Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS Gets Sudden, Massive Price Drop
Boy, those 3DS sales sure fell off a cliff. So much so that Nintendo has instituted one of the swiftest and deepest price cuts for a handheld in recent memory.

The 3DS only went on sale earlier this year for $249, but as of August 12, it'll be slashed all the way down to $169.99. That's...wow.

Next month, 3DS will drop to $170?

3dstop2.jpg
I remember when it came out I said it was too expensive. I thought it should have came out for $169 US. I mean $250 for a handheld in the days of cellphones iPads etc was way too much.

The problem is they blew it. Since it came out at $250 during a global great recession "no one" bought it. Now it has the badge of being a "failure" which is repeated over and over at game sites like IGN. Now they have bad press to overcome, as well as everyone saying they are dumping it at fire sale prices to get rid of it.

If it launched at $169 it would have sold much better which in turn would have generated more buzz which would have generated more 3rd party games being worked on insted of being delayed or cancelled. Nintendo really misjudged the market and got greedy it seems.

It will be interesting to see how the Vita does. I guess it will do better at first due to Sony's hardcore following and the hype but even that may fall off after the beginning after the fans all get theirs. I mean is a touch pad on the back really that compelling? It is powerful but is basically a PSP the size of a skateboard with better graphics.
I'm currently in the process of composing a little post to counteract what you've just said.

Now it has the badge of being a "failure" which is repeated over and over at game sites like IGN. Now they have bad press to overcome, as well as everyone saying they are dumping it at fire sale prices to get rid of it.
And the DS was subject to lies based around the very same falsehoods back at this point in its life, too.

As I said earlier, it's all just history repeating. :p
It seems IGN has become the "Fox news" of game sites.

We distort, you divide!

Target started selling at the discount price early. I stopped in and bought one for my girlfriend, set it up, and not only did I save $70 but she gets the freebies too.

You know a console is gonna succeed when your mother buys one, which mine just did as she couldn't stop playing Rabbids 3d on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
How have you guys customised your player-Rabbid? Mine's wearing a suit of armour and a cowboy-hat. :p

Is it possible that I can get a EU 3DS for 170 usd? Got a mail from "Game" that they have lowered the price to 1499 nok = 272 usd... :p

Im locking forward to the ambassador Programm, i byed 2 E-Shop Cards a 25 €, and they are now empty, i loadet the good things from the e-shop: Plants vs Zombies ("Brains"), Shantae Risky Ravenge (nice Jump an Run), Mario Land, Kirby, and Game and Watch Gallerie, and Lets Golf 3D, and now i have about 8 € left on the E-Shop.., so luckly the 10 NES, and 10 GBA Games are for free..

It was a bit dificult to geht the E-Shop Cards, there were only 2 Game Stops in the City, and i had to use the tram, to went to the gamestop, because the huge travel on the road.., and on the way home, i had no loss too use the tram, because it cost 2,40 € each way.., so i went on foot to my car in the park house and are driving home..

Ok, a lot of the Games, i can also play on the Pandora, but there are for free..

^ You may want to do some number-crunching, and make sure that taking that route won't end up more expensive.

For example, in some countries, such as my own, protectionism import duty limits are set so low (£18, including shipping costs, here), that importing ends up more expensive than buying local releases.

i just recieved my £17.50 3ds today :D and i must say i didnt buy one for the camera but i am mightily impressed with it conisidering the size of it. I got some awsome looking snaps of my vivariums using it. would have been nice if nintendo could have put some nice big 8mp cameras in the back.

Its a shame nintendo wont make these at a loss like sony do with there consoles and beef it up abit.

Back