Release New Video: Ed Assembles A Prototype

I guess I need to add some things:

1. THERE ARE SCREWS. I just didn't put them in. If you go look into the video (about 00:45 - 01:00), I do show you the battery compartment. And there you can see five holes for the screws.

2. With the final board, the case WON'T have any space between the upper and lower part. The MK2 case does have a component sitting on one area where there's a peg in the case - and that's why I can't close it completely. That component has been moved on the MK3 board.

3. I didn't break the cable while putting it in - I broke it while trying to put it out for the first time :) And don't worry: Once it's inserted correctly, it won't break ;)

Last edited:
What's the deal with the tabs at the top of the upper half (above the screen) not lining up/creating a gap?

Also:

CODE
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/?action=view&current=DSC01107.jpg

This photo apparently was taken/uploaded yesterday to MWeston's photobucket account. Proof that he's got a CNC case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great vid! Can't wait for mine to drop safely through my door!

Just a couple of things ...

Is the screen hinge only held at one end?
Hope the plastic is stronger than it looks :|

Does Ed's boards still work after assembly without a static strap and lots of thumb pushing ;)
Although if it does this speaks volumes for Panda's robust-osity :lol:

'Vorporeal' said:
CODE
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/?action=view&current=DSC01107.jpg
I am torn between wanting him to make a video and wanting him to just get the CE and FCC testing done.

He's got two cases. Doesn't that mean both can happen at the same time? :blink: :eek: :) :D

True, but seeing as all of those are in the bottom part, he could assemble the entire thing, then once the other parts arrive, he could take apart the bottom half and add those in and then close it back up. No need to worry about doing the ribbon cable/screen stuff twice.

And he calls the pic: 'All My Children...' which proves they are his cases. Nice find :D I just added this photobucket page to my favorites. Now I want to find Craigs and Evildragons photobucket/whateverimagewebsite pages.

When the pandora will be fully assembled, it'd be cool to have a video of stress tests.

I'm thinking using the panda in a freezer and see how it acts, then there's the sauna, both humid and dry, and la pièce de résistance some football (a.k.a. soccer).

Of course some stats on how many times we can open close the lid before the thing falls apart, and longevity of buttons, etc.

'MWeston' said:
Sphinxter said:
Would not be much of a handheld if you have to use oven mitts. A rubber booty like you see on ithings would be impossible to close. The stylus holster sure is trick. Any place for a lanyard?
CODE
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/DSC01110.jpg
Hey, this is interesting. :) I thought the Pandora wouldn't have such a hole for a wrist-strap but now the Device is nearly perfect. Good work. If the Stylus also gets a hole for putting a strap on, we can absolutelay be sure not to loose Handheld or Stylus during usage :) I bet people out there without a Pandora try everything to grab the Device right out of our hands if they realize what we have. :D

'MWeston' said:
No, just a very thick section of plastic in that area. The case is 2mm thick with a 4mm thick area built into the case inside that hole. The hole is also at the base of the case providing very little leverage for angular bending under stress. The CNC prototype is very strong and a molded part should be even stronger.
Are the "2mm" the overall normal thickness of the case? And is this much for such a Device? I don't know the average thickness of plastic Cases these days so I hope it will be at least as stable as ....uh...a rigid, solid handheld should be. \^_\^ (I have not much experience with this, but AFAIK the Case of the old classic gameboy was like a rock )

A question: will the hinge have a spring to force the closing or the opening?

There are 2 main reasons for this:
1. It can be boring when the screen rotates continuously (also with minimals moviments, I don't mean it will rotate 180° everytime).
2. It can seems much more unprofessional, like some Chinese devices....

'Vorporeal' said:
IIRC, the hinge used is the same one used in the DS.
I'm pretty sure it's not. I remember it was close, but couldn't be exactly the same due to a patent or something ridiculous!

Well, the DS' hinge is designed for the DS. It's silver and shaped like the hinge for a DS.
The Pandora's hinge is similar, but black and shaped like the kind of hinge that would work well for a Pandora.

They're basically like laptop hinges, but there might be a locking position like on the DS.

As far as I know, they are like the DS Hinges, except they lock at 170 degree (unlike the ds hinge, which locks at 180 degree)

Many of the devices I've manhandled in the past, which have a coiled or twisted solution to connecting the LCD cable to the PCB, have the LCD cable sandwiched between strips of carbon/teflon or similar, to prevent undue stress if the cable plastic 'sticks', and to limit friction damage. Wouldn't hurt here?

Back