Nintendo 3DS

What do you personally place the value of that 3DS and the Vita you traded for it?  I don't know what either usually goes for, not that it matters for a trade.
Here in the states, that Yoshi XL goes for about $200-250 new, and $125-200 used(depending on condition, and bonuses). Depending on the Vita model, most of those go for well under those numbers, unless you have a LE set. So I would say SONY got the better side of the deal, depending on what was included.

Stop looking @my gfs rack <_<

:p
I thought it was yours?
:lol:

Exactly why I didn't comment.  I didn't know who she was, and some people get angry (sometimes excessively) about comments about their family, friends, or partners.
What do you personally place the value of that 3DS and the Vita you traded for it?  I don't know what either usually goes for, not that it matters for a trade.
1. It's all good mate, I wouldn't get upset :)  

2. Personally, AU$50 for Vita WiFi model (it's the old OLED model) and AU$100 for the 3DS XL.

Exactly why I didn't comment.  I didn't know who she was, and some people get angry (sometimes excessively) about comments about their family, friends, or partners.
That was the exact reason I commented ;)
Chris
LMFAO :D

I thought it was yours?
Don't make me repost a certain bra pic! <_<

Just got a non-XL new 3DS, first of the DS line I've actually owned.
3ds_inside.jpg
And I got this really nice MM cover plate for it

3ds_back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to necrobump, but it was that or create a new thread.

Etrian Odyssey X announced. https://gematsu.com/2018/04/etrian-odyssey-x-announced-for-3ds

Will this be the last great 3DS game? Yeah, probably.

America's gotten every Etrian game made so far, I think. Europe missed a few, but got the last one, Etrian Odyssey V, so here's hoping for you guys. That reminds me, what happened to Etrian VI - IX? I guess they're hiding wherever Windows 9 and iPhone 9 are at.

I adore clamshell handhelds and 3DS is my favourite so far. I like to shut it close to pause any game complete with sound and music at any time. So satisfying to know you have a complete and utter pause and will come back later at the exact same moment you left the game the same instant you open your console. A powerful gesture and total control, love it.

I think I'll try some Etrian Odyssey at some point. Heard a lot of praise about the class system and the meditative dungeon crawling in this series. I'm not that fond of anime shenanigans but I learned to like Japanese RPGs and dungeon crawls and "chess" tactics games for what they are since there are no Ultima 10, Might and Magic 11 or Pool of Radiance 2 coming to any handheld in the nearest 100 years. I used to miss the "epicness", pathos, humour and genuine cheesiness of sci-fi settings of RPGs of the yesteryear and recently re-discovered them in jRPGs like Bravely Default or Xenoblade Chronicles 3D on 3DS. They are of course sprinkled with weird design choices, cultural quirks and gratuitous erotica them being japanese exports but it is still the next best thing.

Hope I'll be able to save some money and enjoy me some Wasteland and Lands of Lore on Pyra when it comes out, I expect no rock solid clamshell pause here though :)!

Sorry to necrobump, but it was that or create a new thread.

Etrian Odyssey X announced. https://gematsu.com/2018/04/etrian-odyssey-x-announced-for-3ds

Will this be the last great 3DS game? Yeah, probably.

Sadly, unless this game was being developed with dual/multiple languages from the start, there's very little chance this will see a release outside of the Japanese version. The 3DS is all but done in regards to new content, and only a handful of games are left to release this year, and most are ports from "N", as they are obligated to produce new content until they stop 2DS/3DS production. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/3ds/upcoming

Most games left are quick ports, or long term translations that developers neither need to move to NS, or just roll the dice and release ASAP and see what happens on the 3DS. A few developers have talk about how the 3DS ending has hurt sales, and that's why a game like Dragon Quest 11 for the 3DS is only being released in Japan, and the only English option is PS4/PC, with the NS version just starting development. The NS version is years away(or a rush job if offered sooner), and this version is going to be a lesser version of the PS4 game, and not an upgrade of the 3DS version. Which really sucks, as the 3DS had some cool dual screen features, but I guess since there are no more dual screen devices, no surprise the NS version will be based on the PS4 game.

I honestly don't understand why every Japanese RPG doesn't do translations as the game is being developed, as it would save time and funds. All current gen systems are 100% region free for the most part, so unless a game is very culture specific at this point, all games should have multiple language options. Yes, it may cost a little more upfront, but in the long run it's a solid investment. Sadly, Japan is very old school in much that they do, so unless some new blood actually shows the benefits of translations during the creation cycle, it's doubtful it becomes a standard anytime soon. Which also means many games won't get translations, due to the time and cost involved in doing it after the fact.

Chris

Arrgh, punched right in the hopes and dreams. Thanks a lot, Chris. :'(

At least I have a PS4 for Dragon Quest XI...

LOL, yeah, sorry about that. I just didn't want you wasting your time on a dream that's never gonna happen. But, even though I tell it like it is, I can also bring the positive. I'll say there is always a chance of a fan translation, as the 3DS has a pretty big user base, so over time, I think some of the larger games could see translations.

Chris

BUMP &...

Heyz~

Anyone here still play their 3DS (original, XL, New, New XL) or 2DS (original or New XL)?

I must admit that I still love playing mine on a daily basis.
I've put over 500 online gaming hours onto Street Fighter IV alone :D

This might change when I one day get a Nintendo Switch :)

2018_05_25_23_11_28.jpg

BUMP &...

Heyz~

Anyone here still play their 3DS (original, XL, New, New XL) or 2DS (original or New XL)?

I must admit that I still love playing mine on a daily basis.
I've put over 500 online gaming hours onto Street Fighter IV alone :D

This might change when I one day get a Nintendo Switch :)

Damn Sony, is that you? Long time no see, how have you been?

As for the 3DS, it's been my most played device this past/current generation. I did add CFW to it last year, so that of course extended it's life, but I'm still working thru tons of great games, and since I have no plans for an NS anytime soon, I'm still happy with it. My son did get a NS for Christmas last year, but I rarely play it. We got Zelda on the Wii U, so Mario Odyssey was really the only other unique game I cared about, and it's fun, but nothing I hadn't played before. My son didn't even play it much and he loves all things Mario.

The 3DS while not as good as the DS was, it has been pretty damn good. I'm still looking forward to the last few titles "N" has planned, and while mostly ports, or new coats of paint, there all solid titles that I can't wait to play on the 3DS. I gave up all my XL models due to size and weight, so my main unit is the N3DS small size with the custom plates. I love this unit, but reading some of the text in games has been getting harder, as most games are done on consoles as well, and they don't seem to adjust the size for the smaller screens. I never have issues reading text on games made for mobile/handheld systems only.

I may get the N2DS XL at some point, as I've always like the bigger screens of the XL, but not the added weight and how it felt to hold. The N2DS is light and feels amazing in the hands, so I'm just waiting for a proper price drop, or a themed system I really want. But if that never happens, I'll stick to my current 3DS, as I've been using that model pretty much non stop since I first got it. Which was a year after every place else in the world got that unit, as NoA sucks ass and then some. LOL

Chris

Damn Sony, is that you? Long time no see, how have you been?

As for the 3DS, it's been my most played device this past/current generation. I did add CFW to it last year, so that of course extended it's life, but I'm still working thru tons of great games, and since I have no plans for an NS anytime soon, I'm still happy with it. My son did get a NS for Christmas last year, but I rarely play it. We got Zelda on the Wii U, so Mario Odyssey was really the only other unique game I cared about, and it's fun, but nothing I hadn't played before. My son didn't even play it much and he loves all things Mario.

The 3DS while not as good as the DS was, it has been pretty damn good. I'm still looking forward to the last few titles "N" has planned, and while mostly ports, or new coats of paint, there all solid titles that I can't wait to play on the 3DS. I gave up all my XL models due to size and weight, so my main unit is the N3DS small size with the custom plates. I love this unit, but reading some of the text in games has been getting harder, as most games are done on consoles as well, and they don't seem to adjust the size for the smaller screens. I never have issues reading text on games made for mobile/handheld systems only.

I may get the N2DS XL at some point, as I've always like the bigger screens of the XL, but not the added weight and how it felt to hold. The N2DS is light and feels amazing in the hands, so I'm just waiting for a proper price drop, or a themed system I really want. But if that never happens, I'll stick to my current 3DS, as I've been using that model pretty much non stop since I first got it. Which was a year after every place else in the world got that unit, as NoA sucks ass and then some. LOL

Chris

For myself I concluded I need XL and non-XL. For example Bravely Default looks horrible on XL to me. So many fine details there and bigger stretched pixels ruin it for me. On the other hand games like Kid Ikarus Uprising are so much better on a bigger screen, because it plays more like a cartoon so all models are chunky and read well and bigger pixels don't matter. Not sure if that makes sense.

In any case. Love my 3DS(es). I have an original aqua blue and a N3DSXL, contemplating buying a N3DS, but something is holding me off. Better make that decision sooner than later because these systems start to disappear online.

Still using my NDS Lite regularly.

Now that's OG right there! LOL

I still have mine as I modded it with a clear case years ago, and I can't bare to part with it, as it just looks so damn cool. Haven't actually played it since the 3DS came along, as I can play all the DS games there, just more of a convenience I guess, but the DS Lite is probably my favorite "N" system behind the SNES.

Chris

Now that's OG right there! LOL
What about me and @matzesu? I use GB/MGB/GBC/GBA and he uses GBA micro. Do we get any geek cred?

My Lite is around here somewhere, and I also, rarely, use a DSi. I am more often using an original DS for GBA games in the dark (and my GBA screen has a vertical red line).

I use my Metroid 3DS when I have time and attention to devote to completing Xenoblade.

Lately I've been thinking about getting an old-style 2DS. Not a fan of most colors and its weaker build quality, but it's got an ok price new, best ergonomics according to what I've read, and a decade of relatively modern quality games. Searching around on ebay though, even old DS games from 10 years ago are still quite pricey ($12-20). Any recommendations for someone new looking into this?

Hmm, best games playable on a 2DS?

From the DS era, I enjoyed MarioKart DS almost as much as I enjoyed Super Circuit back in the day, although it's fair to say a MarioKart game since hasn't really grabbed me, so maybe it was just a phase I was going through. More recently, I picked up a copy of Rhythm Paradise/Rhythm Heaven rather cheaply, which is a fun rhythm game with a touch of warioware and a wicked sense of humour. Also, I remember playing a lot of picross/picross3D and for me with it's touchscreen it was really the platform for those games, and I'd recommend them if you enjoy slightly easy puzzle games.

Lately I've been thinking about getting an old-style 2DS. Not a fan of most colors and its weaker build quality, but it's got an ok price new, best ergonomics according to what I've read, and a decade of relatively modern quality games. Searching around on ebay though, even old DS games from 10 years ago are still quite pricey ($12-20). Any recommendations for someone new looking into this?
I really recommend Gotta Protectors. It's like a hybrid between a tower defense game and an action-rpg, with cute retro style about it. Also, there's a pixie shopkeeper that threatens to bash your teeth in if you keep nagging her. Good stuff. You can buy it on eShop.
People keep recommending Animal Crossing but I'm not sure, I find it a bit boring and repetitive.
Oh, and if you're into hacking, you can easily turn your device into a perfect GBA. 3DS (and 2DS obv) have some GBA guts inside that, with some tinkering, allows them to natively play GBA games. That way, you can have a console that plays GBA, DS, and 3DS games natively, which I think is very cool.

Thanks for the recommendations! I was recently looking at Animal Crossing actually, it sounds relaxing and I like the idea of a single player persistent world game with lots of AI characters.

Oh, and if you're into hacking, you can easily turn your device into a perfect GBA. 3DS (and 2DS obv) have some GBA guts inside that, with some tinkering, allows them to natively play GBA games. That way, you can have a console that plays GBA, DS, and 3DS games natively, which I think is very cool.
Oh, is it still easy to put a custom firmware on devices you can buy in store today? That would add another layer of interest to it for sure, although I was mostly looking at this as a simple dumb fun device :D

Thanks for the recommendations! I was recently looking at Animal Crossing actually, it sounds relaxing and I like the idea of a single player persistent world game with lots of AI characters.

Oh, is it still easy to put a custom firmware on devices you can buy in store today? That would add another layer of interest to it for sure, although I was mostly looking at this as a simple dumb fun device :D
Yeah, Animal Crossing is relaxing in a way. Give it a try and see if it's your thing. I haven't been able to go back to it lately, but maybe that's just me.

It is really easy to CFW any 3DS/2DS, especially if you buy a special DS flashcart (around 20 bucks) that comes with a special partition I guess, that lets you mess around with boot.
You can go to https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and see for yourself. If you have basic IT skills (which I assume you have in spades), you will be able to follow the guide and have a nice hacked machine.

Back