NES emulator for pyra

adhrain

Still Fresh
Is there a good emulator for the old NES? I’d like to play the first Super Mario but Nestopia from the debian repos is slow and music doesn’t wirk properly. Any suggestions? Thanks

Not yet, so far we only have an old 2600 emulator (stella), a mac emulator (Mini vMac), a DOS solution (DOSbox), a PS1 emu (PCSXreARMed), a N64 emulator (Mupen64plus), a PSP emulator (PPSSPP) and a DS emulator (DraStic). I feel that's enough to play with for now until a good NES emulator gets ported.

Not yet, so far we only have an old 2600 emulator (stella), a mac emulator (Mini vMac), a DOS solution (DOSbox), a PS1 emu (PCSXreARMed), a N64 emulator (Mupen64plus), a PSP emulator (PPSSPP) and a DS emulator (DraStic). I feel that's enough to play with for now until a good NES emulator gets ported.
Thanks, I wasn’t implying some kind of deficiency in the project, I am aware of the growing number of optimized emulators in the dbp repo (I am using the dosbox and n64 and as soon as I find a good sd card I will try the ps1 and ds emu). I just wanted to be sure I hadn’t missed some obvious way to run a NES emulator.

Yeah we're still waiting on someone who at least half knows what they're doing to get some good emulator ports running. I was playing with the nestopia-UE source today, I compiled it just fine and it fails to run with gl4es just like the version on the deb repo. I did actually get it to run fullspeed using the software gl drivers though, but only when I set the scale to 1x and tell the emulator to go fullscreen. (it doesn't actually go fullscreen but it hides the menus and runs faster for whatever reason)

Reactions: rSl
i have a naive question:

when porting emulators to pyra is the main challenge to get the dependencies in place so they compile & run, or making optimisations to get the games fast & playable?

I think its everything from everything: Emulators you get from the Debian Repo are preeconfigured for much faster machines, not for the Pyra, so they need a lot of optimications, even if you put the Command in for OpenGL, not every Pyra have the same depencies installed, so they need to be include as well..

Its awesome to hear that you on work for the NES Emulator Wally, it will be an honor to make a Video in our Garden ^^

i have a naive question:

when porting emulators to pyra is the main challenge to get the dependencies in place so they compile & run, or making optimisations to get the games fast & playable?
Well so far what has been ported is heavily arm optimized already, it's just essentially getting the dependencies and compiling. The story would be different if you took an emulator that was only intended to run on x86_64 based PC to the Pyra.

Right now I see the biggest challenge is getting the issues with the 2D fullscreen resolved and some of the oddities of the 3D that still exist. I don't know we have the players in the game yet to solve this.

Last edited:
Back