New Price For Ps3?

CUPC4KES

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH.....
Website
Visit site
Hi all, kind of old news now, but just thought id start a thread about the new ps3 model avalible:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825517p1.html

The 60gb ps3 is now being phased out in favour of the new 40gb version, and will retail at £299, seems more reasonable than the original price point but sony have removed all backwards compatibility, card reader and 2 of the 4 usb ports, the stock of 60gb models that remains is being sold at 349.99 with 2 games, so obviously the better option for the time being. still doesn't make me want one though.

WTF they stripped backwards compatibility.
So now they have only 5 games that are not shitty as opposed to 500.

Does this mean the new model doesn´t even have the power to emulate the PS2?

All that crap for fifty quid less? Bad move, SONY...

Fishbong said:
WTF they stripped backwards compatibility.
So now they have only 5 games that are not shitty as opposed to 500.

Does this mean the new model doesn´t even have the power to emulate the PS2?

All that crap for fifty quid less? Bad move, SONY...
amen to that

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you Europeans are getting totally assraped by Sony. In the US we have the new 80gb model that's bundled with Motorstorm for the same price as the 60gb launch model. Seriously, wtf is going on with you guys? Sony must have some sort of personal vendetta against you all :p

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Wow, you Europeans are getting totally assraped by Sony. In the US we have the new 80gb model that's bundled with Motorstorm for the same price as the 60gb launch model. Seriously, wtf is going on with you guys? Sony must have some sort of personal vendetta against you all :p
I'm pretty sure it's worse than that, actually. The 80GB model is $600 and their new 40GB (minus backwards compatibility) is around the same price when converted from pounds to dollars. :blink:

OMars said:
I'm pretty sure it's worse than that, actually. The 80GB model is $600 and their new 40GB (minus backwards compatibility) is around the same price when converted from pounds to dollars. :blink:

Well this is really fucked up but also quite hilarious! (sorry :lol: )

If you want a ps3, you best IMPORT IT!

OMars said:

I'm pretty sure that they're going to pull backward compatibility from all future systems - the 80GB systems won't have it for much longer either, I believe...

Anyway, I don't care if you're in Europe, North America or Asia, Sony's pricing is still completely stupid. Lowering your price from completely fucking insane to moderately fucking insane is not a big deal in my book, and I agree that pulling features is not in their best interests... Frankly, it smells like they're getting desperate - they must need to reduce losses something fierce to do this; they're crazy if they think they can spin it as a good thing... Haven't they learned anything since the launch?!?

jimid2 said:
OMars said:

I'm pretty sure that they're going to pull backward compatibility from all future systems - the 80GB systems won't have it for much longer either, I believe...

Anyway, I don't care if you're in Europe, North America or Asia, Sony's pricing is still completely stupid. Lowering your price from completely fucking insane to moderately fucking insane is not a big deal in my book, and I agree that pulling features is not in their best interests... Frankly, it smells like they're getting desperate - they must need to reduce losses something fierce to do this; they're crazy if they think they can spin it as a good thing... Haven't they learned anything since the launch?!?

It's doubly hilarious to hear them spin the loss of backwards compatibility as "no big deal" after dumping on Microsoft's piss poor BC for so long. Foot, meet mouth.

£299 or £349 is actually quite cheap compaired to the Xbox360 when you add on all the extras for the 360 to make it like the PS3.

PS3 = £299 (or £349)
Xbox360 = £445 (£250 for premium + £55 for WiFi adapter + £100 for HighDef Drive + £40 for Live) and it still has smaller harddrive ;)

Steve-O said:
£299 or £349 is actually quite cheap compaired to the Xbox360 when you add on all the extras for the 360 to make it like the PS3.

PS3 = £299 (or £349)
Xbox360 = £445 (£250 for premium + £55 for WiFi adapter + £100 for HighDef Drive + £40 for Live) and it still has smaller harddrive ;)
That's a very valid argument that I myself have mentioned on various occasions. The counter argument is that the 360 has better games/better online service. Either that, or there are also fanboys who just call you an idiot and flame you.

I've never been called an idiot on Xbox Live yet people say it happens all the time. Must be playing the wrong games for it to occur then, eh? I've only actually played COD4 Beta on Live. Haven't tried anything else to be honest.

Anyway, back to this. I think the introduction of a 40Gb Model and the discontinuation of the 60Gb model is a mistake. Yes, the price is a little high but the 60Gb model is indeed to better one to go for. Now it does seem as if Sony are getting desparate for money with the 40Gb model.

And for those wondering, the 40Gb model has had the PS2 graphics chip removed. So that coupled with the fact it doesn't have the emotion chip or whatever from the ps2 as well, its unlikely that there will be any form of backwards compatibility for PS2 games as Sony said it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to develop new firmware for the 40Gb model to allow it to work.

Steve-O said:

PS3 = £299 (or £349)
That's a very valid argument that I myself have mentioned on various occasions. The counter argument is that the 360 has better games/better online service. Either that, or there are also fanboys who just call you an idiot and flame you.

Personally I have a Xbox360 and love it but I just hate how people say the PS3 is a waste of money / to expensive when infact its cheaper than the 360 when you work it out. Plus the 360 failure rate is stupidly high!

Overall I think the 360 has better games for now but give it another 6months - 1 year and I think the PS3 will take over :). The biggest mistake I think Microsoft has made is just using a DVD drive in the 360. The 360 should have had a built in HD Drive as in the future games are going to need more space. The good thing with the PS3 is the Blu Ray drive is 100% future proof for games as the new 100GB quad layer Blu Ray discs work on it :) (no game will ever need 100gb of space ;) ). Plus Microsoft rip you off big style, £55 for a Wireless adapter, £2.50 for a dashboard theme, £1.50 for a video on where to locate "Cogs" on gears of war etc..

Yeah, those MS points are idiotic. I wont be caught dead buying points from them for bullshit!

Oh, and I never said people call you an idiot on live. I'm referring to the internet mostly. Any forum you go to will have a couple of people who think "you're an idiot, 360 is better" is a good argument.

And also, I have to agree that charging ~100 USD for some internet dongle is absolutely assinine. Shame on them.

Steve-O said:
Steve-O said:

PS3 = £299 (or £349)

Personally I have a Xbox360 and love it but I just hate how people say the PS3 is a waste of money / to expensive when infact its cheaper than the 360 when you work it out. Plus the 360 failure rate is stupidly high!

Overall I think the 360 has better games for now but give it another 6months - 1 year and I think the PS3 will take over :). The biggest mistake I think Microsoft has made is just using a DVD drive in the 360. The 360 should have had a built in HD Drive as in the future games are going to need more space. The good thing with the PS3 is the Blu Ray drive is 100% future proof for games as the new 100GB quad layer Blu Ray discs work on it :) (no game will ever need 100gb of space ;) ). Plus Microsoft rip you off big style, £55 for a Wireless adapter, £2.50 for a dashboard theme, £1.50 for a video on where to locate "Cogs" on gears of war etc..

I don't need any of that extra crap so the 360 is cheaper. And the PS3 isn't going to "take over" any time soon. Games come when people buy the machine, and people buy consoles when there are games for them. Sony is having the same problem Nintendo and Sega did during the 32/64-bit days. It's really uncanny how many of the same mistakes they've made. Sony will "take over" when they learn from those mistakes.

Yeah, those MS points are idiotic. I wont be caught dead buying points from them for bullshit!

Oh, and I never said people call you an idiot on live. I'm referring to the internet mostly. Any forum you go to will have a couple of people who think "you're an idiot, 360 is better" is a good argument.
And also, I have to agree that charging ~100 USD for some internet dongle is absolutely assinine. Shame on them.

That's why you grab yourself one of these.

It's a third of the price and I still haven't lost a connection. It isn't a router, but rather a wireless ethernet connection that doesn't use wifi. It is plug and play, as well. It is the best internet solution out there for the xbox360. It's quite amazing. :) I used that along with "Tversity" software for my computer so I can stream audio now. It works like a friggin' charm.

Back