New Firmware 1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkyboy2000

Still Fresh
Think the chat was it was supposed to be released last Fri. Any more news on that front?

fucking hell i seen the title on the front page and thought it was the new firmware fuck.

also GPH said on their site that the new english website will be up in a few days, its been ages...still not up...so slow :|

the English GPH website is really annoying. Still showing the GPX2, and no real support at all. It can't be that expensive and time consuming to translate the Korean one into English.

If you hadn't learnt it by now, then you surely will soon. Don't trust GPH to do what they say. That's when they do actually say something. For a device that is supposed to be open for homebrew development, they are definitely not helping the homebrew scene in any way. The only reason we have what we do so far in the way of homebrew support is through the efforts of Squidge, Rlyeh, DJWillis, Robster, paeryn, gfoot and co.

When they said a v1.3 of the firmware was coming, I didn't place any faith in that they would deliver. I'll believe it when I actually see a file to download.

It isn't going to be released due to GPL threats, 1.4.x is now being completed. Its likely there will be a 1.5 release with source code soon.

Put me on the list of ppl that thought this thread was signaling the release of 1.3.0 and in turn the code.... which was rumored to be attatched to the release.

Alas... it was just another let down... of course. At this point it seems that the firmware and code will come as a pair so as long as one is held up... so is the other. Of course this is just my view and complete speculation... I am in no way close to GPH so I am only guessing.

Oh well.... time to go back to sleep in a hope to waking up to the firmware+source every morning. Its like christmas... sort of... except Santa never promised something he couldn't deliver.

Rest assured sinkyboy2000, you will hear about the FW and Source when they are actually released and the real FW thread will be posted by someone in the know... like a mod or Craigx or DJWillis. Until then lets not get ppls hopes up.

thanks.

@Slygamer: GPH helped the homebrew scene very much with giving away developer-boards for free (as far as I know) for some ol' GP32-devvers, e.g. Squidge. And they're giving us a console WITHOUT any stuff to be broken/cracked first like mod-chips or cracked firmware like SONY does... And, yes, we'll beat their asses up and down when the GP2X really takes off... (meant the PSP ppl not the GPH ones... :)

They have probably been waiting for the Coding Competition to start, so that they can use the next firmware as there entry into the competition.

craigix posted on Feb 3 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
It isn't going to be released due to GPL threats, 1.4.x is now being completed. Its likely there will be a 1.5 release with source code soon.

Thanks for the update, Craig.

Allan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Javacat posted on Feb 2 2006 at 04:17 PM said:
They have probably been waiting for the Coding Competition to start, so that they can use the next firmware as there entry into the competition.
Hah!

craigix posted on Feb 2 2006 at 01:55 PM said:

Many thanks for the info Craig.

So by this are they going to release 1.4 or hold until 1.5 and then issue it with the source ??

Any info in what's to be included in these updates ??

Sorry for more questions, just interested is all ;)

Cheers

craigix posted on Feb 2 2006 at 02:55 PM said:

He said 'soon'........ yeh right....

'Soon' means nothing in the gph sense, any more accurate idea craigix?

Paradox posted on Feb 2 2006 at 07:12 AM said:
fucking hell i seen the title on the front page and thought it was the new firmware fuck.

also GPH said on their site that the new english website will be up in a few days, its been ages...still not up...so slow :|

Same here :(

slygamer posted on Feb 2 2006 at 07:40 AM said:
If you hadn't learnt it by now, then you surely will soon. Don't trust GPH to do what they say. That's when they do actually say something. For a device that is supposed to be open for homebrew development, they are definitely not helping the homebrew scene in any way. The only reason we have what we do so far in the way of homebrew support is through the efforts of Squidge, Rlyeh, DJWillis, Robster, paeryn, gfoot and co.

When they said a v1.3 of the firmware was coming, I didn't place any faith in that they would deliver. I'll believe it when I actually see a file to download.

Same here

craigix posted on Feb 2 2006 at 07:55 AM said:

That's cool, I wonder why though

Mine is sitting here collecting dust until they release something.

Battery life is just too piss poor in it's current state to really take it out all day, so it sits on my desk.

At least I didnt start the topic this time.

craigix posted on Feb 2 2006 at 02:55 PM said:
Yes ! We win ! We are so smart ! Thanks to the GPL police ! Thanks to the GPL police we ... hu ... we are losing firmware 1.3 and 1.4. F***ing dumb ass :( But at least all these dick heads have what they deserve now.
btw cannot GPH pm firmware 1.3 (without the source of course) to any people that said fine things about them instead of threatening them in these forums ? :p

edit : what is really sad is that i'm pretty sure that most people that complain over and over about this GPL stuff and that wanted the source NOW are NOT gp2x owners :(

craigix posted on Feb 2 2006 at 01:55 PM said:

Hopefully they will fix the gamma in the new release. The 1.2 is way too bright washing out the blacks and "over exposing" the color.

It needs to be turned down a notch.

DaveC posted on Feb 2 2006 at 11:14 AM said:
Hopefully they will fix the gamma in the new release. The 1.2 is way too bright washing out the blacks and "over exposing" the color.

It needs to be turned down a notch.

I got my 2x with 1.1 on it, and never updated, but I've always found the screen to be too bright as you described. Was this the case on firmwares earlier than 1.1? Wasn't one of 1.3's promised features a brightness/contrast control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back