Nintendo 3DS

Yeah, Animal Crossing is relaxing in a way. Give it a try and see if it's your thing. I haven't been able to go back to it lately, but maybe that's just me.

It is really easy to CFW any 3DS/2DS, especially if you buy a special DS flashcart (around 20 bucks) that comes with a special partition I guess, that lets you mess around with boot.
You can go to https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and see for yourself. If you have basic IT skills (which I assume you have in spades), you will be able to follow the guide and have a nice hacked machine.

Yeah, my IT skills are remedial at best, and I was able to do mine just as described with no issues. I started off making mine an all in one "N" system as well, but I still found my Pandora to emulate better, and just opted to wait on my Pyra for anything further. It really is great with CFW, as it allows so many things, with my personal favorite addition probably being custom themes. Each person will be different in what they do, or like, but emulation for past systems is pretty good overall. Playing Snatcher from the Sega CD is AWESOME!

As for Animal Crossing, I'll give my history with the title. My first and only game was the DS one, which I tried, didn't like, and moved on. At the same time, my wife was looking for something "girly" for her DS, so I gave her AC to try. Weeks later, it was all she did in her spare time, and made me take another look. After hearing her talk about the game nonstop, I said this game sounds interesting, so I went back at it. Well, long story short, a year later, I finally stopped playing it daily and retired from it.

I've never played a game like that, and honestly I haven't played AC since, as I don't have the time to devote to the world. LOL Back then, we both worked full time, and when we came home, we played that together and it was something we could do as a couple. It was fun alone, or with someone else, as you could visit each other's towns, and trade goods, etc. When the 3DS version came out, I didn't even bother, not because I thought I wouldn't like it, but because I didn't want it to take over my life again. My wife and son play together sometimes, but my wife did play it for a good while, but eventually each player stops, but it's different for each person. It's a great game, and very different to most gaming "norms", but if you know what your getting in to, you'll probably love it, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Chris

Yeah, my IT skills are remedial at best, and I was able to do mine just as described with no issues. I started off making mine an all in one "N" system as well, but I still found my Pandora to emulate better, and just opted to wait on my Pyra for anything further. It really is great with CFW, as it allows so many things, with my personal favorite addition probably being custom themes. Each person will be different in what they do, or like, but emulation for past systems is pretty good overall. Playing Snatcher from the Sega CD is AWESOME!

Chris
Surprisingly enough, I find that even the official SNES VC on the 3DS is not as good as the Pandora's SNES9X4P by Ivanovic/Skeezix in terms of input lag. I don't know how that bloody emulator manages to avoid the input lag that plagues every other SNES emu I have ever tried. The audio is much better on the 3DS though, much to my chagrin.
But yeah, Pandora is still the Queen of emulation, definitely, but I think the 3DS shines when you actually play the games that it can play natively, namely GBA, DS, 3DS. Everything else is better emulated on the Pandora.

Thanks for sharing your AC story! I tried the DS game once, it was slow and clunky compared to the newest 3DS one, which I wholeheartedly recommend if you enjoy AC gameplay at all. And I don't think of it as a game that can take over your life, to be honest I don't see it, very little stuff to do overall, or rather what there is to do is spread over months and years. So the best way to play is to fire it up for 15 minutes once a day or two. Otherwise I think it kinda gets boring with little to do.

Thanks for the recommendations! I was recently looking at Animal Crossing actually, it sounds relaxing and I like the idea of a single player persistent world game with lots of AI characters.

as someone who's been playing AC for ~8 years almost every day... i'd say it's very very chill and peaceful. i play on the train to and from work (overall around 20 minutes per day) and longer on the weekends (maybe two hours overall; more if there's an event going on and i want to participate in it) :) the best thing is, whatever's going on in your town, you can participate in it, but you never have to. there's no malus if you opt out of anything, plus you can't mess up the game in any way. people say harvest moon and similar games are pretty chill, until you manage to ruin yourself by buying/planting the "wrong" crops, getting a cow during the wrong season, or building a part of the ranch you can't use yet but the game didn't tell you that (stress bonus points for crafting + npc fetch quests: i always end up with a shopping list of materials and recipes that i can't really decipher after not playing for a day, and even if i can, i feel like i'm just doing annoying chores. props to people who can handle that stuff; i can't (sorry for the mini rant, i'm currently writing a short essay about why i didn't include crafting in a "chill accessible anti-stress game" project so i tend to blab about that stuff all the time :|)).

btw the worst thing that happened to me in AC was when i ordered some furniture that looked ugly with the carpet i had in my main room, so i had to go out and buy a different carpet. so yeah, it's a pretty chill game.

This month, I've done some unforgivable things...

I'VE SOLD MY

original 3DS (x 4, some limited editions)

3DS XL (x 7, some limited editions)

new 3DS XL (x 3, some limited editions)

2DS (x 2)

new 2DS XL (x 2)

Now, 99% of my game time is invested in Nintendo Switch <3

This month, I've done some unforgivable things...

I'VE SOLD MY

original 3DS (x 4, some limited editions)

3DS XL (x 7, some limited editions)

new 3DS XL (x 3, some limited editions)

2DS (x 2)

new 2DS XL (x 2)

Now, 99% of my game time is invested in Nintendo Switch <3
I hope you at least kept your favourite 3DS? (+backup unit)
And your games?

I started collecting 3DS games just before the Switch came out...so I could benefit from all the short sighted peeps selling their collections to fund THE NEXT BEST THING.

When will the Switch start looking interesting to me?

Well, obviously... When
THE NEXT BEST THING comes out.

... Or they release a version that's backwards compatible with 3DS carts... and has 3D... None of this 2DS *nooneuses3Danyway* bullshit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I didn't keep any.

Nintendo Switch forever :caanoo: :wiz: :gp2x: :gp32: :p&|a:
9364664221726.jpg

When I was selling a lot of my games to fund my bicycle tour none of my DS stuff was worth anything. I even had sealed games and they weren't even worth listing on ebay. My SNES, 64, Genesis, and some PC boxed games sold well(one gold N64 gold controller sold for $200) but DS and Game Gear weren't worth listing. My GBA stuff didn't even go for much. It makes me think that handhelds just aren't worth much in the second hand market.

Perhaps the DS was still a little new at the time of your tour. Most devices usually fall a little as they become old hat, then pick up again as people who remember then from their youth can afford to rebuy them. And then finally either they become rare, or they become old rubbish. The game gear is probably a special case; the games were faintly dissappointing at the time, and most old GGs had cap rot which means the picture's now even worse and sound is lacking.

Edit: Glisieplinm or on other words I got the letters in the wrong rodre.

Last edited:
Perhaps the DS was still a little new at the time of your tour. Most devices usually fall a little as they become old hat, then pick up again as people who remember then from their youth can afford to rebuy them. And then finally either they become rare, or they become old rubbish. The game gear is probably a special case; the games were faintly dissappointing at the time, and most old GGs had cap tor which means the picture's now even worse and sound is lacking.
Yeah, I can see that. There at the end my GG screen was washed out pretty bad. I let my little brother BORROW it and he gave it away but I doubt I could have played it anyway.

The GBA games didn't go for much either, and the few GBC and GB games I had it box didn't go for as much as I thought. However old SNES and Genesis are seemed to be the sweet spot for age, like people that grew up with them now have the cash to throw at them. I didn't even have much but what I did have had the box so I think that is why they went for so much.

Oh well. Don't mind me... I just bought a bunch of old Game Boy DMG's to fix up and mod.

Different strokes for different folks.
That's what I do occasionally. I should probably sell a few since I have more than I need, but which ones do I get rid of? I like em all.

Im still planing to use my NEW3DS XL more again, Wario Ware Gold was my newest 3DS Game since i bought the Switch,
So i abonded my 3DS 1 Year ago,
Its a shame as its still a great device, and mybe the best solution to play DS Games in this Days,
Its only a bit slow compared to the Switch but thanks to my pretty oversiced 6000 mah Batteriepack i bought, its got the most batterielive of my whole Handheld Collection ..

My Entertainment Pack for Vacations contains: Book, 3DS Switch, GBA Micro whit EverDrive GBA, and a Powerbank,
Pandora is in my Pockets

Im still planing to use my NEW3DS XL more again, Wario Ware Gold was my newest 3DS Game since i bought the Switch,
So i abonded my 3DS 1 Year ago,
Its a shame as its still a great device, and mybe the best solution to play DS Games in this Days,
Its only a bit slow compared to the Switch but thanks to my pretty oversiced 6000 mah Batteriepack i bought, its got the most batterielive of my whole Handheld Collection ..

My Entertainment Pack for Vacations contains: Book, 3DS Switch, GBA Micro whit EverDrive GBA, and a Powerbank,
Pandora is in my Pockets
What's that in your pocketses... o_O ...

Just played The Legend of Zelda: OoT

#NeverGetsOld

#AtLeastTillTheWaterTemple

I don't know how I completed that back in the late 90s when I played it for the first time on the original hardware. When it came to that point in the 3DS re-release in spite of the informational panels they'd added to try to make it less frustrating, I just couldn't be arsed. Perhaps just cos I knew how near the end I was then, and I vaguely remembered what was coming, so knew what the payoff for completing it would be.

I've decided to get back into 3DS gaming next month, which means I'm gonna have to buy a 3DS :(
You're a melon.
I remember when you sold all your 3DS stuff (presumably to spend it on the Switch), and I was like:

Why... Whyyyy...... Whyyyyyyyyy!!.......?

#NeverSellingMy3DS

I'm still collecting for it actually... I still want to get the Luigi's Mansion remake, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, and Yo-Kai Watch 3. After that I think I'm done.
I have pretty much everything I want... I would like to get the physical carts for the digital titles I have, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Then I can start thinking about beginning with the Switch... On the Pro version of course (was waiting for that).

But I may just get a second hand GBA SP instead, and refurb it, and reacquire the games I had for it... It was stolen yonks ago, and I still miss it.

I have 2 original Game Boys now that I personally refurbed to mint condition, and another 2 not so mint, and a Game Boy Color. The ones from my childhood were also stolen (borrowed and never returned, which amounts to stealing). I won't lend anything to anyone anymore. In fact I will distance myself from anyone who I think might be a person who does not respect what is sacred to others.

#PreferMyOwnStuffOverHavingFriends

#FriendsWhoStealAreNotFriends

#SingleHappyHermitForLife!

Back