New Atari Console Coming (Ataribox)?

Crash aside, my family had a 2600 and it was legit. 'Bout time we got back to the days of square pinballs, square tires, and Activision being a quality developer. :p

I'll take a wait and see attitude, as I can't remember the last thing Atari did that was of any decent quality. I really can't see a new system to compete along side "N", Sony & MS, but if it was classic based, and offered a proper way to play trackball, spinner, and other unique control methods along said games, I could be interested.

Chris

Hey guys, I emailed ataribox at the Dev link using the words 'programming hobbyist' instead of developer and got a response. I asked how open development for their platform would be. I don't think I should quote their response directly, but basically, I didn't get an answer. Just said that content strategy for their platform would be critical, and as soon as they roll out their developer strategy, I would be among the first to know.

Hey guys, I emailed ataribox at the Dev link using the words 'programming hobbyist' instead of developer and got a response. I asked how open development for their platform would be. I don't think I should quote their response directly, but basically, I didn't get an answer. Just said that content strategy for their platform would be critical, and as soon as they roll out their developer strategy, I would be among the first to know.
Mmmmm............Curiouser and Curiouser.

Chris

When I hear internet of things, I have to think of smart fridges and the like. Retrofitting 5200s?
atari_5200.jpg

Just in case it wasn't clear enough before when the Ataribox announcement went out through Atari's official mailing list or when an Atari spokesperson confirmed the Ataribox is legit to The Verge, you now have this.

You do know that the Atari of today has about as much to do with the Atari that made the 2600 as the DeLorean Motor Company of today has to do with John DeLorean right?

You do know that the Atari of today has about as much to do with the Atari that made the 2600 as the DeLorean Motor Company of today has to do with John DeLorean right?
Delorean still exists? News to me. But yeah, atari were talking about wearable tech last time I heard. It sounded like a dumb idea and a further sound thrashing for the atari name. If this console is decent, cheap and reliable I guess a profit can be turned.

Ouch, you hit me right in the hype. :-(

The stuff Bill Loguidice has been saying about it over at the AtariAge forums still has me pretty hyped though. He says that it's a cool device, whomever it's made by. He did mention that another company was partnering with Atari to make it, didn't say who.

Owning and using an atari lynx for about 20 something years, one would expect me to respect the brand. I do, but the past long gone ones.
If anything serious would come out of this, I´m sure they would be looking for those who praise it, and those who do, don´t give a shit for hype but for hard concrete facts.
The way this is going is for a crap box running a bought brand. No hopes here.

Without more info or details, this might as well be about Bigfoot or the Lochness Monster. Atari has done many things over the years, but in regards to decent hardware, I haven't seen anything great since the Lynx, and that was Epyx who did the heavy lifting there. I just can't see them contributing anything meaningful at this point in time, based on past history.

If they should happen to produce something that isn't a pipe dream, I'll take a look. But without some serious backing and a HUGE amount of cash, I don't see this going anywhere past the discussion of it all(or something not worth anyone's time).

I would think SEGA is in a better position to get back in to gaming hardware before I would think Atari stood a chance, but time will tell I suppose. At least SEGA kind of went out on a high note with the Dreamcast, but the last thing I even remember of Atari doing anything recently was them screwing over Jeff Minter when TxK was released, and that wasn't in the positive. So my hopes are far from high for this, but I wish them well.

Chris

In terms of my favourite atari hardware, my current avatar should be an indication.

That's right, it's the side art to atari's classic arcade machine, Centipede!

In terms of this new console thing, I can't think of anything useful to say until they release some more details about what it is, and what you can do with it.

[doublepost=1497654911,1497653669][/doublepost]
In terms of my favourite atari hardware, my current avatar should be an indication.

That's right, it's the side art to atari's classic arcade machine, Centipede!

In terms of this new console thing, I can't think of anything useful to say until they release some more details about what it is, and what you can do with it.

I can still clearly remember the first day my local arcade got in Centipede, and how I got in trouble for spending my lunch money to play it. LOL I also remember clearly it was raining that first day, so once I played my cash on hand, I went back and forth a few times in the rain that day to play again.

Things could have turned ugly, but my parents took pity on me, and realized this new addiction wasn't going away anytime soon, so they opted to start taking me to the arcades on the weekends, so I wouldn't spend my lunch money during the week. Having an arcade within a 5 minute walk of my apartment didn't help, to say the least. So I guess it worked out for me, but I'm still spending my lunch money and then some on games. LOL

Chris

I for one welcome a new player in the console market especially if it's near as open to developers as the 2600 was.

Back