Release MyPaint port

This is a very cool program can't wait to show it to my friend who makes the toastman paints, (Im not sure he'll like it he's pretty die hard paint :D ) But he's also a very good pen and paper drawer so he might churn up some great stuff.

I tried to draw some grafity on it and I found it was not accurate enough to make very close paralel lines however I might succeed with zooming etc.

- The color selection popup can be switched off in the preferences. I will turn it off in the default settings.

Had a look in preferences but could not see any way to change the way that buttons work. This feature is mentioned on the mypaint wiki but it refers to the development version.

Edit : Found it! You can turn off the right click selecting the recent colours by unchecking the tick box on the input preference.

Many thanks for the port BTW, looks like another Pandora essential to me. Great to see pressure sensitivity so well realised on Pandora. Looking forward to seeing what sort of artworks will be produced on our little machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm figuring out the default keys bit by bit. It really is very intuitive to use. D-pad to scroll is perfect. One odd thing I noticed: when you zoom out, every second one is blurry.

I'm really loving these brushes, especially the pencils. If only there were some way to combine these brushes with the intuitive animation interface of Pencil...

I made a new version with:

- right click color selector disabled by default (thanks Esn!)

- better mapping of pressure values (thanks whynodd!)

- squashfs-ed the pnd, so it is much smaller (numpy takes a bit of space).

I tried building a version of numpy with more optimizations, but it did not speed things up noticeably, so this is as good as it gets ;) The zooming out getting blurry must be due to the zooming algorithm..

How do we get this in the appstore/file archive?

download (9 MB)

Thanks, I'll try out the new version soon...

Here are a few quick doodles I made:

(using "leaf" and "fur" from experimental brushes)

(using 2B pencil from Ramon and the first paintbrush from the first set of brushes, to colour on a separate layer)

This is wonderful! The pressure sensitivity works great. Way better than I dared hope for. I'll probably post some sketches soon :)

This is so epic. Bound to be one of my most used apps when I recieve my Pandora :D

Testing out the charcoal brush:

tbnfX.jpg

(I don't know what's the deal with that horizontal line at the bottom... maybe the file got corrupted on my SD card...)

I thought of a few more feature requests, First... :p

1. Could you make it so that each new layer created is named something different? For example, 001, 002, etc. I have to rename them to that anyway, because it's confusing working with more than one layer when they're named the same thing.

2. Not necessarily a feature request, more of a question... is there a quick way to switch between layers when you're in fullscreen mode? (I'm finding that painting in fullscreen mode is really, really nice... use the two bottom-left buttons for zooming the image, d&f for zooming the brush size, X for colour history, T to pick a new colour, Z & Y to undo/redo)

A thought occurs to me... if there was a quick way to change layers in fullscreen mode (by pressing some keys, perhaps; previous/next), MyPaint may be able to serve as an animation program, since you'd be able to quickly cycle through the layers like through frames (then there would just need to be an option to export all layers as consecutively numbered image files, or export one particular layer)

EDIT: Hey, while I'm getting crazy ideas... if there was also a way to batch-import consecutively numbered images as layers, one could create an animation in Pencil (using its primitive brushes but good interface for animation), export it as a PNG image sequence, import it into MyPaint as layers, then go over each frame on a separate layer one-by-one in MyPaint (deleting the original Pencil frame as you do), and once you're done, batch-export everything into numbered PNGs again.

3. More of a question... how does the program determine where the borders are, when you save as an image? I wasn't happy with the borders recently, and had to recrop it on my PC. Because there's currently no program on the Pandora that can open and edit bitmap images (as opposed to view them, or create new ones). A port of GIMP exists, but the Pandora version can only open files in its own native format.

Ok, I really should have looked first... there is already a way to quickly switch between layers, and to cycle up/down between them (top&bottom game buttons). I'm really amazed at how many details have been thought of. So never mind about that part of my post. :)

3. More of a question... how does the program determine where the borders are, when you save as an image? I wasn't happy with the borders recently, and had to recrop it on my PC. Because there's currently no program on the Pandora that can open and edit bitmap images (as opposed to view them, or create new ones). A port of GIMP exists, but the Pandora version can only open files in its own native format.

Quoting from the mypaint wiki:

Note that MyPaint automatically saves an image just big enough to contain all of your brush strokes. Unless you make a very large image, you don't have to worry about haves large files. Only the part of the canvas you are using is saved..

I don't know what happens if you erase parts of the image, but I guess that part is still contained in the exported image.

Great stuff here :)

This app is really COOL.

I can't wait to try it on my Pandora.

Thank's

I want my Pandora T_T

this looks really, really fun... and it has answered my prayers for a pressure sensitive paint app exactly (right down to the app itself!). I will be looking forward to playing with this once my unit arrives.

THANK YOU! I use Mypaint all the time for sketching. Having it on the Pandora is truly awesome.

Here's my humble contribution. It's my second piece done on the Pandora. The first seems to be lost due to some sort of file corruption. Do we have card unmounting yet? :(

sk002.jpg

The Pandora's screen has some color banding issues, doesn't it? :-/

THANK YOU! I use Mypaint all the time for sketching. Having it on the Pandora is truly awesome.

Here's my humble contribution. It's my second piece done on the Pandora. The first seems to be lost due to some sort of file corruption. Do we have card unmounting yet? :(

To unmount an sd card, just close everything that is using it, then on your xfce desktop simply do a right click/unmount on the sd icon. (no clue about minimenu tho)

To unmount an sd card, just close everything that is using it, then on your xfce desktop simply do a right click/unmount on the sd icon. (no clue about minimenu tho)

Only works on HF5 as I remember...

I just noticed that there seems to be no option to export individual layers, batch or otherwise, or to combine a few layers into one. This is really unfortunate, as I was hoping to try some animation work in this later.

Here's another abstract doodle (also with the charcoal brush)

lyCU2.png

I haven't noticed colour banding...

Back