New Firmware Due @ End Of Month (ish)

oddbots's sdroot kernel with art103's open2x u-boot runs great
here, hope the new -gph kernel will be customized to run from sd also.

cheers
rSl

Koba posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:19 AM said:
the company should be able to develop a better firmware than anyone else, but there are some pretty smart coders here, it would be a tough decision. on a side note, could i get a link to the autobrick fix? i would like to be safe when i get my GP2X.
Should? This is GPH, they can't do anything. Community firmwares will always be better.

As for the autobrick fix, try art103's U-Boot

Last edited by a moderator:
I still want the linux boot sequence , does anyone know if this is possible ??

linux-boot.jpg

thelamer posted on Mar 25 2006 at 02:21 PM said:

linux-boot.jpg

I concur. I don't want to see a loading screen, I want to see Kernel output. Also then I know if it's still going, how long til boot is complete, and if it's crashed so I can just go ahead and get it over with and reset.

The kernel takes about 3 seconds to boot. It would probably take longer to do the screen redraws that it would to get on with it and display the menu already.

I hope they are smart enough to integrate the community-made parts like cramfs (if it is stable enough) and the uboot... and hopefully they coded a new menu?
Who knows?
Craigx?

Paradox posted on Mar 26 2006 at 02:31 AM said:
Alpha2 posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:54 PM said:
Huxley posted on Mar 25 2006 at 09:13 AM said:
I'm still on 1.1.0. It works.

Ditto.

im on 1.4. it works too. point?

Err...if aint broke, don't fix it? Or at least, if you happy with it, why bother upgrading? I wasn't comparing the various merits of each firmware or anything.

Epicenter posted on Mar 25 2006 at 11:24 PM said:
thelamer posted on Mar 25 2006 at 02:21 PM said:

linux-boot.jpg

I concur. I don't want to see a loading screen, I want to see Kernel output. Also then I know if it's still going, how long til boot is complete, and if it's crashed so I can just go ahead and get it over with and reset.

Rock on to that.

Or a BSOD better? To n00bs this may drive them away... unless you say GP2X is completely geared towards geeks.

Most modern Linux distros are using boot splashes (+progress bar) to hide the details too. Think in this way, maybe holding a button during switching on in order to show the details can fit the best of two worlds.

Huxley posted on Mar 26 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Paradox posted on Mar 26 2006 at 02:31 AM said:
im on 1.4. it works too. point?

Err...if aint broke, don't fix it? Or at least, if you happy with it, why bother upgrading? I wasn't comparing the various merits of each firmware or anything.
Don't you want 10 second boots? And a useful file viewer? And better battery life?

z32fairlady posted on Mar 26 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
Or a BSOD better? To n00bs this may drive them away... unless you say GP2X is completely geared towards geeks.

Most modern Linux distros are using boot splashes (+progress bar) to hide the details too. Think in this way, maybe holding a button during switching on in order to show the details can fit the best of two worlds.
With the cramfs fimware you hardly have the chance to press the button, but I agree there should be a choice.

5465756e posted on Mar 26 2006 at 10:58 AM said:
I hope they fix the autobrick bug.
art103 has already fixed that. Weeks ago!

Back