New boards

There is no icon for an already read topic, is this intentional or should there be a grayed out one like the one for read topics that one replied in?

There is no icon for an already read topic, is this intentional or should there be a grayed out one like the one for read topics that one replied in?

This is part of the new design I don't like...

Read ones shouldn't have any icon, threads with new posts should have an icon.

Then where you replied should be a simple dot.

Not sure what I'll do to make that pretty.

MS IE6.0 is now uploaded... geez, that REALLY looks ugly.

Seems MS IE is the only browser not working properly. Even Links looks fine.

Such crap... I'll check if there is some workaround for that.

Hmm, It's not exactly life-threatening sensitive data [on this forum, remark] though, is it? It's just a bunch of geeks mucking about on a forum. Hardly a huge loss to the world if they do get hacked. And couldn't the vulnerability have been patched rather than a whole new board installed with all the vulnerabilities that will bring just by itself?
"'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy".

-----

Is the Pandora stalker important enough to be included along with the Wiki, Apps, Repo, Bookmarks and Facebook?
Puzzling question, I was thinking about that myself... but does a new user understand what that's about?
Imagine a world where no cars do exist. One day, a group of people constructs, builds and is about to begin selling cars. Imagine someone out of that group, let's call him Bob, saying "I'm not sure if selling cars is really a good idea, it is risky, do new users understand what cars are about?". Bob is right, because in a world where cars are unheard of, people really might not understand why one should spend so much money on a transportation tool as well as additional money on gas and repairs; After all, established ways of traveling and transporting objects do already exist.

This is how Bob sees the car.

But he is also wrong since cars can be tremendously beneficial for various tasks, even if neither Bob nor any of the new users realizes this yet; For instance, cars can greatly improve transportation logistics for commodities as long as enough cars are being used, thereby increasing overall efficiency and quality of living, which justifies investing in a car for professional transportation jobs since it means more income - it's just that no one has thought of this yet because it has never been done before. (Do you remember the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSNFE6eUjfY? Today it's well-known that it can actually save money even relatively short-term.)

As long as Bob realizes that viewpoints are relative and manages to learn and understand some potential benefits though, and as long as he thinks that these benefits would help many of the new users, he should try to explain these benefits to the new users instead of going the route that seemed to be more helpful first, that is, instead of deciding to make a bicycle out of the car before selling it. Yes, everyone knows about and understands bicycles, but what a pity! "I think there is a world market for about five computers.".

Ed, please tell me if you think that I'm wrong, but it seems to me that sometimes, you figuratively bend yourself, on the fly, around too many of all the perceivable potential "interrupts", thereby risking to slowly and unnoticeably change things that you do not want to change, and don't notice this imbalance. In any case, please remember that the analogy above doesn't apply to Pandora Stalker exclusively.

Whenever one wonders whether or not a new user would understand a specific thing, re-evaluating the necessity of having new users understand the thing immediately and instead starting to focus on the potential benefits can be helpful sometimes. If it makes you believe that these benefits are worth it, then start thinking about HOW to make sure the thing will be understood as opposed to thinking about IF it would be understood. Defaulting to trying to help new users understand (instead of "cutting down") prevents an otherwise inevitable degradation to an average performance, which would make it very hard to sell more Pandoras. However, the prerequisite is to have solid plans.

-----

Then again, I'm a regular here and I still don't understand what Facebook is about :p
Dethroning Google. ;)

Thanks ED - it's much more usable on a Pandora now! No more scrolling ...

The Latest Files feed is also a nice thing about these new boards.

I'm still no closer to getting either of those apps working properly through my Ipod. The Ipb app pretty much reproduces the mobile theme from here, but doesn't allow previewing of a thread, or even showing a list of page numbers so that I might select the last one for reading the last posts on a thread. I'm in work now, viewing this through Firefox 6.0, if I select the mobile theme, I get the exact same behaviour as on the Ipod! As for the Tapatalk app on the Ipod, that really doesn't seem to play nicely with the board at all, I don't know how well the previous version of the board worked on it, I've only just downloaded it...

TapATalk has already released an update for v3.2.1, I just haven't installed it yet.

Will do so soon.

Also, what other IPB app are you talking about?

TapATalk has already released an update for v3.2.1, I just haven't installed it yet.

Will do so soon.

Also, what other IPB app are you talking about?

There's a dedicated app for this on the Apple App Store, it's simply called IPB (I think), and it's free. If you view the mobile version of this site through Safari on an Ipod/Iphone, it'll actually automatically point you to a link to download it from the store, down where the change theme button is (I don't have my ipod with me in work so I'm working from memory on this). When logged in through the app, the view is near identical to the mobile view on here, icons and all. If the Tapatalk app can be made to work properly, that'd be great (either's good, it's just handy to be able to scan the boards with only a few screen presses, that's all! :) )

The problems I still see:

• No more sub-titles with posts
  • No 'mark all forums as read'-button or none that I can see/find.
  • I couldn't use my old avatar since there now seems to be a minimum-size for avatars.

Otherwise: things work fine and great job :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, for individual sections, click on "Mark this forum as read" next to the "New Topic" button. :p

Thnx vadsamoht.

Since the upgrade _all_ topics where marked unread. Very annoying when you want to read new stuff only :p

Back