N64 Emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Ok, so we know that n64 emulation may be possible on the pandora, but have any developers committed to trying to do it? (or saturn emulation for that matter?)

I'm curious if the developer consensus is to worry about porting what works on gp2x or exploit the extra horsepower to create previously impossible emulators.

Im going to try it if noone releases one before i get a pandora, but i doubt ill be the first to try

Laurent said:
Read the FAQ: http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ

I have read the faq, which is why its answer is the same as my acknowledgment in the first part of my post. My question is whether or not any developers planned to work on it or were already considering doing so. That is still to be answered as of yet.

This is an important point of concern because if no one makes an effort to get the more recent systems emulated, all the pandora offers is a potentially better experience for the games and emulators we already enjoy on the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we first need to have good emulators of systems we feel will be emulated correctly and in a satisfactory manner. That's the best way to become familiar with the system and it's a good way to avoid frustration of embarking in a too complex project.

Then we'll see what happens :)

So if you're considering the Pandora only for N64 or Saturn emulation, don't buy it until an emulator comes out.

Laurent said:
I think we first need to have good emulators of systems we feel will be emulated correctly and in a satisfactory manner. That's the best way to become familiar with the system and it's a good way to avoid frustration of embarking in a too complex project.

Then we'll see what happens :)

So if you're considering the Pandora only for N64 or Saturn emulation, don't buy it until an emulator comes out.
Well, I don't want to have that attitude because if everyone does, no one buys the first run. I recognize the importance of early support from the community to make sure there is more than one 3,000 unit run. On the other hand, I don't want to invest in a unit if no one has intentions of even trying full speed psx, n64 etc. emulation. I want to at least know, maybe after a year or more with the device, we'll have at least one person making progress on an emulator.

anexanhume said:
On the other hand, I don't want to invest in a unit if no one has intentions of even trying full speed psx, n64 etc. emulation. I want to at least know, maybe after a year or more with the device, we'll have at least one person making progress on an emulator.
I think most of the people here are more than happy to buy a Pandora on "spec" and trust that more advanced projects will come out as programmers have the time / energy to work on them. You have to remember that these guys (and girls) do this as a hobby. For free. You're coming very close to making demands for information that nobody has.

Like Laurent says, if N64 / Saturn emulation is all you care about, then hold off until (if) it shows up.

anexanhume said:
Well, I don't want to have that attitude because if everyone does, no one buys the first run. I recognize the importance of early support from the community to make sure there is more than one 3,000 unit run. On the other hand, I don't want to invest in a unit if no one has intentions of even trying full speed psx, n64 etc. emulation. I want to at least know, maybe after a year or more with the device, we'll have at least one person making progress on an emulator.
Considering that there's more than just Homebrew/Emu people intrigued by the device, you shouldn't worry as much- as there's going to be more than just emus this pass around. ;)

I'd have to concur with Laurent and Chip on this- if you're expecting N64/Saturn/Etc. emu on the Pandora, hang loose. If you're interested in UMPC, the games and emus that DO come of this
capability that Pandora brings, then budget for the first production run. I'm eagerly awaiting the kit offer so I can buy one and see just how far I can take the little thing. :D

I've noticed an increase in what I would call "badgering" posts lately, mostly from new or occasional users with very few posts here (in this case, 13).

This is generally a friendly developer-centric community, and I think this badgering needs to stop. It's one of the things that made other "scenes" horrible for developers (i.e. PSP: whiny demands from ungrateful users, mostly kids).

Anyone who has a real understanding of the homebrew/emulation scene knows better than to ask such questions. Not only because they're annoying, but because they're pointless. In the case of the Pandora - AT LEAST wait for the hardware to be finished before badgering devs... <_<

Chip said:
anexanhume said:
On the other hand, I don't want to invest in a unit if no one has intentions of even trying full speed psx, n64 etc. emulation. I want to at least know, maybe after a year or more with the device, we'll have at least one person making progress on an emulator.
I think most of the people here are more than happy to buy a Pandora on "spec" and trust that more advanced projects will come out as programmers have the time / energy to work on them. You have to remember that these guys (and girls) do this as a hobby. For free. You're coming very close to making demands for information that nobody has.

Like Laurent says, if N64 / Saturn emulation is all you care about, then hold off until (if) it shows up.

Demands for information no one has? People know whether or not they are working on something or plan to work on something, don't they?

Sure, I believe in the power of this device, and we know there are plenty of people interested, but are there enough to actually drive this device? Are there enough people willing to pay the $320? Many people say they will, but how many actually will? Even with the best intentions from the devs, who seem to be doing great, and the greatest hopes from the community, this thing may still fail. That's the nature of the tech world.

And my dollars matter enough for me to want to gauge whether or not I'll spend 320 on a device that may not take off. Don't get me wrong, I love the guys who donate their free time to get this stuff working, and I certainly don't demand anything of them, but 320 is not chump change and it's fair to ask what I can be expecting.

anexanhume said:
And my dollars matter enough for me to want to gauge whether or not I'll spend 320 on a device that may not take off. Don't get me wrong, I love the guys who donate their free time to get this stuff working, and I certainly don't demand anything of them, but 320 is not chump change and it's fair to ask what I can be expecting.
You'll be getting what the FAQ describes, more or less.

There is no concrete way to provide any more info than that. The hardware is not even finalized yet. developers don't have Pandoras yet. Your questions are pointless at this time.

You're barking up a non-existent tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back