Nintendo 3DS

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm waiting on a nice sum of money.hope i can afford a 3ds at launch.Amazon or play wont send electronics to ireland though,might get it at my local retailer.

Is it still released in Japan first? I could email some of my old contacts and see if I can get 100 units early if there is no region lock if anyone is interested?

Nintendo have at least said the system supports region locking. I'm not sure if publishers are going to make use of it though.

If you can get Japanese units though, it's probably worth it. I know a few people who are waiting for a 3DS Ouendan (which AFAIK hasn't been announced, but there you go).

It's released in Japan on the 26th of Feb according to wikipedia, almost a month before Europe.

Engadget reckons its region locked but at the disgression of the game developers.Its not certain though.engadget 3dsedit.and yes thanks for the offer.

Is it still released in Japan first? I could email some of my old contacts and see if I can get 100 units early if there is no region lock if anyone is interested?

Craigix, that's really nice offer. I would be really interested If I had any money ATM.

Kinda like the direction where future 3DS titles are going. 3DS itself seems bit bad with its low battery life and all.. But it does not matter since there is Pandora for all my portable goodness.

Sadly, it has been reported everywhere that it will be region locked. I normally get the imports whan I dont want to wait, but not being able to access the UK or US stores, or play the games is a deal breaker for me. Now if Japan had a 6 month lead time, I might consider it, but 1 month isn't to bad.

Thanks for the offer Craig, I would have took you up on it if the situation was differant.

Chris

I was interested until I saw the price. I'm debating whether to take the plunge now.

you know...this might be the first handheld where neither ED nor craigx have something negative to say about it compared to the pandora, even though it doesnt have dual nubs, a keyboard, long battery life, closed source...and yes the 3ds is very region locked, so japan systems will not do you any good, especially since they will only have japanese language as well

I've got my pre-order in now, and also one for Nintendogs + Cats, since Amazon hasn't activated pre-ordering for all of the launch titles yet. :p

@Craig - To back up what others have said, you may want to read this. The part where languages are mentioned almost sounds like the case of the iQue DS, which due to its support for character sets that no other DSes support, has software that non-Chinese DSes can't run.

Looks nice, but they didn't cover my primary concern: battery life. With the rumored 5-8 hours, I don't know if I want to plunk down $250. If it can get a reliable 8-10+ hours, I'll get it.

This is a bit sad considering I'm a big Nintendo fan... but I have standards.

^ I plan to gauge what it gets under real-world usage when I get mine, so I'll let you know. :p

5-8 hours with the 3D turned off, 3-5 with it on. The Region locking likely refers to the same thing they have on the DSi where you can only connect to the DSware store that applies to the region of the device as well as having a menu system written only in one language (I won a DSi from NISA and it took me a while to set up because all the menus where in japanese with no option to switch to english).

Some retailed games are also region-locked with the DSi, and going on the article I linked to, that could also be the case here (or not, apparently - it's a bit confusing).

the 3ds has already topped US amazon rankings in video games respectively. black at #1, blue at #2

Back