N64 Vs Psx Rom Size?!

Joppu

Still Fresh
What is this all about? One psx iso takes like 700mb of space but n64 games take often something like 50mb. Some n64 games are even more advanced graphics than some psx games. I realise that psx has cd format, but do they cram the cd full of some unneeded junk just to fill it up? Just wondering how this is possible.

even pc engine cd and sega cd games took up a lot of space cause of cd audio and such. the developers weren't exactly worrying about making life easier for kids illegally downloading their games. cartridge games have always been smaller even the biggest carts like neo geo.

why is this even in this forum? gp2x can't emulate n64

Yeah, this forum section was closest to "emulation" section i could find

Depending on the emulator you can use a combination of iso compression and audio ripping to shrink the iso image though.
PicoDrive uses CSO and mp3 :)
Psx4all can use iso compressed by pocketiso too.

Sorry if a bit off topic but is there a good working way to use compressed psx isos on pc psx emulators at the moment . In the past (2002 2003 I suppose) thee was a cd drive plugin called mooby"s for epsxe (which I never got to work and there seems to be almost no info on it on the net) and that"s all.

What bothers me is that even games like Vagrant Story can be compessed to about 90 mb and of they could be played in that size it would be great. It is really great in some way (for people like me who store all roms on hd) , even though carts were supposed to be hell hard to code for and made square to betray nintendo and run into sony"s arms etc etc. You can almost have all n64 roms released on 1 dvd yay. And I think while psx games have more content isn"t more than half ae boring movies and music. Shame it was forgotten that it doesn"t need huge space or shiny cutscenes to make great rpgs. look at all the games on tiny (compared to n64) carts and all time best games such as Chrono Trigger , Final Fantasy 3 , Earthbound , Tales of Phantasia , Seiken Densetsu 3 ........

(back to topic, kinda)

anyone have info on how to use zipped psx isos

Back