Nintendo 64 Emulation

You can hope that that's true, or at no extra cost, come up with an alternate incentive plan, just in case you're not.

WizardStan said:
You can hope that that's true, or at no extra cost, come up with an alternate incentive plan, just in case you're not.

Well, I see no point in arguing this with you since you seem to be speculating about hypothetical problems like "the butterfly effect" and "the prisoner's dilemma" whereas I am speaking from experience with previous development donation funds. On top of that, there's no factual way for me to disprove what you are saying besides common sense or looking around at how everyone else on the (internet) planet does it. Whatever you believe, it won't be proved or disproved and coming up with a contingency plan for a hypothetical issue sounds counter productive to the whole thing. Let's just get the donations going already! I know there must be some type of donation fund being set up already since you can donate $20 to a dev fund when you pre-order your pandora, unless that goes to the OP team for developing the OS and onboard software.

Last edited by a moderator:
rumsey said:
Well, I see no point in arguing this with you since you seem to be speculating about hypothetical problems like "the butterfly effect" and "the prisoner's dilemma" whereas I am speaking from experience with previous development donation funds. On top of that, there's no factual way for me to disprove what you are saying besides common sense or looking around at how everyone else on the (internet) planet does it. Whatever you believe, it won't be proved or disproved and coming up with a contingency plan for a hypothetical issue sounds counter productive to the whole thing. Let's just get the donations going already! I know there must be some type of donation fund being set up already since you can donate $20 to a dev fund when you pre-order your pandora, unless that goes to the OP team for developing the OS and onboard software.
You don't have to prove or disprove anything because I haven't been arguing against you. All I've said is, just because the weatherman said tomorrow is going to be sunny doesn't mean you should throw your umbrella away, to use an analogy.

How realistic is this plan?

Pardon me, but it sounds to me like people think money is some kind of mana that makes magic happen.

fiori_musicali said:
How realistic is this plan?

Pardon me, but it sounds to me like people think money is some kind of mana that makes magic happen.
i agree, only developers can make magic happen.

Money usually only helps if a developer needs to buy specific hardware for testing purposes. If there is a lot of money offered (many thousand dollars) then you can pay a developer to work on something instead of working another job.

Just having people pledge money often doesn't accomplish anything, except create arguments over what to do with it. If a developer comes forward and says "I need $149 for a begleboard to test my emulator" then maybe people can donate for that.

This thread about bounties is essential reading: http://www.gp32x.de...showtopic=40354 (it's quite old, please don't bump it!)

tl;dr - A bunch of guys who know what they're talking about, say "don't bother".

If you want someone to write a Nintendo64 emulator, give them a Pandora. The hard part is finding the person with the time and ability to make it happen (as opposed to someone who says they'll do it, then delivers a crappy port of something running at 5fps). If this person turns up, chances are OP will give them the hardware anyway. We can then send cash donations to them if we want to.

I'm sure if we had $5-10k on the table we could entice someone (strmnnrm, zod, who knows) to put their life on hold to do it. But we don't.

I don't think money should be given out to the first person who makes an N64 emulator. Tell me if I'm wrong cause I'm not a developer but it seems that N64 emulator isn't really that impressive on a Pandora because even PSP can do that. However money like this should be given to people who do some amazing work on the Pandora. For example if Jayfoxrox makes a decent PSP emulator or one day somebody makes a really good FPS exclusive for the Pandora. Maybe this money could be given out in some sort of competition. I know that an N64 emulator probaly has the highest demand but if somebody got $3000 dollars for making one then it really wouldn't be fair to any of the other developers who have worked so hard to provide the Pandora with possibly greater software.

Last I heard, the PSP's N64 emulator was pathetically slow. This would be for someone making an emulator that had a decent framerate and good compatibility with well-known games.

And bounties have no requirement to be fair.

It's not fair that professional athletes are paid more than almost anybody else, but it's what people pay for. And in this case, some people are willing to pay for an N64 emulator.

Bounties have worked in the past, like the DS Wifi Bounty: http://sc.tri-bit.com/dswfb - the libs created from it are still being used in the making of wifi-enabled homebrew on the DS.

I'm holding firm to the belief that one is 'secretly' being developed & will be announced on launch/ship day or shortly thereafter.

I would pitch in $10 towards whatever it may be (competition or bounty).

I'm sure if we were able to get enough money going someone would be willing to pick it up.

Well the bounty should be held by craigx or evildragon so people aren't afraid that they will be scammed or this is some kind of scheme, but it should NOT be held by open pandora as certain legal issues could arise, if this information becomes too public. Another good idea, like Shaun said, is to hold a competition of sorts, at pandora's release certain devs can declare what they are working on, when they are finished, say, a year later we can check the results and award the pot to the best project (maybe a 1st 2nd and 3rd with decreasing prizes for each?)I believe this will help stir up interest in the devs to focus on pandora as apposed to the iphone (zottd :p) or other consoles. Also if a n64 emulator is going to be written, it should be written from the ground up not a port, as the psp's n64 emulator is highly optimized and very incompatible (it just doesn't have the raw power to emulate n64) Many ambitious projects have been started eg: jayfoxrox's psp emulator and zezu's nulldc, so I hope the not-so-ambitious but still very challenging task of emulating n64 will be undertaken.

I found several open source emulators, eg. 1964 and daedalus. If daedalus is indeed platform independent, then it might be possible to optimize it for Pandora, don't you think? I had once installed an older N64 emulator under FreeBSD on a PC with a slow 3D graphics card, and it worked ok, so I don't see why a N64 emulator shouldn't be possible on Pandora. Anyway, this is just my two cents worth (Eurocents, that is) ;-)

tramp said:
I found several open source emulators, eg. 1964 and daedalus. If daedalus is indeed platform independent, then it might be possible to optimize it for Pandora, don't you think? I had once installed an older N64 emulator under FreeBSD on a PC with a slow 3D graphics card, and it worked ok, so I don't see why a N64 emulator shouldn't be possible on Pandora. Anyway, this is just my two cents worth (Eurocents, that is) ;-)
i wanna pay 10 bucks like i said...
But no dev has come yet, so i dont think its likely that this is gonna happen.
To bad though, n64 is on my top 3 of emu's i want, together with psp and ds games.

Evan~NL said:
aahhrrcch men... youre ruining my suprize.. i have jamesbond goldeneye almostly running on my beagle!
I can start the game but as soon as i fire the first shot it freezes in ten sec...
I like the money idea but ill be prob the first ^^

Did anyone else catch this post (on page 7, I think)? Is this guy for real?

wermy said:
Evan~NL said:
aahhrrcch men... youre ruining my suprize.. i have jamesbond goldeneye almostly running on my beagle!
I can start the game but as soon as i fire the first shot it freezes in ten sec...
I like the money idea but ill be prob the first ^^

Did anyone else catch this post (on page 7, I think)? Is this guy for real?
i dont think so.

Back