Nintendo 64 Emulation

The Xbox has a 733MHz processor and 64MB of RAM.

I've heard conflicting information of the Pandora's raw processing capabilities (from 600MHz to 750MHz) and it has 256MB RAM.

Also, someone earlier in the thread said the xbox is Pentium III-based -- I believe it's actually a Celeron. Either way, though, it's kind of a moot point as they (the ARM and x86) are completely different architectures. I don't think there's much question as to wheter or not the Pandora could HANDLE it (the PSP has had some amazing developments with Deadalus -- far more than most expected -- and the Pandora is FAR more powerful than a PSP [again, different architectures, but it's a little more fair of a comparison in this case]). We just need a determined/talented developer to either code one from the ground up, or port one. Surely there's one out there, right? :(

I think the Pandora's clock is adjustable from 600 to 900 MHz. And if anyone compares clock speeds across different processor models [much less architectures] again, I will have to slap them.

lulzfish posted on May 24 2009 at 07:41 PM said:
I think the Pandora's clock is adjustable from 600 to 900 MHz. And if anyone compares clock speeds across different processor models [much less architectures] again, I will have to slap them.
the atom have moar mhz, so it got moar emulators then pandora rite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Xian Long posted on May 25 2009 at 12:35 AM said:
You, sir, seem to have experienced the state of utter FAIL.

lulzfish posted on May 24 2009 at 09:41 PM said:
I think it's adjustable up to 900Mhz (and even beyond if im correct, wise is another thing). So low clockspeeds for simple tasks like mp3 playing. (most should be automatic btw)

Failicious ;)

dflemstr posted on May 24 2009 at 10:39 PM said:
i hope everyone recognized that as sarcasm... (where's the slap?)

Xian Long posted on May 24 2009 at 07:28 PM) [quote="dflemstr posted on May 24 2009 at 10:39 PM said:
i hope everyone recognized that as sarcasm... (where's the slap?"]
[/quote]You mean it wasn't satire? ;P

-God Ginrai

lulzfish posted on May 24 2009 at 03:41 PM said:
It's guaranteed up to 600 Mhz. Experimentation has shown it stable under the right conditions up to 900 Mhz. But only count on 600, anything beyond is bonus.

Aethix posted on May 25 2009 at 02:11 AM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 24 2009 at 07:15 PM said:
-God Ginrai

I see. I should have been able to figure this out on my own, so please excuse me while I slap myself.
This is no different than how it is for cars or any other system. In cars, knowing the displacement size of the engine is useful, but you need a benchmark to measure real-world performance (ie horsepower). Even then, that doesn't tell the whole story. For instance, MIPS will tell me what kind of instruction throughput a processor is capable of, but real world factors bring that down (branches, pipeline flushes) as things like grip affect how close you get to theoretical max performance of a car.

anexanhume posted on May 26 2009 at 11:07 AM) [quote="Aethix posted on May 25 2009 at 02:11 AM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 24 2009 at 07:15 PM said:
-God Ginrai

I see. I should have been able to figure this out on my own, so please excuse me while I slap myself.
This is no different than how it is for cars or any other system. In cars, knowing the displacement size of the engine is useful, but you need a benchmark to measure real-world performance (ie horsepower). Even then, that doesn't tell the whole story. For instance, MIPS will tell me what kind of instruction throughput a processor is capable of, but real world factors bring that down (branches, pipeline flushes"] as things like grip affect how close you get to theoretical max performance of a car.[/quote]You know, analogies are supposed to compare what you're trying to explain to something simple and common knowledge, so that the listener/reader can understand. o.o

-God Ginrai

Can somebody please wheel out that chart again that shows the raw amount of calculations for different chipsets? I distinctly remember the Pandora was on par with the Pentium III chipset. The Xbox was a Pentium III Celeron at 733Mhz so probably about an even match?

There is no reasonable way to compare such vastly different systems. You're not just talking about dissimilar processors, there's also GPUs, sound processors, and various specialty chips involved. You've got varrying amounts of cache, system memory and video memory, all running at different speeds. The Pandora may be "as fast as an Xbox" at certain tasks under certain conditions, but generally there is just no base for comparison.

It would probably be plausibly accurate to say that the Pandora is "capable of running games and applications of a similar complexity and level of graphical sophistication as the Xbox", provided the software in question received the same sort of production effort (dozens of programmers, millions of dollars) as the average Xbox game.

God Ginrai posted on May 26 2009 at 08:07 PM said:
You know, analogies are supposed to compare what you're trying to explain to something simple and common knowledge, so that the listener/reader can understand. o.o

-God Ginrai
I don't know, i understood both "sides" of that analogy near equally. For somebody with some knowledge on cars, that's a great analogy.
(For somebody with a lot of knowledge on computers, that analogy actually works the another way :) )

urjaman posted on May 26 2009 at 02:33 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on May 26 2009 at 08:07 PM said:
You know, analogies are supposed to compare what you're trying to explain to something simple and common knowledge, so that the listener/reader can understand. o.o
-God Ginrai
I don't know, i understood both "sides" of that analogy near equally. For somebody with some knowledge on cars, that's a great analogy.
(For somebody with a lot of knowledge on computers, that analogy actually works the another way :) )

Yes, but he doesn't know if the person who he is talking to has much car knowledge. That's why he should have used something that he knew was commonplace.

-God Ginrai

I hate to say I told you so, but... ;)

javaJake posted on May 23 2009 at 07:36 PM said:
XBox, apples, oranges, pineapples, Pandoras, and pears: you can't compare them in the same chart, so don't even try.

This fella:
ashdjones posted on May 26 2009 at 02:01 PM said:
Can somebody please wheel out that chart again that shows the raw amount of calculations for different chipsets? I distinctly remember the Pandora was on par with the Pentium III chipset. The Xbox was a Pentium III Celeron at 733Mhz so probably about an even match?
Edit: And the "I told you so" came because I knew this conversation was going to degenerate into a CPU-vs-CPU discussion if it didn't stop, and I knew someone like Chip was going to come out and say this:
Chip posted on May 26 2009 at 02:19 PM said:
There is no reasonable way to compare such vastly different systems. You're not just talking about dissimilar processors, there's also GPUs, sound processors, and various specialty chips involved. You've got varrying amounts of cache, system memory and video memory, all running at different speeds. The Pandora may be "as fast as an Xbox" at certain tasks under certain conditions, but generally there is just no base for comparison.

Back