Nintendo 3DS

Does anyone have any inkling that there will be an in-time-for-christmas 3DS refresh? I'm really itching to buy one now, but don't want to face the same burnination as the early adopters.

Also, has anyone played Ocarina of Time on their 3DS? It's my main reason for wanting to pick one up, aside from the analogue stick being awesome for DS games and me having Golden Sun 3 to complete.
Just wait for what Nintendo shows us in about 7 days from now. Who knows? It might be a 3DS lite or 3DS XL. :p

@ Cas

I apologize for making you feel threatened here and also publicly calling you out as a bully.

Hello

Thank very much for that appreciated.

Lets move on :)

No worries, mate. I'm happy with peace.

it might be a 3DS lite or 3DS XL. :p

Dear god. I forgot that Nintendo tended towards insanity when refreshing products.

Hopefully I'll survive that 7 days!
Whatever it is, I'm really excited for Nintendo's presser next week, post or pre (I forget?) TGS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any inkling that there will be an in-time-for-christmas 3DS refresh? I'm really itching to buy one now, but don't want to face the same burnination as the early adopters.
If I am correct with this belief, which of course remains to be seen, the second 3DS analogue pad add-on is probably misinterpreted by many people. As it has been said before in this thread, "Monster Hunter Tri" for Wii also was available bundled with the Classic Controller Pro, which suggests that Nintendo and/or Capcom might believe that for Monster Hunter, the player should have a very comfortable and more "classic" controller. Nintendo explicitly decided against building a second analogue pad into the 3DS because the touch and motion controls can be used instead, but for various reasons this wouldn't be optimal for Monster Hunter.

Also, the purpose of the infrared port of the 3DS is probably to enable game creators and publishers to release peripherals that are cheap to produce and don't consume much power (thereby potentially making it even cheaper, e.g. by lack of a rechargeable battery). "Personal Trainer: Walking" / "Walk with me!", released by Nintendo for Nintendo DS, has an infrared port built into the cartridge for communicating with the included pedometers. This makes the idea of a second analogue pad peripheral that is included with Monster Hunter for 3DS and rarely being used in other games (if at all) sound even more plausible.

I think there will be an in-time-for-christmas reSTART of the 3DS, but the release of a new 3DS revision that comes with an included second analogue pad seems to be extremely unlikely to me.

[...] the analogue stick being awesome for DS games [...]
This can be read in two ways:

In case you believe that DS games will support the analogue nature of the analogue pad (i.e., if you push it into a direction slightly, you character/car/plane/controllable-in-game-object will move into that direction slighty), then I have to inform you that that is not the case since the analogue pad acts digitally (like the D-Pad) in DS games, activating the directions "left", "right", "up" and/or "down" as soon as it's far away enough from its center resting position.

If, however, you mean that it is a very comfortable D-Pad replacement, then yes, you are right, and at least I am using it for digital control quite often. I even play Contra 4 for DS with the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad, which is probably an indication of how well it serves this purpose.

all of you are worrying about this too much. monster hunter is only for asia and no other game has any mention of using the 2nd circle pad. although this would be a very nice feature to use to help the left-handers and their complaints towards 3ds

@Christoph - That's my thinking also. I mean, we all remember when they revised the Wii to only include a Classic Controller, right? Oh, wait, we don't? ;) Hehe.

Also, regarding the IR port, you're quite correct on that. The first game to include an IR port peripheral is likely to be Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, incidentally. It, like the home versions, comes with a "Portal of Power" that you place the game's action figures on in order to scan them into the game-world. The 3DS version of the accessory interfaces via the IR port. (Yes, this game is very high on my want-list, especially after the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3 left a gap for a colourful, optimistic adventure. I love stuff that just looks like pure fun, and the involvement of two of the writers of the original Toy Story is a nice bonus, too.)

@DM - Precisely. Indeed, I would wager this is just for the few niche games where it's just not possible to provide an alternative control scheme at all. It's already known to be optional for Monster Hunter, even.

EDIT: Whoops, I had the wrong link about that game in there before. Fixed.

If, however, you mean that it is a very comfortable D-Pad replacement, then yes, you are right, and at least I am using it for digital control quite often. I even play Contra 4 for DS with the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad, which is probably an indication of how well it serves this purpose.

Indeed. I had a 3DS for a couple of weeks and played Golden Sun 3 on it from a bit. I should have been more specific; Although the 3DS stick doesn't magically make 3DS control analogue, it's really satisfying to use. I prefer it to the D-Pad on my Fat DS.

Glad to be among more folks who like the Circle Pad as a d-pad substitute. It just out and out feels better. :p It's even fine for actions that you need to double-tap a direction for, in my experience, which most analogue-as-digital implementations seem to fare poorly at.

The only use my 3DS' d-pad really gets is for the things mapped to it in Star Fox 64 3D. Training mode doesn't tell you about anything aside from pressing right on the d-pad to change the viewpoint, but you can also press up to loop, down to turn, and left to answer calls instead of tapping the touch-screen to do so.

I mean, we all remember when they revised the Wii to only include a Classic Controller, right? Oh, wait, we don't? ;) Hehe.
Ah, memories. This makes me remember the later era of the Gamecube when, instead of being bundled with a controller, the console was sold bundled with nothing but a pair of bongos. They made playing Metroid Prime so much better.

No, wait...

The first game to include an IR port peripheral is likely to be Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, incidentally. [...] (Yes, this game is very high on my want-list, especially after the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3 left a gap for a colourful, optimistic adventure. I love stuff that just looks like pure fun, [...]
If you have not played them yet, have a look at the underrated games "

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4mADNRKY4sg?feature=oembed&start=210
Actually, the only non-modified digital input on a mobile device that I like better than the 3DS' circle pad is the Pandora's d-pad (which itself is virtually perfect in my opinion). Playing Super Smash Bros. on 3DS (and Wii U) might turn out to be a lot of fun (well, more so than I expect it to be anyway).

The first game to include an IR port peripheral is likely to be Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, incidentally. [...] (Yes, this game is very high on my want-list, especially after the cancellation of MegaMan Legends 3 left a gap for a colourful, optimistic adventure. I love stuff that just looks like pure fun, [...]
If you have not played them yet, have a look at the underrated games "

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4mADNRKY4sg?start=210&feature=oembed
I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I'm no fan of any Zelda game past the first two (they're just not to my taste), and Super Mario Sunshine is just Super Mario 64 part two, and words cannot describe how much I dislike Super Mario 64 and its dull trudgingness. :(

I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I'm no fan of any Zelda game past the first two (they're just not to my taste), and Super Mario Sunshine is just Super Mario 64 part two, and words cannot describe how much I dislike Super Mario 64 and its dull trudgingness. :(
Like I said, underrated. ;)

No, seriously. Since there are several ways of "trudgingness", of which some are desirable in some types of games, and I am not absolutely sure which of the trudgingnesses you do not like in Super Mario 64, everything I will say is that Super Mario Galaxy is sometimes referred to as "The true Super Mario 64 2", and that the game mechanics of Super Mario Sunshine are less "linear" in comparison to those of Super Mario 64.

I should have been clearer. ;) I dislike slow-paced games a great deal, and I feel that Super Mario 64 and modern Zelda titles are just that (and not at all like the earlier games which I actually do find to be fun) - I don't find it fun to trudge around a sparse polygonal world where not enough is going on to suit my tastes. It causes me to lose interest exceptionally quickly. :p (As an aside, I was utterly appalled by having to spend an hour on a forced tutorial in Ocarina of Time, too, as well as being told how to play it all the time. That's just not to my tastes, and I gave up on it quite quickly. I very much dislike that game, as well.)

Since so many games are now like that, I now barely buy new games at all, and home-console titles almost never get my attention (when even spending £10 on a massively-cut-price title feels like a burn, I know something's not right). I've always been pretty handheld-centric anyway, that said, but once upon a time there were home-console games I felt were worth playing, and there are far, far fewer of them now. :p

I should have been clearer. ;) I dislike slow-paced games a great deal, and I feel that Super Mario 64 and modern Zelda titles are just that (and not at all like the earlier games which I actually do find to be fun) - I don't find it fun to trudge around a sparse polygonal world where not enough is going on to suit my tastes. It causes me to lose interest exceptionally quickly. :p (As an aside, I was utterly appalled by having to spend an hour on a forced tutorial in Ocarina of Time, too, as well as being told how to play it all the time. That's just not to my tastes, and I gave up on it quite quickly. I very much dislike that game, as well.)

Since so many games are now like that, I now barely buy new games at all, and home-console titles almost never get my attention (when even spending £10 on a massively-cut-price title feels like a burn, I know something's not right). I've always been pretty handheld-centric anyway, that said, but once upon a time there were home-console games I felt were worth playing, and there are far, far fewer of them now. :p

Ah, now I see what you mean - that's the reason for why I took several breaks when I played Super Mario 64 for the first time (and then never played it through again)(and I guess most people here can understand what you mean from at least your specific comparison between older and newer games).

One example of the difference between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine: Super Mario Sunshine lets you quickly travel long distances through endless belly-sliding after you jumped onto a wet spot on the floor (that is, nearly everywhere, because you can shoot water). You usually discover this by observing and combining details. There is also a special speed nozzle, but it consumes extraordinary amounts of water and is only available sometimes, which means that the clever* observer wins. Also, by observing the surroundings and combining learned movements (to which the water gun adds another layer) in a clever* way, you can take shortcuts VERY often. Like in this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XPv9BdVnAts?feature=oembed where the player activates the platforms but does not use many of them, and is also not using the manual lift (and apparently is deliberately not playing very fast; If I remember correctly, it is also not hard at all to get through that level without using any of the platforms except for one, but I probably don't remember correctly).

Imagine a Super Mario 64 that lets you make cascades of wall-jumps everywhere in a useful and quick way, and you might get a glimpse of the idea (unless we have different definitions of "enough going on" in this specific scenario). What's special in Super Mario Sunshine is that the diversity of the parts of the levels that you can skip prevents these parts from becoming boring and thus irrelevant in an interesting way.

Now, enough of that.

*The definition of clever that the majority of people has.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

I hope I can get onto the live stream this year. I had issues with last year's one.

lets see how my touchpad holds up for this. hope they dont hold too much back til the tokyo game show and announce at least one new thing

Back