N-gage Emulator

A

Ash

Firstly - I apologise if this has been requested before.

Since N-Gage games will slot directly into the GP2X's card slot it would be ideal to have a working emulator. There are some great games on the N-Gage (Pathway to Glory for example) but as soon as I upgrade my mobile they will be useless.

Any thoughts?

Hightly unlikely, as the ngage has a 100mhz CPU or something like that, and some sort of 3d chip also I think (but I might be wrong about that).

If it is a ARM cpu it could maybe work with the GPadvance approach (theoreticly), but I doubt that that will ever happen.

Dunno if thers enough people who want an n-gage emu or anyone wishing to do one. I think a lot of people have there gp2x for mostly older gaming stuff (megadrive/c64/spectrum/snes/nes..etc). while its nice to see many platforms catered for I think there really isnt that much call for it at the moment. :(
Sorry. I could be wrong though. Thats just my opinion.

It is a 104MHz ARM9 processor, so it could probably done using the GPadvance approach. I wasn't able to find anything definite on special 3D hardware, but it looked like there wasn't any.

N-Gage does not have any 3d accel. It does 3d on main CPU as when playing Quake on GP2X. But I think (I could be wrong) it has math coprocessor.

Has nokia discontinued the ngage yet? There might be legal issues if its still for sale.

Has Nintendo discontinued the GBA yet? No, but there's a bunch of GBA emulators out there :D

as long as the emulator stays free it's all good i think... but if you try to make people buy it like they did with bleem - you are in for a legal ass kicking!

Well I don't really know much about coding but if the cpu is compatible and the "GPadvance approach" is used it might very well happen... first the "GPadvance approach" should bring us decent gba emulation if anything like that happens though!

I think a lot of people have there gp2x for mostly older gaming stuff
I wouldn't say that... with all the people looking forward to the Playstation emulator.

The N-Gage does have 3D accelerator hardware which will be a hard to emulate at a decent speed. RAM+Processor emulation alone is probably too heavy already. If there was MMU control, it would be feasable. Without it, maybe HLE would do the trick.

Trashman posted on Mar 15 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
TKF15H posted on Mar 16 2006 at 01:10 AM said:
I think a lot of people have there gp2x for mostly older gaming stuff
I wouldn't say that... with all the people looking forward to the Playstation emulator.

Do you not think playstation (one) is old now?
Compared to megadrive/c64/spectrum/snes/nes..etc? Not really.

Last edited by a moderator:
TKF15H posted on Mar 16 2006 at 04:49 AM said:
That comparison is irrelevant. SNES and NES emulation began when those systems were younger than the PSX is, and they were both considered "old" at the time. The PSX debuted over 10 years ago, it is most certainly "old".

I think it is. If so, then there is an emulator for it (sorta) which is the one that comes with the SDK.

Ravnos posted on Mar 16 2006 at 07:58 PM said:
That comparison is irrelevant. SNES and NES emulation began when those systems were younger than the PSX is, and they were both considered "old" at the time. The PSX debuted over 10 years ago, it is most certainly "old".

That's your opinion.

Jarska333 posted on Mar 18 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Mar 16 2006 at 07:58 PM said:

That's your opinion.

Who the hell else's would it be?

I break the entire gaming phenomenon into 3 categories, depending on their age. The PSX is in the middle of the two others. Having debuted in 95 or 96, it was relatively recent that it was still in use (discontinued around 2002). The PSX was one of the flagships for the 3d graphics that we see today - and should not be put on the same table as the NES or SNES, based on its age alone. The function that it served distinguished it from the others.

The playstation will be 12 years old in december and the N64 will be 10 years old in July, yet I still wouldn't class them as old skool, or even old.

For anyone interested, the SNES will be 16 in November, the megadrive will be 18 in October and the NES will be 23(!!!!) in July.

Scary stuff ;)

Back