New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

I just don't understand why they went to GDC with this. Absolutely nothing worthwhile to show. We shouldn't really be discussing it at all, but then they went and did this.

Yeah, it's poor decision making like this, that tells us these guys have no clue. Like I said, it's keeping their name out there, but who really cares? If they close up shop tomorrow, maybe in 6 months or a year, someone might ask what happened to this, but I doubt it. This thread only moves when a new announcement is made, with no other interest any other times. The longer this goes, the worse I see it getting.

Chris

Quite the Ouia... it is smaller then I thought when I saw the guy holding it.
I actually like the console visual and extras, but inside, I don´t see where they could go right., specially with that kind of campaign.

OMG!

the guy behind the atari meme is this guy:

feargal_1326974082_85.jpg

Feargal Mac Conuladh - a fucking "CEO" Douchebag
He was alredy involved with some shady kickstarter "projects" and was exposed by StopDrop&Retro

I have heard he is not involved with the Atari VCS anymore. Aparently it has always been an Atari Initiative with Feargal brought on to manage it . But as of a while ago, I believe he is no longer on the project
Could be wrong

Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before/coming_soon/pies

May 30th: It begins.
May 31st: It ends in tragedy.

Code:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before/coming_soon/pies

May 30th: It begins.
May 31st: It ends in tragedy.

Yep, that sounds about right. LOL

Chris

Why the old hardware? It would be wise to move to a raven ridge CPU. Make a pro version with hades canyon ;)

Did I miss something? I thought they were still keeping quiet on the actual hardware other than it's something from AMD.

Edit: I can't fine any actual specs were they posted somewhere and removed?

Last edited:
Going by what Atari have said in interviews in the months past, I would bet that they have delayed it to next year so as to use one of the new AMD chips being launched in 2019.

It's looking like they are going to try to run the campaign with no actual specs. If the specs are right at the $200 mark I MAY buy it as a SFF linux box that happens to come with some old Atari games (hopefully some of the few that are still worth playing) but with NO SPECS at all other than "AMD" I will not be buying it even if it's sold for $50. To note I was already looking to spend $70 for parts to build a Linux system for my niece using a case, PSU, RAM and Bristol Ridge chip I have laying around.

Well, this garbage finally launches in 2 hours over at IndieGoGo, with a base model being $200(with link from emails), and $300 for the wood grain LE. I'm guessing they will show some games and what the system is all about, but to what level......who the hell knows? I have way less interest in this now, than I did when it was first announced, and my interest was about "less than ZERO" back then. LOL

They are going to need to show something AMAZING for me to even take a second look, and just based on the past year of this, I don't see that happening. I'll for sure give a look, as it's Atari after all, but this seems like a mad cash grab to me, with very little real world needs or uses. But I guess we'll know one way or another in a few hours, unless it gets delayed again, which wouldn't surprise me either.

Chris

Well, this garbage finally launches in 2 hours over at IndieGoGo, with a base model being $200(with link from emails), and $300 for the wood grain LE. I'm guessing they will show some games and what the system is all about, but to what level......who the hell knows? I have way less interest in this now, than I did when it was first announced, and my interest was about "less than ZERO" back then. LOL

They are going to need to show something AMAZING for me to even take a second look, and just based on the past year of this, I don't see that happening. I'll for sure give a look, as it's Atari after all, but this seems like a mad cash grab to me, with very little real world needs or uses. But I guess we'll know one way or another in a few hours, unless it gets delayed again, which wouldn't surprise me either.

Chris

Everyone is up for a cash grab this year it seems. Even Intellivision have announced today that they will launch a new console

Well, that is probably the longest details section I've ever seen for a crowdfunding, and it said absolutely NOTHING!

Outside of playing old Atari games, and Tempest 4000, what else will be offered? Did I miss something? This system looks like it did when it was first announced, as I see nothing new that would make me take a $200+ gamble? People will truly buy anything I guess, as this looks like snake oil at it's finest. LOL

Chris

Back