New Commodore 64 cases anyone?

I pledged for a blue one and will probably canibalize one of my old 64's for the keyboard but yes, a new keyboard would be nice too. Most of my white 64 keyboards have turned yellow and I think the breadbin- brown keys will not look as good in the blue case.

One of my 64's is in mint condition, the case hasn't yellowed at all yet. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent the plastic from turning yellow over time?

Also I'm still waiting for the C64 reloaded Motherboard from individual computers but I'm still unsure wether I should get that. It's gonna be 149 euro excluding VIC II, SID, PLA and CPU and an old c64 containing all those will set me back 30 euro max. I do like the fact that the power supply has shrunk down to a wall adapter on this new board.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/c64_reloaded

ps. Iirc Individual Computers has matrix keyboard to usb converters to connect an Original keyboard to a modern computer

Last edited by a moderator:
I pledged for a blue one and will probably canibalize one of my old 64's for the keyboard but yes, a new keyboard would be nice too. Most of my white 64 keyboards have turned yellow and I think the breadbin- brown keys will not look as good in the blue case.

One of my 64's is in mint condition, the case hasn't yellowed at all yet. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent the plastic from turning yellow over time?

Also I'm still waiting for the C64 reloaded Motherboard from individual computers but I'm still unsure wether I should get that. It's gonna be 149 euro excluding VIC II, SID, PLA and CPU and an old c64 containing all those will set me back 30 euro max. I do like the fact that the power supply has shrunk down to a wall adapter on this new board.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/c64_reloaded

ps. Iirc Individual Computers has matrix keyboard to usb converters to connect an Original keyboard to a modern computer
Yes I gather people have pledged so that they have a housing for the c64 reloaded.

oxidation
I can't remember if it was decided that everyone would declare this the culprit since many old electronics in similar environments can have a big difference in discoloration.  I think I remember hearing that UV exposure was a more likely explanation which can somewhat be supported by computer cases that had something on them for long periods that blocked light but not airflow.

Does anyone know what I can do to prevent the plastic from turning yellow over time?
Just a guess: Dark temperature and climate controlled storage, possibly with no oxygen.

I don't mind the look of discolored cases.  It is just as much a part of the individual machine as anything else.  For several years I have debated trying to restore my Platinum IIe.  All of my others are still various states of discoloration, with markings they picked up for inventory and other purposes over the years.  Paint and reproduction cases are what I go for when I want something that looks different for other older electronics, so I like the color choices here.  Black would have been nice as well, and might hide discoloration better than lighter and brighter options.

Edit:  If anyone knows a source of affordable C64s that won't require weeks/months of watching ebay for something in acceptable condition that isn't too expensive.  I would possibly pick up one of these red or blue cases if I didn't end up with a breadbox, and maybe even then if it will fit in that style of case, and I am ok with how the keys look poking out.  Don't they say that blue and brown go together (although I am leaning more toward red since the actual blue cases might not be the almost purplish shade I see on this monitor)?

Nice idea, the guy says he's a "picker" and found the original molds at a business liquidation auction.  Would be a shame if these molds had been thrown away.  I guess todays plastic materials do not get yellow that hard like the old computer cases did back then so maybe these new cases last longer when it comes to colours. ^^"

Hm, did anyone ever thought about C64 metal cases?  :D

its UV that discolours the plastic. saw it all the time on photocopiers that were near a window... part original colour and the part that got sun yellowed and almost sunburnt looking some almost went as far as looking orange!

most modern plastics are UV stabilised so they dont discolour the same..

oxidation
I can't remember if it was decided that everyone would declare this the culprit since many old electronics in similar environments can have a big difference in discoloration.  I think I remember hearing that UV exposure was a more likely explanation which can somewhat be supported by computer cases that had something on them for long periods that blocked light but not airflow.
Yes, it's apparently an anti-oxidant ingredient itself breaking down that causes most yellowing -

http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_old_white_plastic_turn_yellow

To delay the onset of degradation as long as possible, both process stabilisers and long-term stabilisers are added to the polymer. The most important primary anti-oxidants used for long-term stabilisation are the sterically hindered phenols. Unfortunately, these exhibit an undesirable side effect when exposed to ultraviolet radiation. They develop deeply coloured molecular structures resulting in irreversible yellowing of the plastic.
Though the irreversible part isn't necessarily the case, like Retrobright, there are 'solutions' out there to try at your own risk...

(from the English Amiga Board )

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9J4yF3OpYZQ?feature=oembed

New stuff inside for the new stuff outside anyone? ;)

800px-C64_reloaded_Proto2_BigPic.jpg

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded

New stuff inside for the new stuff outside anyone? ;)

800px-C64_reloaded_Proto2_BigPic.jpg

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded
If only it were cheaper.  Maybe priced close to the cases which are only *click*...hmmm... $35...  But I need at least 2 now, 1 for my red or blue case, and one for my clear case, since I will also preorder the clear (damn them!) if I buy a case, and the inside needs to look really nice, since you will be seeing everything.

I can't find a listing or way to order the reloaded mobo.  Can someone link me to the order page or instructions on how to order.  Too lazy to search and read atm, and I should be sleeping.  I really want these now.  At the very least the C64 reloaded and clear case.  I guess I can wait a bit if they won't be limited runs of each.

I'm glad theres something happening in the motherboard area. However my experience is that some chips, esp. VIC-II, SID and CIA are the ones that are most fragile. Unformtunately they couldn't be fixed and the only replacement option is canibalising other units.

Thats pretty hot :) Too bad they're not looking into keyboards to match..

As is, you need an old C64 for parts.

I sort of don't like their 'dick move' of "and they'll never be made again".. great, you found retro treasure, so.. yeah, kill it. Jerks :) Thats called a marketing threat.. but I don't much like to see it made over retro treasure. Make more :)

I'll have to check ebay for C64 keyboards or something.. for my zikzak homemade machine, I've not had time to design and 3d print a case.. but using a C64 case, thats a cool idea for it ..

I wonder if there are other cases existing out I coudl use.. hmm!

jeff

I didn't mention that.  I saw both the clear and beige as add ons to those who buy one of the others.  I don't currently see myself buying more than one case, and I am most interested in the clear with reloaded mobo.  Otherwise I will eventually just buy an old one with everything original.

I was also thinking about the keyboard, but the originals don't look bad with the new cases.  If I had my way I would probably go for a black case with a black keyboard.

skeezix, you are right about the "dick move" of course.  Perhaps they will continue with other colors, and these are Kickstarter only colors.  Not sure why beige would be limited, but maybe black will happen eventually.  If you do order one or more of these cases would you allow me to piggyback on that and send you money to purchase a clear case for me?

I would but I think I'll take a pass.. $35 for a case seems very fair, but I took (a brief) look at ebay for C64 'parts' etc.. and it would seem (right now, perhaps spurred by KS even) that even dead C64s are going for $100+ or more. I never actually had a C64 - was a Vic 20 kid, the C64 little brother - so it'd cost me a fair bit, just to want to gut it. Used to see fully working units with monitors and the works, for like $5 on curbside years ago.. sigh :) (And I did pick up a C64 monitor once, since they're good retro monitors in general, for hooking up Ataris or whatever. I used it to test my NTSC mode in zikzak before I switched to VGA support)

I've been letting go (not ditch, but ever so painfully letting go) a lot of my retro gear o er the last few years. no room anymore, gotta make space for kids :) So I'm cutting down to my more 'core' stuff, the stuff I had or wanted as a kid .. my arcade gear, and some Atari 16bit stuff (I have super rare stuff, like STacy and ST Book and such.)  I got rid of Commodore PET and a lot of big stuff like that, and a lot of my arcade boards and parts. Think we still have a Vic 20, and I still have Atari XEGS and I think a XL .. but I need to do another round of 'trimming' soon, and remodel my junk room :)

So yeah, think I'd best take a pass for now :(

*Sigh*

Love my retro stuff, but got too much :)

(lets not even get into handhelds .. death first!)

jeff

That price, even from ebay, or maybe especially from ebay, is a bit too much for me, and is why I have been waiting.  They do come up significantly cheaper around certain places I check.  They either go before I see them or are just out of my price range, and I don't have the money to waste at those times.  I don't have history with the c64 (or any Commodore products), so I want it mainly for games and music, and to a lesser extent just to see what I can do with it, and maybe buy some recent stuff made for it.  Since I don't know if I will use it much I am trying to avoid the $100+ options.  I prefer to fix it up myself a little at a time for a lower initial investment (plus I learn more about it that way).

Monitors are ridiculously expensive.  Every time I think I find a good deal and see the shipping price I skip it.  I only have a small Magnavox green monochrome one now, and have been looking for an amber monitor for several years.  I plan on picking up one of the Apple color ones from that time after I get amber.

I have been considering cutting down on some of my old stuff.  Recently, while looking at some of the recently released Game Boy cases in fact, I decided that I need to keep a couple of each model I use (for backups) of those and sell off the rest.  Since the third party backlit GBA screens are no longer being made I may have to resort to an GBA SP.  I was always willing to give up a couple of my Apples for a C64.  The main reson I have as many of those as I do is so I have parts for the two I actually use.

While I would recommend keeping all your old gear and make the kids use that instead of buying them newer stuff, in my experience they don't want to use it for games, because advertising, and they need newer computers for assignments (although I would challenge any teacher/school that offers computers and printers for printing assignments that are required to be typed that did not have the ability to print from the floppies I have if I didn't have newer hardware.  I do have a mechanical typewriter as well, but that would be just cruel...  The same with other assignment requirements, unless they are providing the computer and paying for the ISP, for example.)

Even though I want to get rid of some things there are a couple, like arcade cabinets and something that isn't exactly computer or video game related, that will take up a lot of space, especially on the floor, that I would buy anyway, especially if I got them at a great price.  I guess I could get rid of my bed to make room, yet I kinda doubt that would go over too well.  You are lucky that you get a room for your stuff.  I have a closet and some shelves in a corner for most of my stuff, and an old Nintendo cabinet in another room for some of my more frequently used consoles.  Most of it is packed so densely that just getting out what I want requires rearranging everything.  Since weather is still a bit cold here the place where I normally mess around with things has a bunch of plants and lights on it.  I need to repot those when it gets warmer.

Back