New Video Soon

MWeston said:
craigix said:
I'm not doing them so I don't know when to expect them, but tonight I think. It will be a new topic so just look out for that.
Whoa, hold on now!

Didn't you get the email from Fatih saying the plastics company goofed and sent the prototypes to him instead of me? I'm pretty pissed about it.

If I am lucky, I might get them here on Christmas eve, and I can expect to be extra overjoyed when they don't make that and I have to wait until Dec. 29 for delivery. :angry:

Yea, I think Craig was careful with his wording, he only mentioned the keypad and dev unit. So I guess its time to wait another week.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the matchbox stuff is new to me, really- I've had it on my iPAQ PDAs for a few years now. What will be new is hopefully a maintained package repository. I will agree, even looking past the ugliness (I had quite a few matchbox themes myself, some were really nice) that another WM would have been nicer to be packaged by default.

But ultimately, nobody is forced into anything, as you can install anything you want on the device anyway.

On another note, you can make all applications fullscreen in any Window manager with packages like Maximus.

Kimundi said:
...Or you could just switch into the previously mentioned Advanced Mode where you can have seperate Windows :huh:

If you wanted to do things the easy way, you should have preordered an iPhone. :D

You're right, of course. I just wanted to point out that no matter what window manager you prefer, someone in this community will undoubtedly find a way to make it happen within a couple months of the first units shipping. After all, there's already work underway on getting Gentoo up and running on Pandora.

Gruso said:
I'm off to bed now. Look forward to waking up. :D
Hellollo world! B) And a fine morning it is.

Another cool vid, thanks ED. Seeing you create this thread was a nice reveal. "Posting from Pandora" in chat was a nice touch too. (There's a silly running joke on another forum I frequent - "posting from iPhone", "posting from Apple IIe", "posting from a mango" etc, so "posting from pandora" made me laugh.)

MWeston said:
craigix said:
I'm not doing them so I don't know when to expect them, but tonight I think. It will be a new topic so just look out for that.
Whoa, hold on now!

Didn't you get the email from Fatih saying the plastics company goofed and sent the prototypes to him instead of me? I'm pretty pissed about it.

If I am lucky, I might get them here on Christmas eve, and I can expect to be extra overjoyed when they don't make that and I have to wait until Dec. 29 for delivery. :angry:

would you mind giving us a quick update on what is missing for a finished prototype? since you said a while ago that you put an almost finished prototype on a scale (thanks for that by the way!) i had assumed tha devboard+batery+screen are fit into the case already?

anyway, thanks for the info!

We're bundling matchbox (fullscreen tiling window manager) and you can easily switch tasks in; should also be gmenu if you want a really stripped down gamer interface to running a single app at a time, with no task switching per se.

jeff

Cool, so Gmenu isn't dead. :) I was afraid that the gmenu development for the pandora lead into a dead end. Well, if Gmenu don't bring any perfomance benefits I think such a "bigger" menu-System like matchbox is a good choice for a standard surface. (Even if I never heard of "matchbox" until 2 days ago...except from little toy-cars of course. :D )

Wow, when I first came here( a few weeks ago) I had some doubts about it, but seeing all these recent news and videos and pics definately makes me a believer and quite enthusiastic!

MWeston said:
Maybe Pandora wasn't right name for this project/product. Maybe you should've called it the Breeze or the Cakewalk or maybe the Super Easy to Build Handheld Computer. You guys seem to have a bad case of Murphy's Law.

MWeston said:
Wow. You guys won't have any sanity left to enjoy the assumed success. :lol:

javaJake said:
MWeston said:
Wow. You guys won't have any sanity left to enjoy the assumed success. :lol:

Just proves how hard they are working :rolleyes: to get us the device of our dreams

MWeston said:
:( i know it's not much of a difference, but would have been nice to actually see the case with buttons.

ah well, happy holidays then ;)

kin said:
lil bit offtopic but www.openpandora.org is now unreachable?
I can't get there either.

And at this point, I'd expect nothing less than the keypad being sent to the wrong place. ;) Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent it to me here in Michigan instead. And actually, that would have been good as Canada is next door. :rolleyes:

If the keypad maker has extras, and they are in Asia, as I would guess, then it might be faster to have duplicates sent directly to Canada than reshipping from Turkey.
Hell, make them do it anyway, just to be safe...
They are the ones who screwed up, after all.

Back