New Renderings: Hires And Pandora-res With Size Comparison

EvilDragon said:
Sure, rendering just takes some time :)

The renders keep getting better and better :)

But I still have my complaints ;D :
- White shoulder buttons? Should be black to match.
- The shoulder buttons should form the entire corners of the unit. It would prevent having to keep your index fingers right up next to the top half.
- It'd be great if the unit didn't have a gap between the halves when closed. This was a flaw of the original DS and I'd always end up with pocket lint inside of it.

EDIT: another gripe ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
To anyone complaing/wondering about the ergonomics, how easy it is to play using the controls etc DONT!

I have played around with an actual size 3D printer mockup and it is great to use. The controls are very comfortable. It even works well rotated 90 degrees to play vertical games which I was concerned about, as long as the buttons can be mapped to the leftmost keys.

I know it may not look like it would be comfortable, but it is, don't worry. You know how picky I am, If I say it plays well you can rest assured :p

Iorgy77 said:
Just looking at it now are there plans for a lock keyboard switch? A flick of the switch and the keyboard could be switched off.
Why? That can easily be simulated in software on the apps that need it, and the other apps in which you do not use the keyboard will probably have it turned off per default.

Excellent renderings Ed, and thanks for the rear view (giggles).

I'm gonna be rebuilding my Ubuntu server this weekend so I should have lots of time to update my own 3D models, expect something jazzy soon :).

awesome! the comparisons to the gp2x and nds were a problem for me, since i havnt played or owned either system, but the floppy disk is perfect!
but, why is the disk upside-down? :)

i thought at first the pandora looked pretty clunky, but it is looking better and better in my eyes...

I really like the design. Everything looks the same these days. I think it really adds to the fact that its actually a retro gaming machine and not a clone of the latest Sony device. Still crossing figures for the red as well, and hoping to buy once the boycott ends. =]

Shiny said:
- White shoulder buttons? Should be black to match.
- The shoulder buttons should form the entire corners of the unit. It would prevent having to keep your index fingers right up next to the top half.
- It'd be great if the unit didn't have a gap between the halves when closed. This was a flaw of the original DS and I'd always end up with pocket lint inside of it.
I had black ones at first - but it looked ugly, so I used brushed aluminium (which is a bit too white here because of the light ;))

We are still looking for a hinge, so we can't tell for sure if the halves will be completely closed.

Gaeryc said:
ED, where in the hell is my tv-out? :)
AFAIK MichaelW hasn't decided on where it will be on the board (at least I don't have it on my latest CAD drawing from him), that's why it's still missing :)

We're still WIP :D

Still crossing figures for the red as well, and hoping to buy once the boycott ends. =]

If it sells well enough, sure, there's the chance of different special versions.
Time will tell :)

Last edited:
When I first saw the rear rendering I hoped that the tv-out would have been moved to the back, but I guess it will be in the front next to the phones port like it is cheapest and easiest to do (not blaming you guys, sony did it too with psp slim)

DaveC said:
It even works well rotated 90 degrees to play vertical games which I was concerned about, as long as the buttons can be mapped to the leftmost keys.
I've never even thought of this. This would be perfect for RTS games. I can picture rotating the view with the analog nubs, and touching the screen with the stylus at the same time.

that would be great.

I'm so excited for this system.

Looks good :) the hires render go some way to alay my fears that it looked cheap/tacky.
In fact I think it reminds me of a zx81 ;) (That's actually a compliment btw) .. Well they're both black.
677px-Sinclair_ZX81.jpg

DaveC said:
To anyone complaing/wondering about the ergonomics, how easy it is to play using the controls etc DONT!

I have played around with an actual size 3D printer mockup and it is great to use. The controls are very comfortable. It even works well rotated 90 degrees to play vertical games which I was concerned about, as long as the buttons can be mapped to the leftmost keys.
Who the hell are you, and what did you do to DaveC?!? :blink: :blink:

:lol:

If you're pleased, I think we have nothing to fear, except perhaps far too boring conversations on the future PandoraBoard :)

677px-Sinclair_ZX81.jpg

Believe it or not, one of these was what started me out programming. One of the boys at school had one and showed it to me, I saw the potential of the home computer immediately!

I am soo glad I was there at the beginning of the home computer revolution, it is amazing to see where it all went, I am especially glad for experiencing it all first hand.

The Pandora will be yet another amazing contribution to my technology experience :)

Addition:
The ZX80 and 81 was an amazing milestone in computing history, but here is something for you to consider:

When I started my job as technician in our University, we had boxes and boxes of cards with holes punched in them, these are called punch cards, and was how they used to store data for various things. It was the legacy of what I had just missed, and talking to some of the old techs there one told me how an old computer science student would test a program they had written, the procedure was as follows:
1. Student would submit program to Punch Room
2. Program is transferred to Punch card.
3. Punch Card is sent to a University where they actually had a computer to run the program.
4. Uni would run the program and output the result (Including syntax errors).
5. Results are sent back.
6. Student picks up results and if there are syntax errors, cries as they have to do it all again .

To send a punch card and receive results, could take up to a week.

My my haven't we progressed!

I really don't understand these people who are so annoyed that the pandora is very likely the dream handheld that does most everything that many of us have waited a LONG time for that they have to come post long rants on this board

"Get rid of the keyboard... don't try to to do everything it... its impossible... can't please everyone" etc etc

These people obviously like restrictions so I would suggest to you guys that you buy something much more restrictive like an iphone or xbox360. If its a locked-down computer you want then maybe buy an Apple but don't come moaning here about an all purpose device as 99% of us are avid supporters of freedom.

DaveC is happy with the design? Well in that case I feel obliged to help fill the critical void left in his place..

WHERE ARE OUR PROMISED LINUX KEYS EH???? ie CTRL, ALT and dedicated ESC and TAB keys???? Me many others put some serious time into bemoaning this aspect of the original mockups and me and the whole /. , FOSS world will be MIGHTILY disappointed if we have to plug in a USB keyboard to get a usable Linux computing experience. These will make or break the keyboards usefulness as a Linux computing device. We can't easily kill X11, switch desktops and consoles or use the console properly without. A dedicated key for / would also be very nice but I get the nasty feeling that we aren't going to see any of these keys added now.

The ports are laid out much better now but please make sure the video out gets added to the back side of the device alongside the USB ports where it belongs. The front is already plenty crowded and the cable won't be in the users way and you'll have more slack if its coming out the back.

danboid said:
WHERE ARE OUR PROMISED LINUX KEYS EH???? ie CTRL, ALT and dedicated ESC and TAB keys???? Me many
CTRL & ALT will be available on the shoulder buttons.

ESC + TAB will be available by pressing two keys at once.

Done :)

Back