New Ti-Openmax 0.4.1

mukiex

Still Fresh
I'm not sure if this is old news, but on the 31st of August Texas Instruments released version 0.4.1 of ti-openmax (link). This adds H.264 support.

Has anyone with a dev board or test box tried this build yet?

Confused about this... Is this just ARM optimized h264 playback or is it h264 decoding with the DSP?
My primary goal for the pandora has become to use it as a portable media player, so I want to figure out exactly what I can expect to be able to play on it hassle free.

I'm assuming h264 video AAC audio at the native 480p resolution of the device will be fine, but what about 720p? What about styled subtitles?

Okay, so in THEORY, as someone who doesn't own a device (obviously, or I'd be reporting, not asking ;), this is how it's supposed to work.

GStreamer is essentially supposed to be the "lego" of video/audio playback frameworks. Every single piece is a plug, from the video to the audio to the subs. TI-Openmax plugs into this framework. Essentially, it's supposed to offer a seamless experience for acceleration as follows:

Let's say you have an MP4 with H.264 (baseline) 720p video and, oh, say, DTS audio. You start up Totem (Gstreamer video player) and the video automatically gets accelerated by the chip. The audio, on the other hand, as it's not compatible with the DSP, falls back to the ARM processor. Same situation if it's AAC audio and Sorenson (ugh) video in an MKV container. Gstreamer software handles MKV demuxing and Sorenson (ugh again) playback while the DSP handles the audio. Or MKV with H.264 video, or Xvid video, or pretty much anything gstreamer can handle one way or another.

However, that's the theory, as found in the Wikipedia article on Gstreamer. YMMV, and that's precisely why I put this question out to devs ;) For instance, I'm not sure if Gstreamer can handle acceleratable video with subtitles, and if it falls back to software video playback OR just doesn't render the subtitles. So once again, devs, any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated ;)

Muki Key Oot said:
However, that's the theory, as found in the Wikipedia article on Gstreamer. YMMV, and that's precisely why I put this question out to devs ;) For instance, I'm not sure if Gstreamer can handle acceleratable video with subtitles, and if it falls back to software video playback OR just doesn't render the subtitles. So once again, devs, any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated ;)

Even if subtitles are part of the transport stream, they're still just rendered as overlays for the video, right? I thought the subs were rendered by the media player not the codec. Is this wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this myself and it appears that as it's under LGPL v2 we can use it. It looks to be linking in with Gstreamer or at least can to hardware accelerate various codecs.

Dead1nside said:
I just found this myself and it appears that as it's under LGPL v2 we can use it. It looks to be linking in with Gstreamer or at least can to hardware accelerate various codecs.
Can you answer some of the questions that were asked in this thread then?
[edited to be less jackassy]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well sorry for grave digging a one month old thread.

I was enthusiastic that it's both available for us to use, it looks like it's being actively developed with the last change in late August. There was something I read about the Zoom or Zoom2 platform as well which made me think that there is going to be more access to hardware acceleration libraries for us.

It's generally all good news.

Back