have a 512mb FLASH, wich for me means very low/non existant loadtimes for games i run from it. and i cant see how it can hurt to have your all time favurites and good new next-gen games on the same console that will propably be way cheaper than the others, for me that soudns pretty good.
I think evryone who bashes the system right now is just a fan/hate-boy, the specs arent even known.

Vimacs posted on May 19 2005 at 10:44 PM said:
youre all to negative :)
i would actualy like to play my old favurites and old games i dont even know jet on a console that runs them 100%, as we know nintendo they will propably put evy system in in hardware and not just emulate, wich realy feels realy different than even the best emulation. its also nice to have a 512mb FLASH, wich for me means very low/non existant loadtimes for games i run from it. and i cant see how it can hurt to have your all time favurites and good new next-gen games on the same console that will propably be way cheaper than the others, for me that soudns pretty good.
I think evryone who bashes the system right now is just a fan/hate-boy, the specs arent even known.
I think that the problem is (and I know I suffered from it upon the initial announcement) people are thinking of this console as Nintendo's answer to the PS3 or X360, which I now believe is not correct. If you were to put this console against the other two, it would be trounced... bad.

But when analyzed for what it really is--an inexpensive alternative/companion to the other consoles that will also sport some of its own, unique games. The companion idea might be key to Nintendo's plan. They may not be trying to beat Sony or MS, they may be trying to tag along. At such an attractive price point, people will be much more willing to adopt the consoles regardless of its technical shortcomings. Sure, they might buy the X360 or PS3 first, but I think Nintendo may be thinking they would be the second choice due to the attractive price point, unique capability, and cool factor of the Rev.

It's a crazy idea, but their idea of being the 'universal second choice' is, indeed, a pretty revolutionary one. Remember, guys: If you can beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

I might be completely wrong on this analysis, but it sounds pretty smart to me.

I'm with Vimacs!!!!

I wanna play those Snes games on a nintendo console (the snes passed me by, largely!), and it's ridiculous to say "to charge us for snes games is crazy"! Why, they made them, they own them! And if th price is low enough, I'll buy them happily! I really like this feature, and I'm sure it will be a HUGE selling point in Japan. (A japanese collegue of mine is SO excited by it!).

And really we can't trounce any system, even if we know the specs. We can only guess, surmise etc. On another forum i went to there is a lad calling himself 'SonyFanBoy', like he's proud of it!

Yep, bring on the cheap Revolution. At these costs, with Ninty's proven record of great games (can't argue there, even if they ain't what they were...), a nice, small console next to the bigger boys, yet bringing out Zelda's and eternal darknesses every now and then-plus mario kart from the Snes/n64......

I think I can see just how smart Ninty is! Anyone with a bit of spare cash would be mad not to buy one, maybe......

But again, I dunno...... :blink:

You're all jumping to conclusions.
Nintendo haven't released much at all about the revolution, and you're already moaning about it being crap.
Hell, this 3x thing might be a bluff to stop sony from noticing it as a serious competitior until they release full specs.

DaveC posted on May 19 2005 at 05:25 PM said:
Jeez,

don't be a dick. Currently there are no legal ways to play the games I want to play, unless I go buy a SNES and then hunt down each game one at a time (which in some cases would be either impossible or ridiculously expensive, not to mention that ninty would make no money out of me doing it this way anyway). On demand gaming sounds like just the ticket to me.

And now that I think about it 512meg although not amazingly huge is probably about right. I mean I generally only play a maximum of four games at any one time, regardless of what console they originated on. I'd definately buy a snes or n64 game if the price was around one or two pounds per game.

I have to say though, it would be nice to see nintendo being a little more competitive, I mean, it seems they just rolled over and died with the gamecube and the n64. I want to see some fighting spirit from them this time round (yeah right...)

watoto posted on May 20 2005 at 01:57 AM said:
i could see how playing,say n64 games on a console can make sense,as it hasn't been emulated on a handheld yet,but to actually consider paying for nes and snes games in this day and age is just silly.and to even consider offering them,or making it a valuable asset of a next gen console is even more stupid and delusional.

Just like listening to radio or watching VCR is laughable, right?

i'm not saying old things are crap.i love old school games,i love the snes,i'm always playing old games,but you miss my point .
what i'm saying is,they are offering what has already been available to everyone and their dogs for ages now,and they are charging for it.even if they charge a peanut,i still think it's just a way to distract people from the limited amount of software available for the console.

so,in this context,yes,presenting downloadable content like this is silly simply because it's beeen available for ages to everyone,and i don't mean only as roms etc.

i mean,we are on the board of a console wich has made its fortune out of emulators,old school games is all we mostly discuss about along with emulators,we have all been playing old games and loving it, and all of a suddent nintendo comes out with "da-da-da-da-daa-daaa:nes games as downloadable contenent on revolution!"

and eveyone is like:"wow,this is great,i can't wait to play all those old games from my childhood on a console again!go nintendo,great idea!"

HELLO??

i'm sure it won't be the only asset of revolution and therefore bad,what i'm saying is that it's just silly to announce it like an asset as they did,and it's just silly of you people to rejoice from it.

I wouldn't be surprised if less than one percent of gamers out there emulate, so they might be happy to play games from yesteryear on a console.

To me and many others it's a great feature IF the price is not too high! I would pay up to a tenner for a great Snes game, maybe a little more for a N64 game. I think! I mean, Zelda ocarina of time, for £15? Not bad!

There seems to me to be a point here. When I was a kid, I had an enormous collection of spectrum games, mostly copied from someone's copy. I had no income of my own to be able to buy the originals. If I couldn't copy them, I couldn't play them, full stop!

Now, some of us here have jobs and some of us don't. Whilst not condoning piracy, I can understand how people wanna play games that they can't afford. So i feel almost duty bound to buy games and consoles to support the gaming industry. And feel myself less of a fanboy, cos I can afford to buy all 3 consoles (as long as my wife doesn't find out-so stumm on how much my PSP cost!!!!). Guys like Sam want the Xbox to be a success because he is 12 or 13, he wants to play all his favourite xbox games remade for the 360, and hopes that he will be backing the winning horse. This is the only reason for such loyalty to one console.

Incidently, the Gamecube didn't fail at all! Just not sold as many as the others. But it still made some of the best games of recent times. So there will be SO many people who will buy the new Ninty anyway. Throw in a few features to attract parents ("Download Great games for peanuts!"), and I think Ninty has got it's marbles back!

ok then, what about all the plug and play tv game systems with old games?? Nintendo doesn't have any out with their games right now, but if they did, then they are silly because you can already play those games on emulators??? Those things sell like hot cakes because the mass majority doesn't do emulation or know about emulation. You're making your arguement based on everybody in the world has heard and uses emulation. In fact emulator uses are a minority compared to the kids and adults alike that haven't used emulation.

So a system that is not only next gen, but has the ability to download and play old nintendo games is a really good idea and will do well for the mast majority of people out there that don't know about emulation. Adults will be able to go back to their childhood again playing the games they grew up with and kids will be open to a whole new era of gaming history.

EDIT: This is a reply to Watoto, but Lubi made a reply as i was typing this reply :p

lubidog posted on May 20 2005 at 03:04 PM said:
I wouldn't be surprised if less than one percent of gamers out there emulate, so they might be happy to play games from yesteryear on a console.

To me and many others it's a great feature IF the price is not too high! I would pay up to a tenner for a great Snes game, maybe a little more for a N64 game. I think! I mean, Zelda ocarina of time, for £15? Not bad!

There seems to me to be a point here. When I was a kid, I had an enormous collection of spectrum games, mostly copied from someone's copy. I had no income of my own to be able to buy the originals. If I couldn't copy them, I couldn't play them, full stop!

Now, some of us here have jobs and some of us don't. Whilst not condoning piracy, I can understand how people wanna play games that they can't afford. So i feel almost duty bound to buy games and consoles to support the gaming industry. And feel myself less of a fanboy, cos I can afford to buy all 3 consoles (as long as my wife doesn't find out-so stumm on how much my PSP cost!!!!). Guys like Sam want the Xbox to be a success because he is 12 or 13, he wants to play all his favourite xbox games remade for the 360, and hopes that he will be backing the winning horse. This is the only reason for such loyalty to one console.

Incidently, the Gamecube didn't fail at all! Just not sold as many as the others. But it still made some of the best games of recent times. So there will be SO many people who will buy the new Ninty anyway. Throw in a few features to attract parents ("Download Great games for peanuts!"), and I think Ninty has got it's marbles back!

No, Spam fisher's 15.
I'm the one who's 12, and I want a revolution and ps3

[/quote]
No, Spam fisher's 15.
I'm the one who's 12, and I want a revolution and ps3
[/quote]

Goity's 12???!!!

But he makes soem of the brightest and intellegent posts here!!!!

Okay, you want them, you shall have them! I'll have a word with Uncle Bast....

its not about physical age, but age/matureity of mind, and i think goity is way "older" at this than any spam fisher could ever be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back