8Gb Transcend Class 6 Sdhc Not Recognized By Wiz

drvelocity

Still Fresh
I've got my Wiz up and running with an old 2GB Kingston SD card, but it won't recognize an 8GB card from Transcend no matter how I format it. I've tried Fat 16 and Fat 32 from OSX (even Fat 12), and I've formatted it through Windows XP, all using an external memory card reader. The card works fine on my computer, I'm able to copy files to it, etc. But when I try to access it using the GP2X, I just get an "Insert the SD card" message. Can anyone offer any advice?

It's funny because I ran into similar problems on Open2X for the GP2X. I own one of these cards and it is, at least nowadays, somewhat flakey in its ability to be recognized even when inserted before powering on the GP2X. I know you are talking about the Wiz but it makes me think. Someone else reported similar problems to me on the GP2X using a Transcend 8GB SDHC class 6 as well.

You should always try cleaning off the SD's contacts using rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. Turn the unit off and insert the SD in and out after dipping the end of the SD in the alcohol. Then, blow it off and also the inside the Wiz with some canned air (not your mouth, ideally). On other cards that has usually done the trick for me.

Senor Quack said:
It's funny because I ran into similar problems on Open2X for the GP2X. I own one of these cards and it is, at least nowadays, somewhat flakey in its ability to be recognized even when inserted before powering on the GP2X. I know you are talking about the Wiz but it makes me think. Someone else reported similar problems to me on the GP2X using a Transcend 8GB SDHC class 6 as well.

You should always try cleaning off the SD's contacts using rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. Turn the unit off and insert the SD in and out after dipping the end of the SD in the alcohol. Then, blow it off and also the inside the Wiz with some canned air (not your mouth, ideally). On other cards that has usually done the trick for me.

Wow, I feel special to have help from one of the people that make the Wiz platform so awesome. :)

Thanks for your input, I'll try it - but I don't have very high expectations, since both the Wiz and the Memory card are brand new, I'm not sure how it could be a dust issue. I'll have to ask the manufacturer directly if they have any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Transcend 8GB class 6 SDHC card and it works fine in both the Wiz and card reader (on an XP machine). Ironically, I've just got a Bytestore 16GB card and, while it's fine in the Wiz, it isn't recognised in the cardreader under XP (I have tried it in a Linux machine yet). Luckily though, popping the new card into a PDA and plugging that into the XP machine works OK :)

Back