I have made this silly little thing over the break...

el_pango

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xtgkiT_uhj0?feature=oembed

(Astute readers may remember development on this was halted indefinitely after some rotter broke into my car and stole the flash drive with the source backups on it. It's back.)

if you're wondering what happened to the multiplayer shining soul II clone, it's still very much important to me, I just haven't made a commit in a while. On a related note, if anyone has an idea how to properly know when to turn on and off a lens flare without occlusion queries and without tracing a ray through the world geometry, please tell me :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
man! i remember playing a earlier demo of this with just colored arrows. This looks so beautiful!

I love the music score , it works wonderfully with the game theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I remember this, too! Awesome make over it got. I really like the caustic water effects. Does it apply to the player sprite, too?

You have a good combination of artwork, music and gameplay there. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

A wee bit of feedback on the sound effects, since that's my area:

• The jump sound feels a little out of place. With the nicely rendered artwork and the lovely orchestral soundtrack the jump is a little bit too 8-bit Mario for my tastes.
  • The footsteps suffer from the opposite problem they seem a) too loud and B) too real. They're also very "wooden" which is a bit odd feeling for the grass and soil environment. You could probably do a fair amount just by sticking a fairly strong low-pass filter on them.

Other than that, looks and sounds great! I'll chip in with the positive comments on the soundtrack, reminds me of Castlevania. Is it a tracker file or MIDI? Or it could be just a retro-style WAV/mp3 I guess.

Back