Newsgroup Reader

DaMummy

Soldier Paste
has anyone ported a newsgroup reader for people that will use panda as a netbook? search results tell me that there are open source ng readers so im just wondering if anyone has put the time in? or if i can at least expect one days after release?

Haha, I read this as RSS reader and typed up a post on that.... ANYWAY.

I use sabnzbd+ on Linux, which is literally just a python program. There's no porting needed to get it running on Pandora, not even a recompile. However, I really suggest only using it when you absolutely NEED to, because you're limited to 802.11g bandwidth, SD card write speeds, and SD card life time (which usenet would kill).

Wait... you mean actually using newsgroups for like, talking? How asinine ;)

Gary13579 said:
Haha, I read this as RSS reader and typed up a post on that.... ANYWAY.

I use sabnzbd+ on Linux, which is literally just a python program. There's no porting needed to get it running on Pandora, not even a recompile. However, I really suggest only using it when you absolutely NEED to, because you're limited to 802.11g bandwidth, SD card write speeds, and SD card life time (which usenet would kill).

Wait... you mean actually using newsgroups for like, talking? How asinine ;)
Yeah, I thought for a moment and I realized I don't know any newsgroup programs that are actually used for talking, just for binning... maybe you can use Thunderbird?

Also, sabnzbd was an unstable annoying crapfest I kept having to restart last time I used it. What is sabnzbd+? Is it better now (i.e. usable?) Because I like Python and I like having a web interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
sabnzbd is years old IIRC, the original author abandoned it and the community replaced it with sabnzbd+. Don't quote me on that though. It's very stable from what I've used. I'm also kinda shocked that python can keep up with downloading at 5MB/s.

And the only newsgroup reader I've ever used for actually READING would be Pan. No idea what else is out there.

Gary13579 said:
I'm also kinda shocked that python can keep up with downloading at 5MB/s.
I would suspect that most of the heavy lifting is done by a C network library, and Python only says, "Hey C library, download this file for me!".

lulzfish said:
Gary13579 said:
I'm also kinda shocked that python can keep up with downloading at 5MB/s.
I would suspect that most of the heavy lifting is done by a C network library, and Python only says, "Hey C library, download this file for me!".
That's the most likely case, Twisted is commonly used for such stuff and is good and fast (supposedly, never used it.)

Gary13579 said:
sabnzbd is years old IIRC, the original author abandoned it and the community replaced it with sabnzbd+. Don't quote me on that though. It's very stable from what I've used. I'm also kinda shocked that python can keep up with downloading at 5MB/s.

And the only newsgroup reader I've ever used for actually READING would be Pan. No idea what else is out there.

This is what my limited research told me when doing some work on my NAS box. I use sabnzbd+ on a QNAP 209 pro II and it handles 5MB/s quite well even on the limited memory and processing power of the 209.

if I figure I need it I'll be recompiling my old copy of Knews (nothing to do with KDE). It ran nicely on my old 486 with 16MB RAM and handled large newsgroups better than most other readers I tried.

Wow, someone who wants to use USENET the way it was meant to be used! :)

I've used Pan on Linux desktops. It's a perfectly nice, graphical USENET reader.
I'm not 100% sure I'd like it so much on a small screen, though. It's a bit ... crowded.

This may sound crazy, but maybe the simpler visuals of a command line reader like slrn would be better.

rabidpoobear said:
rabidpoobear said:
maybe you can use Thunderbird?
Pleng said:
Doesn't Thunderbird support newsgroups?
Way to add nothing to the discussion, Pleng :p NEENER NEENER :p

Opps looks like I missed that one.

Thanks for taking the time to point it out. Better hope it never happens to you now! :p

Back