NexDock

bluedeer

Does anyone remember the NexDock, the Laptop-without-guts? Meant for plugging into things like a Raspberry Pi, or some smartphones, or other devices with USB and HDMI connections?

It's coming back. As of apparently October 1, 2019, they will be filling Pre-Orders. You can place a Pre-Order on the site right now. If you have any micro devices that may be compatible (And they advertise a Raspberry Pi as a compatible device, so others should be as well), it might be worth snagging one as a sort of all-in-one solution.

Looks like the Pre-Order Price is about $229 + $30 USD shipping. Might be worth checking out.

http://nexdock.com/

I'm interested in this, but I'll likely only hop on it if I see real units in the wild.

I'm interested in this, but I'll likely only hop on it if I see real units in the wild.
I'm tempted to see about picking one up, since I missed out on the last one. I could use it with various things, like my GPD Win.

It looks like it does contain some kind of battery as it says:
Never carry a power bank

Continue charging your phone while using NexDock.

Edit number 3: I just accidentally clicked on the picture of the rPI setup at the bottom and it took me
here. It shows that you need a USB-C to microUSB (for power) and type A for everything else USB Y-cable. And you need a HDMI cable for the screen (apparently full sized/type A, which is nice).

Edit4: And it seems their product name is in part an emoji ;)

It looks like it does contain some kind of battery as it says:

Edit number 3: I just accidentally clicked on the picture of the rPI setup at the bottom and it took me
here. It shows that you need a USB-C to microUSB (for power) and type A for everything else USB Y-cable. And you need a HDMI cable for the screen (apparently full sized/type A, which is nice).

Edit4: And it seems their product name is in part an emoji ;)

Yeah, you'd need different cables but I presume it would come with a few. If not, they should be fairly easy to obtain. There looks to be a small octopus in one of the lower images which looks like it might handle a USB C and a USB A breakout of some kind. It will be interesting to see what it comes with.

Well, the X D is automatically populating on the forum, and I have no idea how to unforce it. Hah!

They would have had me with VGA in. A mobile crash cart, yes please.

I recently put together a crash bag for work.

9" USB-powered HDMI monitor
Foldable USB keyboard/touchpad
VGA to HDMI converter
10" tablet bag

It hooks up to pretty much anything and cost about half what the nexdock is selling for.

they ran a kickstarter a while ago with better description :

also a vga-to-hdmi converter is 10€ these days

they ran a kickstarter a while ago with better description :

also a vga-to-hdmi converter is 10€ these days
I understand, my gripe is truely minor, I'm just saying, it probably wouldn't have been terribly hard to add the converter internally is all. Enumeration to hdmi means most things would require a converter rather than much cheaper and smaller adapters.

Given they're targetting phones and SBCs, show me one of those with a VGA connector on it. Most things they're targetting talk native HDMI, although the size and shape of ports may vary.

Given they're targetting phones and SBCs, show me one of those with a VGA connector on it. Most things they're targetting talk native HDMI, although the size and shape of ports may vary.
On their website under features http://nexdock.com/features/ (at bottom) they advertise a server crash cart as a use case. It's technically possible for blades to have HDMI, but 100% of servers I've messed with, and the poweredge they show only have VGA out

Edit, if you look closely, you can even see the front VGA port in their picture on the left by the usb/power (One in the rear as well)

Edit2, technically possible with a graphics adapter, but bad due to LoM normally having embeded video drivers in the image, you would very likely lose access to stuff like idrac etc.

Last edited:
Have you ever felt like someone has browsed your posting history to harvest your ideas then make crowd funded products based on them? I have...

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...for-ed-small-hdmi-monitor.82319/#post-1428859

If we want to get REAL fancy on this idea, use the whole Pyra shell, display, keymat with a dumb CPU board that flips the Pyra's HDMI output into an HDMI input. Then internally hub the USB connection into power, trackpad touchscreen, usb keyboard, joystick mouse (nubs). Effectively this version would be a Pyra terminal... Pyraminal? Hypothetically, this could use all existing Pyra hardware and just need a different CPU board with very little CPU, nearly no RAM and not much eMMC that stands all of the connectors on their head to be clients instead of hosts. It would be a pocket KVM - just connect it to USB and video output on the host computer. Holy crap - a person could even hook one up to a Pyra and play multiplayer games.

I feel like an idea has just been born...

Too expensive for basically an hdmi monitor, keyboard and battery.

I'm highly unimpressed

Last edited:
Back