Where Next

juniorm33

Now that N64 which was seen to be the pinnacle of emulation on the Pand is looking good, yea not 100% but boy is it looking good so far no matter how much more optimisation is possible.

DC has been made a start on.

PSP being looked into. (JayFoxRox missed reading your updates, I'm going to have to see if you've been updating your blog with anything even if it's not PSP related)

So what's the pinnacle now in your eyes?
The next ID engine source to be released and ported optimised.
Homebrew games.
Productivity software.
Other engines.
Game developer type tools.
DS.
Sheez even a new repository

Guess this is a list that's not only the pinnacle but what you would like to see next maybe?
I'm just really curious.
Emulation wise, we may not see anything more demanding than N64,DC and PSP being emulated and running, that's not the point of this thread.

The absolute pinnacle for me would be the PS2.
I know, I'm mad, I'm a dreamer, but you never know. It's abnormally unlikely, but with an improbability drive you never know....

Anyhow, considering the power of the Pandora, I'd like to see it put to full use by homebrew, and I'd like titles that rival surpass the quality of commercial games in replayability, graphics (at least for handhelds), etc. Alot of this falls upon the shoulders of the developers, and whether or not they choose to be creative.
I'll do my best.

The pinnacle for me is anything of high quality content-wise (as in, software that is useful and does its job well, games that are fun and well-designed, and so on), as opposed to any particular technological achievement. :p (I'm sure we'll see plenty of those, after all.)

Prometheus said:
The pinnacle for me is anything of high quality content-wise (as in, software that is useful and does its job well, games that are fun and well-designed, and so on), as opposed to any particular technological achievement. :p (I'm sure we'll see plenty of those, after all.)

Reminds me of the good old gameplay is king mantra. It sure is, nothing in particular you looking forward to though?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good question. As I sit and wait for my Panda, I often try to think about what, aside from gaming, I will be using it for as a computer. I think some sort of make your own game program that takes out the coding aspect, even if only for a text adventure or simple use pictures (jpg,png,bmp etc.) type of thing would be great so those of us who may never code can offer something fun. I would like to see some basic video editing (virtualdub maybe), or easy to use multitrack recording (I've seen mention of this coming) but other than that, I can't really think of a Killer App, but then again, I am unfamiliar with most Linux applications. I look forward to using The Gimp but that's really all I know about. I think getting flash to work just to be able to use things like Hulu would be the biggest thing I would need that isn't likely soon. I love watching Hulu shows and movies, so being able to sit outside at night relaxing to a show or movie without having to plug in my laptop and run cords would be the biggest attraction to me. Here's hoping adobe comes through on their promise and soon!

The single most attractive thing to me beyond gaming controls is that this device seems only limited by it's processing capabilities. So whatever the next big thing, I'm sure it will be pretty amazing. I've said it before but again, the type of coders we have in this community are amazing in their ability and in their dedication to making the most of the device they create for, and not being paid for their services they generally give us products that while maybe not the eye candy of a big business production house, is unrivaled in creativity and the drive to make what they offer the absolute best it can be. Thanks to their talent and generosity, we get the best of the best of what are machines are capable of. Thanks again to all of you Devs and the selfless things you do for us all. Even if what you offer isn't the new Killer App it is greatly appreciated!

Maybe a successful open-source project born from the Pandora comunity, targetted specifically at the Pandora platform (ie. making maximum use of available controls).

Even better (funnier) if this project ends up being ported/adapted for other platforms, a complete reversal of the usual "port things into Pandora". :lol:

Na-Noo said:
Reminds me of the good old gameplay is king mantra. It sure is, nothing in particular you looking forward to though?
Well, seeing some software designed with the OMAP3530 (though not necessarily the Pandora exclusively) in mind would be one thing, I think. :)

Doom3 for me too, consider that a few years back it needed what was the cutting edge hardware in the home to run - to see that boot and run on a portable device would be amazing.

Then I guess I'd like to see the open handheld scene take off, kill the PSP, and we all have a good time.

craigix said:
Doom3 for me too, consider that a few years back it needed what was the cutting edge hardware in the home to run - to see that boot and run on a portable device would be amazing.

Then I guess I'd like to see the open handheld scene take off, kill the PSP, and we all have a good time.

I third that. Did they open it up yet though? I know they are known to open code in the past, have they yet with Doom3 (honest question, not a troll). If not, has anyone heard that they might?

Edit for spelling.

Maybe a successful open-source project born from the Pandora comunity, targetted specifically at the Pandora platform (ie. making maximum use of available controls).

Even better (funnier) if this project ends up being ported/adapted for other platforms, a complete reversal of the usual "port things into Pandora".

i think that sounds like an awesome idea, people in the forum putting together a game for the device that was created here, that would be like a cherry on top i think

BackAssward said:
I third that. Did they open it up yet though? I know they are known to open code in the past, have they yet with Doom3 (honest question, not a troll). If not, has anyone heard that they might?
wikipedia said:
At the QuakeCon 2009, Carmack said that he planned to petition Zenimax to release the id Tech 4 source upon the release of Rage (expected in 2010)

edit: which is to say, ID has previously released the source for the previous engine only after the next engine is out, and the Doom3 source should be no different.

Saturn emulation. You know, that thing everyone says can't be done. Maybe notaz can be coerced to start working on this after he gets 32X done.

stephen0205 said:

Even better (funnier) if this project ends up being ported/adapted for other platforms, a complete reversal of the usual "port things into Pandora".

i think that sounds like an awesome idea, people in the forum putting together a game for the device that was created here, that would be like a cherry on top i think
Um...
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HURnEcvl8s4[/media]

EDIT: Help is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURnEcvl8s4

For some reason I'm not seeing videos in this forum... Let's see if this works:

EDIT: Oi, still not seeing it, just a blank box... help?

My hopes for the performance of this device have already been met. Mario64 and Mario Kart 64 both look playable in the N64 emu. The DC emulator looks like it's already a bit faster than the PSP version, and they haven't really hit the limits of the hardware yet there. The videos of the Quake games look great. So, the pinnacle for me right now would be experiencing that power first hand. :D Anything after that will just be icing on the cake.

the pinnacle for me is also Doom 3! I also hope we will see an original game made specifically for the Pandora pushing the hardware to its limits in terms of visuals!

Exophase said:
Saturn emulation. You know, that thing everyone says can't be done. Maybe notaz can be coerced to start working on this after he gets 32X done.

Daytona, Sega Rally and NiGHTS into dreams... in portable format?

Awesome!

I recon NiGHTS would be awesome to play whilst going through turbulence on a plane!

Pleng said:
Exophase said:

Daytona, Sega Rally and NiGHTS into dreams... in portable format?

Awesome!

I recon NiGHTS would be awesome to play whilst going through turbulence on a plane!

I would love to replay NiGHTS on a decent emu. The linux one that I've tried just doesn't cut it, and there were issues with the PS2 version that I've tried. Also, the new game was just not the same.

Saturn would also be at the top of the list for me. Yabause is an open source (afaik) Saturn emulator for Linux and they have an extremely slow PSP port, so that might be worth looking into.

Perhaps if there are any daring and eager devs out there, they can try to work out some collaboration with the Yabause team. Just throwing that out there. But I know how painful getting Saturn to work would be, so I'll be content with N64 for quite a while :)

Back