New Taiwanese LCD GP2 with White Bars

EvilDragon posted on Dec 13 2004 at 10:45 AM said:
Pulstar posted on Dec 13 2004 at 12:44 PM said:
So do the new Taiwanese screens look as good as the older Samsung screens? Could you tell the difference besides the line problems?

Not yet - I ordered a new BLU but it isn't shipped yet.
Can tell you in a few weeks, I guess.

I'll hold you to that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was none of this 'white bar' problem posted in the news? I think it is a rather significant piece of information, somewhat more important than an update about another version of a game or program?

Just suggesting.

DrJones posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:54 PM said:
Why was none of this 'white bar' problem posted in the news? I think it is a rather significant piece of information, somewhat more important than an update about another version of a game or program?

True. I could have saved myself the $300 and skipped the purchase entirely if I knew the BLU was defective by design. It's not like I bought the thing for first party games! Now I'm out the dough with little hope that Lik Sang or Gamepark will do anything to resolve the problem. At most, I'll be able to get my money back from LS, but I seriously doubt Gamepark will do squat about the white line problem or the scanline problem (which seems to exist even in the bundled game! Great QA, guys!!)

Thought I might post this here too:

It seems that ALL games have at least the 'top line of the LCD appears at the bottom' bug (maybe call it the 'offset line' bug?). In some games it is not noticeable (e.g. xrick gold) because the top and bottom of the screen are black. In others it is hard to tell because of the imagery (it may not contrast enough from top to bottom), but as far as I can tell, all games that don't have the obvious 'gray bars' have the offset line bug - even the packaged Dungeon and Guarder game.

I've emailed Lik-Sang (again) because my emails to Gamepark just bounce, and I'll let you know the outcome.

Here what Lik Sang answerd me :

Hi Jean-Marie,

We are very sorry for this and are aware of the issue.
We regret to inform you that the unit you have is not faulty.

Unfortunately, this new "behavior" looked like a fault when first
discovered, even to us here at Lik Sang. Gamepark have made an official
statement in the meantime and published the new settings for programmers to
amend their software, so there is probably not a lot that can be done to
'undo' this hardware change.

This is a official confirmation from Game Park
=================================================
We changed LCD from Samsung to Taiwanese brand very recently, which means
that some skilled amateur developers (some users of the GP32 BLU) need
to get revised setting value of the firmware to comply with the LCD
of Taiwanese brand if Game Park makes the setting value open to them,
which is our idea to resolve this issue.

Simply speaking, Game Park original software and games have nothing to do
with this issue as you may understand.
==================================================

We do absolutely understand the impact of this recent change to the GP32
hardware and regret being unable to change Gamepark's mind. There is not a
lot that can be done as all GP32 systems manufactured in the future will be
equipped with the new LCD display type.

We at Lik Sang does of course also understand that this is a hard blow to
the GP32 community and that it happened in the middle of the Christmas
rush doesn't make it any better.

We hope it can be solved in a timely manner.

More info about this issue and what is going on can be found at
http://www.gp32x.de/board/ and we know that the GP32 community is
working hard to find a solution.

But we wish to show our gratitude to our customers
(after all, you are what makes us exist), so if you still feel that
the GP32 you bought is not to your pleasure, we will except a return
of your GP32 BLU to us.

So as a affected customer of this problem, you will have two options to
solve this.

==============================================
(1) Keep the unit as it is and monitor the community forums closely.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/ I am positive that this will be solved.

(2) Ship the GP32 with all items back to us, with our DHL account and
get a refund. (Confirm this email and you will receive an RMA number
and instructions how to proceed)

Once again we are truly sorry that this happened in the middle of the
Christmas rush We know it have taken some time to process all this,
and that some of you may already have received several replies regarding
this issue.

This is the final statement on how the GP32 problem is going to be handled.
So please confirm with a (1) or (2) option to this email and you will be
processed ASAP.

Best regards,

Jim Lou
------------------------
Lik-Sang.com - Alternative Gaming Community
Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited

Wow, very nice response from Lik-Sang. I give them props for handling this situation so nicely.
So does anyone think a solution will be found like an altered bios or something? I was going to order a BLU soon, now I'm very hesitant.

Sorry to say this, but its ridiculous.
Gamepark is selling incompatible units, lying (all commercial games work fine) and telling the coders (community) its their fault. Seems like they give a *** of current (and future) GP users. I even bet they dont want to earn much more money with the current GP32. Ofcourse there will be ppl flaming me for that just because they either sell GP32 Systems themself or are did much for the community. BUT ... how could you be just that blind ? What would happen to Nintendo if they sold GBA-SPs only working with 90% of its games ? They would have taken all units back and replace them as fast as they can, iam sure. Looks like Gamepark just keeps on doing the wrong way...

There was a blu for sale on ebay so I emailed the seller asking him if it had the new screen with the lines and pasted in the gamepark thread info regarding firmware etc and he replied with..

"Sorry mate... we run a £2 million a year turn over company and sell these on line... have no time for that question, but WOW.... what a question it was!!! :)"

so I wont be buying one of them then!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I was just wondering about the top/bottom line problem. Do you still get the problem with things that have been compiled "properly" (as per Gamepark's wishes) and with the SDK (Mirko)?

I just want to know before I get my BLU, because I don't know if I can deal with a problem like that if it happens with everything all the time with no possibility to fix it.

For example, can someone with a BLU+ tell me if DrMD has the top/bottom line problem when the option is set to display properly?

ThanX in advance, BYEEEEE!!

We have dubbed these new BLU's "BLU+"s, and that's what I'll call them for the rest of this post.

Stuff made for the "BLU+"s has the same type of incompatibilty with the other GP32s. So programs have to have 2 different versions, or 2 different modes.

There is a new version of Mirko's SDK which has "BLU+" compatibility.

Dr. MD is the first program with a mode for perfect compatibility for "BLU+" users (there aren't many yet with this feature). Most other programs do work, but have the
line problem or worse problems.
DrMd will look weird at first but, just set LCD to Taiwanese in the menu, and save the settings. Then, it supposedly has no problems.

The devvers are working on patching their code up for the "BLU+".
There really isn't much you can do.

Here's how you can help:

Talk to devvers
Donate to devvers
beta test for devvers (most don't have "BLU+"s to test on.)
Learn how to program, and fix programs that are open-source.
Learn how to program, and convince devvers to let you fix their apps
Work on a supposed "universal fix" like some people are. I don't think this will work though.
support Gamepark by devving, like it says in my sig :)

I really wish getting mad at Gamepark could help, but they said they won't fix it, not matter what. Oh, well...You can always try. ;)

One of the reasons I wanted a GP32 was for devving, but if the line problem was too deep in the hardware, I wouldn't be suprised if it was permanent, but DrMD having solved this, gives me hope.

are these blu+ the ones they are selling at gbax.com because i was going to buy one but if it has this problem with all these programs there doesnt seem to be much point

Castaway and Frodo have now also been fixed for BLU+...

That doesn't leave much else left at least that I've heard mentioned.

STILL waiting on a new Doom V10 that is BLU+ compatible :(

Here's the important stuff that's still not compatible:

gpCinema v2 - FAILED! - White bar =(
OpenSNES9xGP - FAILED! - white bar - I'm working on fixing this but so far OS9XGP doesn't even compile. =(

The important stuff that is now or always was compatible:
Nester - Runs fine (but slow)
fGEN - Perfect
DrMD - Mostly OK - GBAX title screen still has a white bar
Frodo - Perfect
GPAdvance - Fine (but not very useful)

I'm just wondering, rather than continue bitching about the new BLU's, why not take an active roll in helping wherever you can in updating the software to keep up? As far as i can tell, apart from the compatibility issues, the new BLU's are better and I ver much doubt that Gamepark will be going back on this. I don't wanna sound like a prick, but I just don't see this as constructive.

Also, just a quick question, I will only be using my GP32 for NES, homebrewed games and possibly SNES. Are the emulators and such for these programs all working with the new BLU's?

Gamepark are auctioning off their BLU+'s on their Korean website
at the starting price of 1 won. - According to Babelfish

Blah posted on Feb 5 2005 at 04:56 AM said:
Gamepark are auctioning off their BLU+'s on their Korean website
at the starting price of 1 won. - According to Babelfish

Link please. :p

Trooper

www.gp32.com > click Korean > click Auction > learn Korean > register

That wasn't the point. The point is they're getting rid of BLU+'s which must mean something. Maybe they're gonna make normal BLU's. But I though you could infer that. Apparently I was wrong :p

Back