Nintendo Ds Price

Well thats your opinion I disagree totally and don't know how you came to the conclusion that 2D games are more accessible than 3D. Hey if you want to play at home thats fine with me, I have no trouble playing GTA on the go. I wouldn't play a DS on the bus because its too big with the 2 screens.

You forget the PSP has a sleep option. Just press power and it turns off. Turn it on again and your back in the same place. Thats whats been missing from portables.

Lumines eh? well Ridge Racers and Minna no golf completely outsold lumines. I think other people disagree.

Your post did not sound like a fanboy post :p

well I do agree that some PSP games are more suited to playing on the go than others.

For instance, I tend to avoid playing Metal Gear on the go, because if I"m out in the daytime, it's sometimes VERY hard to see, being a pretty dark colored game. As well, I know I can't just breeze thru a mission in minutes, so dont want to get too tied up if I can only play for short blasts. The turn based nature of the game alleviates this somewhat, as it's easy to put into sleep mode in between turns... as long as you're not in the middle of a hectic fight (I use the term 'hectic' loosely).

Now Ridge Racer... aw man forget it. If I try to play this while walking around or in my wifes car while she drives, man I can't play the game for crap. It's kinda hard to be precise in these conditions, and many races/tracks become kinda difficult if trying to play them on the move. Also, sleep mode is almost useless in a game like this... as well as even pausing. Coming back to a race halfway thru, for me, usually leads to disaster... and god forbid I have to pause it while I'm in the middle of a turn/drift. I can still play the game on the go, and do well I suppose (it's not a difficult game, anyways)... but I tend not to want to bother.

Rengoku is a fast action game in 3d, and actually I do like to play this one on the go as it's very easy to play in short blasts and it has an auto lock on feature when fighting so precision is not a factor... if my wife hits a pothole it wont mess up my game. I'd say this game, with the ability to save at any time, and it's very solitary fights (you fight on a room by room basis), is very well suited for on the go play.

Golf, Lumines, Puzzle Bobble, Chaos Tower, and Dynasty Warriors, all work well on the go... of course, this gives mattmagoos argument more steam as 3 out of 5 of those are 2d games :) Really though it seems to me that 2d or 3d really has very little to do with how accessible a game is as a portable, rather, it really just comes down to the style of game. For instance, Golf is in 3d, yet really, the gameplay mechanics of it echo many 2d golf games before it... it just looks nicer. Rengoku is in 3d but is a more simplistic game than say, GTA. But there will be some games for PSP that will definatley be pretty deep and probably not well suited for 5 minute blasts or playing will moving around, I can agree to that.

3D started as a gimmick, and in many games, it still is. Touch pad is a gimmick, at least in games. And 16:9 started as a gimmick (when TV became popular, movie theaters went to 16:9 "Cinescope" as a gimmick to get people back into the theaters) and it still a gimmick, used to sell things like lcd/plasma TVs. And with the advancement of flash media, UMDs are also a gimmick.

bah... the whole world is a gimmick... it was just created so us people would have a place to live :p Outer space is a gimmick too... it was just put there so people who were bored with the earth would have an alternative :D :p

How is 3D, 16:9, UMDS a gimmick? Do you your eyes see in a 4:3 ratio? 16:9 much closer to eye vision. UMDs are just upgraded minidiscs which have been around since the early nineties, how is that gimicky exactly? Touch screen is not gimmick. Try or buy a pocket pc or palm and see whats its used for. 3D I wont even go into that.

3D is a gimmick when it is used poorly.

16:9 is a gimmick when you have to comprimise to get it.

UMDs are battery eaters, and are a gimmick when there are flash media that can hold as much with less power consumption.

Touch screen is a gimmick when it is used poorly, especially in games.

And developers don't always use things well, they sometimes just make stuff that sells well due to their marketing ploy.

hmmm... not sure I would agree with you on your definition of the word gimmick then.

and this doesn't constitue a DS vs PSP war... they are both 3d machines :p

And before anyone starts calling ME a fanboy again, please read my posts... I was also defending the DS's touch screen and 3d capabilities... I'm not taking any sides here as I like both machines.

I am a fanboy of neither. I dislike both the DS and PSP. My definition of "gimmick" in the last post is "A feature that doesn't improve the quality of the product, just an attempt to sell more product". And I guess 3D is not exactly a gimmick, but what I mean is "3D is often used poorly, and thus is often just a selling point for a bad game".

I don't care what your "definition" of gimmick is. You obbviously have no idea so I'm not going to bother replying. Your posts make no sense.

for being gimmicks, they sure are selling well and sure are fun to play :p

Back