New Firmware 1.3

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by sinkyboy2000, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evening2005

evening2005 Member

I bought it so I could write small games for it. I've got four games on the archive and a side-scrolling shooter in development. At work I teach games development and I'd like to buy a few GP2Xs to illustrate some of the differences between developing for a PC and developing for a much less powerful machine. However, our policy at work (my policy, actually) is not to use software unless all of the licensing issues are clear. At the moment, the GP2X is not something I would or could buy for work even though I personally love the thing. This is one of the reasons why I keep banging on about this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
  2. skeezix

skeezix Internal Development

Oh, by the way, please don't use any of my GP2X software :) (Evidently you would prefer to endorse theft of the work of thousands of people, rather than get GPH to straighten their act. Its always fun until its _your_ work thats been swiped.)

jeff

Edit: Remember, most of the apps you're using on the 2X only exist on the 2X because of the GPL. Don't be so quick to give away your rights.

3. skeezix

Use rechargables :) I get a few hours on them, and dont' mind running them dry since they're a recharge away. I doubt it'll ever have great battery life, but this makes it more a non-issue :/

jeff

4. DaveC

DaveC Internal Development

The long boot is because of linux. Once HH mode comes out it will boot much faster and emulators will run better.

5. skeezix

I'm actually surprised it takes as long as it does to boot. I'm on FW 1.0, but I'm surprised that sometimes it doesn't even boot (hangs on the green), and 1 in 10 times it hangs when an SD is inserted. Thats not Linux.. they pee'd on something :)

A well tuned kernel can boot very quick; I had BSD and Linux kernels on 200MHz machines that'd boot in a couple of seconds -- all the extra tossed out. They're including too much stuiff, and probing. Given they know the hardware, they should turn off probing and just build in exactly what is needed, and let folks build their own fatter kernels as needed...

(I had a mailserver that was 300MHz for 5-6 years .. it booted fast, but all i had was TCP, SCSI + hdd, and a few basics in the kernel :)

jeff

6. starpause

starpause Member

i'm a gp2x owner and i'm willing to wait a few extra months for gamepark to correct a mistake that they should have had right from day one.

i understand everything has been beyond rushed getting the first units out the door.

even so: the linux community is worth pleasing, those hackers are sure to blow us all out of the water with wierd shit to be doing with our gp2x in no time ;)

all in all, deed, your view is quit short sited and your need for instant gratification will only hurt yourself.

7. Empyre

Empyre *w00t*

Try holding down the select button for a few seconds while in a game ;)

8. foft

foft Certified Guru

Woohoo. This is really good news. Good on them. Looking forward to these versions - any tips on whats in them? I'm hoping for faster booting and as good an LCD setup as 1.0. Also some locking on the MP3 player and fixed video would be nice. But the latter could be very complex, lots of dodgy and varied crappy video files.

Shame the way of dealing with it was threats though.

Mark

9. DaveC

I have 1.01 on one, and the latest 1.2 FW on another unit. They had it perfect on 1.01 FW, the blacks are black and the color saturation is much nicer.

You can tell on many things. In the launcher where it is supposed to be an orange gradient (it is with FW 1.01) it is like an almost solid washed out yellow color on the 1.2 FW. In Sonic, instead of the deep blue that he is supposed to be he is a powder blue with 1.2 FW. GPH just thinks "brighter is better", and "more is good" without knowing a thing about corrrect gamma or colors :rolleyes:

An application independant gamma/brightness control in the FW menu would be nice so we can tweak it ourselves. It would then save that setting. I don't trust settings that GPH comes up with. ;)

(this reminds me, I need to make a test pattern pic for testing screen brightness etc)

10. Hanz™

Hanz™ FIGHT THE POWER! :D

Twats.

Edit: Well hopefully they do release the update + source eventually.

11. rokdcasbah

rokdcasbah got me a date with botticelli's niece

what's the point of working on firmware that won't be released? :)

i guess what i mean is, if they're up to 1.5, why not just call that 1.3 and tell the truth, which is, we haven't got jack for release yet...

12. Deed

Deed Member

Apparently I was misunderstood. I totally support open source and GPL (even if I prefer LGPL as I don't like the "viral" effect of the GPL). I absolutely would not "endorse theft of the work of thousands of people". But don't you think it's a little bit too early to talk about "theft" ? Would have it really hurt someone if GPH released one or two closed firmwares upgrades before releasing the source ?

13. DaveC

My god, does almost everythread have to end up in a GPL flame war :angry:

Jesus Christ......

14. TelcoLou

TelcoLou Guest

No ... just ANY thread about the latest FW it seems :(

15. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

It would hurt them, because the backlash from another slashdot article saying: "New Firmware; Still no source in sight." would bring back all of those damn GPL freaks (I love GPL, but I can't stand people who act like it's the ten commandments and flame you if you don't adhere to it within 3... 2... 1... NOW of releasing your binary)

16. Ravnos

Ravnos Asleep in Samsara

And I can't stand people who treat it like it's source-optional. It is a legal document with legal obligations. Anyone who can't follow the rules has no business using it. It's a shame that it took GPH and Dignsys so long to realize this and it's a bigger shame that it's taking even longer for half the people around here to realize it. This whole mess could have been avoided if those obligations had been met from the start.

That's my two cents and I'm stepping out of this before the real flaming begins.

17. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

I understand that its a legal document. And I know its not source optional. But you know what is better than FLAMING someone? A helluva lot of things.

here's an easy list of a few examples:
    • One representative for the whole group sending a polite email or phoning Dignsys.
    • A Petition.
    • Polite requests.
    • And Many other options where you aren't being an ass.

18. Ravnos

Ravnos Asleep in Samsara

Point made.

19. Mikey242

Mikey242 Member

*sighs*

20. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Godmaster

agreed.

Thread Status: