New LCD Cables (Japan coating) question

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
ED, since I assume you have now received the new LCD cables which use a coating material from Japan, what are your observations so far ? Is there any indication that they should be better than the previous ones ? Any stress test conducted prior to the switch ?

Maybe you have no answer at this stage, but I was just wondering how this new version of LCD cables was "validated" before use.

They are as flexible as the ones that never failed.

The last ones were a bit stiffer.

To me the overall ribbon itself seems thinner than the previous LCD cables. For instance, I find it much more difficult to seat the newer cable on the PCB. Its just different from the hundreds of old cables I'm used to and even that part that gets clipped in doesn't seem as thick.

To me the overall ribbon itself seems thinner than the previous LCD cables. For instance, I find it much more difficult to seat the newer cable on the PCB. Its just different from the hundreds of old cables I'm used to and even that part that gets clipped in doesn't seem as thick.

Do you mean you think it would be more fragile in the end ?

More fragile in terms of handling: yes. It tears easily when not being handled carefully while assembling the unit.

In terms of usage: No. The thinner the better.

Imagine you have two sheets of metal: A thin one and a thicker one.

You bend them to the same degree. Which one is going to break first?

More fragile in terms of handling: yes. It tears easily when not being handled carefully while assembling the unit.
Yeah i can confirm that.

I have one of the newer lcd cables but the coating has rubbed off on a certain section.

I attribute this to me taking the case apart on a constant basis.

Most of the screws had threaded and i constantly had to take it apart to inject superglue or epoxy in to the screw housings to try and tap a new thread so to speak.

Now that the 256mb pandora is in a new case that i bought from ED (soooo much better) i can report any cable issues back to this thread if you like.

I do have a spare sitting here so it is just a waiting game really.

Back