Is it possible to run Android emulator on Pyra?

Ted

Is it possible to run Android emulator on Pyra? Or, is there any Android emulator for Debian/Linux?
How about the operation experience of these emulators? i.e. play Android games.

IIRC, Replicant is being ported (wich is nice). Dual boot *should* be possible.
But Replicant within an emu, with modem bridged to host would be such perfection.
Downside: even if possible, it's gonna take time (TwoMonth).

Actually that reminds me, does anyone know how compatible Shaslik is? It lets you run Android applications on linux natively but the videos I've seen are fairly old and couldn't run flappy bird or something in the video.
http://www.shashlik.io
Anyone tried it out? If it's decent enough maybe we can get it on the Pyra

Reactions: Ted
Actually that reminds me, does anyone know how compatible Shaslik is? It lets you run Android applications on linux natively but the videos I've seen are fairly old and couldn't run flappy bird or something in the video.
http://www.shashlik.io
Anyone tried it out? If it's decent enough maybe we can get it on the Pyra
Wow! Didn't know this existed, would have helped me so much a few years ago. Totaly getting it thou. If it would work on the Pyra and we get phone functionality working on the Pyra then I think I could finally say goodbye to Android forever

apkenv was still being updated as of last November, though the Pandora version was never really maintained.

There is also another thread on here somewhere with somebody writing a VM to host Android within Linux on the Pyra. I can't be arsed to search for it myself though

Wow! Didn't know this existed, would have helped me so much a few years ago. Totaly getting it thou. If it would work on the Pyra and we get phone functionality working on the Pyra then I think I could finally say goodbye to Android forever
Yeah if calling + SMS software is made successfully, I'll abandon my phone. Android support would be great on the Pyra so I can run some mobile proprietary applications still.

apkenv was still being updated as of last November, though the Pandora version was never really maintained.

There is also another thread on here somewhere with somebody writing a VM to host Android within Linux on the Pyra. I can't be arsed to search for it myself though
If you're talking about @pablocrossa 's thread, he is gone. We suspect he might be dead, last seen in May the 4th (lol) on 2016.

Replicant is nice, but I was hoping to be able to run things I've bought on Google Play store, and the Replicant people don't seem to like people installing gapps, so perhaps Cyanogenmod could be an option? That's just Replicant with the Google stuff left in right?

Replicant is nice, but I was hoping to be able to run things I've bought on Google Play store, and the Replicant people don't seem to like people installing gapps, so perhaps Cyanogenmod could be an option? That's just Replicant with the Google stuff left in right?

Isn't there a Google Android source code release that all of these are based on? Since it will have to be massaged into either the Pyra's physical or a virtual/emulated layer, why not start at the root of the tree?

The problem is that Google keep their gapps/play services closed, and behind a relatively 'strict' license (You MUST pass CTS in order to use them, and you MUST pass CTS in order to use the brand name "Android"). It kinda makes sense, you don't want people making incompatible forks and still use the brand name, as that'll just muddy the market and confuse people in the long run. Installing gapps without doing this is breaking this license agreement, so it's understandably avoided, especially in any professional venture.

It would be pretty immoral for the FSF to expect people to respect their own license agreements (GPL etc.) then ignore the license agreements of others.

@JonnyH I was under the impression it was alright to install them yourself as an end user though. That is what I want to do. Like what was done in the Pandora Android.

@JonnyH I was under the impression it was alright to install them yourself as an end user though. That is what I want to do. Like what was done in the Pandora Android.

No, google *do not* provide a licensed version for individual use. By the reading of the published docs, technically any time you modify your own android image you'd need to run CTS and submit the results to google's partner review process in order to get the gapps enabled on that device image. And I guess Google reserve the right to reject this for any reason, but they've seemed pretty cool in the past (as they're in the business of promoting Android's use, not holding it back), but I think there would be some push-back if thousands of people started submitting their results individually. And that's assuming that the OSS releases *do* pass CTS, which takes a huge amount of effort for the device manufacturers, and likely need significant effort to close down the corner cases that most users won't likely notice, so not at the top of the todo list for the port maintainers.

The gapps published in paranoidandroid/xda-developers are breaking the license by being ripped off a device image (or leaked from a google android partner).

But realistically, google don't care (and likely privately cool with it for personal use) - so long as you don't try to sell the thing. But you're *techincally* breaking the license.

Isn't there a Google Android source code release that all of these are based on?

Android is from Big Bad G.
Android Open Source Project (AOSP) is their FLOSS release.
Like CentOS for RHEL.

CyanogenMod is based on AOSP.
The compagny behind it died a few weeks ago [and I'm not laughting at them].
The project has been forked, community driven only.
Now rebranded LineageOS.

Replicant is based on CyanogenMod.
Il is fully deblobbed (drivers, bloatware ...), like Pandora for Arch, Triskel for Ubuntu, Libreboot for Coreboot ...
Replicant team strongly suggest to use FLOSS repositories only (F-Droid) to keep the device free as the bird.
But I doubt it forbids users to use Google Play store if they really want to do so.
There might be some incompatibilities though ...

Those information are subject to caution since my knowledge here comes from my readings only.
I never owned an Android device and thanks to the Pyra, I may never have to.

No, google *do not* provide a licensed version for individual use. By the reading of the published docs, technically any time you modify your own android image you'd need to run CTS and submit the results to google's partner review process in order to get the gapps enabled on that device image. And I guess Google reserve the right to reject this for any reason, but they've seemed pretty cool in the past (as they're in the business of promoting Android's use, not holding it back), but I think there would be some push-back if thousands of people started submitting their results individually. And that's assuming that the OSS releases *do* pass CTS, which takes a huge amount of effort for the device manufacturers, and likely need significant effort to close down the corner cases that most users won't likely notice, so not at the top of the todo list for the port maintainers.

The gapps published in paranoidandroid/xda-developers are breaking the license by being ripped off a device image (or leaked from a google android partner).

But realistically, google don't care (and likely privately cool with it for personal use) - so long as you don't try to sell the thing. But you're *techincally* breaking the license.
Ahhh so if I need gapps I'm pretty much on my own then.

I don't really know either. I was just responding to Ted's post with an updated link that seems to still be relevant. What little I do understand of Android suggests that it would allow some android apps to run, but whether it'd run at the same time as other X apps I don't know.

Back