New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

Finally able to see the full spec list and I would happily pay $80 for it. I'd even pay $100 for the wood grain one. Too bad that's less than half what they're asking.

Seems it has already raised ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Doctor Evil would be proud.

And Chris, this thing has the specs to play modern indie games, plus has an open Linux OS, so you can put games from other services or FOSS games on there.

We plan to ship the first run of Atari VCS before the end of spring, 2019. This date is subject to change.

adding to that the generic hardware (with a nice enclosure though, I like the onyx ones looks) plus a launcher and they only charge as much as a Playstation 4 for it ... wow

if love makes stupid nostalgia must make braindead :D

But as this case is made by stacking lasercuts ... hm ...

*edit* correction they use injection molded parts for stacking but the general idea would work with lasercutting too

Last edited:
Plenty of money in no time for this. And a new translation of ancient Greek poetry I am interested in probably won't be funded...

Yep, one functional prototype then woohoo - off the mass production. That'll end well.

Also, from the list of companies I can identify Eden Studios, who were bought by Infrogrames a good few years ago now, Code Mystics who seem to handle the emulation side of things, Monster Games who started out making Wii shovelware, but have made a niche into modern updates of classic games, and Llamasoft. The others I don't know, and neither does wikipedia, but it seems like a decent bunch, but how much they can do in a year remains to be seen.

Yep, one functional prototype then woohoo - off the mass production. That'll end well.

Also, from the list of companies I can identify Eden Studios, who were bought by Infrogrames a good few years ago now, Code Mystics who seem to handle the emulation side of things, Monster Games who started out making Wii shovelware, but have made a niche into modern updates of classic games, and Llamasoft. The others I don't know, and neither does wikipedia, but it seems like a decent bunch, but how much they can do in a year remains to be seen.

Yeah, I just don't see anything more than what was shown from the start of this, and with all these delays, I at least expected some games beyond Tempest. I'm glad their doing so well, but I really just can't see much point in this past the "Atari" factor of it all.

Chris

Last edited:
A lot of people think they will use the 9700E. Here is a video of gaming performance for that chip

Well, while we are discussing Atari, and their return to greatness or ass clownery(depending on ones point of view), another old system is ready to rock & roll..............Intellivision! I doubt they pull in the funds Atari is, but hopefully it's something more worth my time and funds, as this Atari device certainly ain't it. Announcment will be made later today, unless they push it back, Atari style. LOL

Last edited:
A lot of people think they will use the 9700E. Here is a video of gaming performance for that chip
That is assuming the cooling solution can keep those five? cores running maxxed out for about three minutes without lagging. Now this is quite a thick console at the back, so there may be space for a beefy cooler in there, or they may have some of the nous equivalent to the mainstream console designers being a relatively big and experienced company, and are looking at cleaver ways to transfer the heat around and split it or concentrate it away from the chip in a place that's got good airflow.

It's basically a PC with Ubuntu preinstalled...

Steam Machines use another Linux distro, SteamOS, and they still update that thing, just in case i guess.

Still a PC with Linux, and that interface looks like they made a skin for Kodi.

From specs it seems you could play a lot of indie games released for Linux, not only from Steam or their own store, but GoG, Itchio, Humble, etc.

If Infogrames here sits in the corner facing the wall while Flex designs their AMD APU SBC, and the company formerly known as MOGA continues development on their controller I can see this reaching market with a minimum of teething issues with an install base of <100k, given the price for the BoM should be reasonable.

That said I don't see much of a point to this.
  • Infogrames is a French company whose only relation to Atari is they bought the name in the wake of the death of the last holder of the name...
  • Their behavior since they announced this haven't inspired confidence in them in any capacity beyond being sidelined while competent sub-contractors build the hardware for them.
  • You can buy the same Atari Vault they're advertizing as a pack in on Steam now for $10, at normal price.
  • Their initial push has only got them up to around 8.5k backers at the moment, and these things tend to rapidly trail off so it's pretty much guaranteed they're going to have an install base of less than 100k.
  • In turn that means their marketplace will be too small to attract devs on its own, and they will be too small to meaningfully influence the dynamics between Linux and Game devs while sitting in Steam and GOG's shadow.
  • The 28nm Excavator based AMD A10 APUs are basically on clearance due to the 14nm Ryzen 2700U and similar APUs filtering in. So if you want one you could basically walk into a Best Buy now, get a laptop for around the same price, and flash it with your distro of choice. That's supposing Flex doesn't re-spec of course.
  • The way the case is currently laid out, it only makes sense if it's a massive stacked passive aluminum heat sink. In turn I have a feeling Infogrames will need to redesign the case after Flex designs the board they need.
I wouldn't call this a scam, but I expect it to turn into a Charlie Foxtrot.

I'm curious how "OPEN" the system will be at the end. If you can gain full access to the underlying linux system and things programs like Kodi or RetroPi are running on this machine besides some server programs (BIND, Apache Webserver, BackupPC, etc.) I would consider spending the money. Although it's overpriced for this HW-specs, it's still in a price range I would spend fo a home media centre. It looks nice!

Maybe the software they're delivering has some nice features. IMO there could grow a fanbase which deliver nice contents too.
I'm not going to fund their Indiegogo campagne, but I can imagine buying one (or a used one) after it's out.

The RaspberryPi 2 I'm using now is not that beefy.

For sure I'll keep an eye on the Atari VCS.

AFAIK MiniITX boards are still a thing, and should fit fairly well in a 70s/80s original VCS. No idea what one of those costs in good condition these days though, and of course this new case is not entirely identical to the old ones, and I guess you could have a preference.

Seems nobody's done it yet, but someone has done it in an old Atari 800XL: https://www.mini-itx.com/projects/atari800/

Edit: I should correct myself - that's not an XL, but it does contain a non-functional XL keyboard assembly apparently.

Last edited:
Hat jemand von Euch raus gelesen, ob man bei der Atari VCS auch ROOT-Access bekommt? Für mich wäre dieser Computer nur interessant, wenn ich selbst Server-Programme installieren kann (Apache Webserver, MariaDB-Server, SSH-Server etc.)?

Hat das jemand schon in den Kommentaren auf der Indiegogo-Seite gefragt? (Irgendwie komme ich in der Desktop-Version der Seite nicht zu den Kommentaren. In der Mobilversion geht das schon...

Back