My Wiz Bricked? Blue Light, Won't Go Past Load Screen

mikein21061

Still Fresh
hi guys,

I saw a few others in the forum who had my problem, kinda. I just bought my wiz, and suddenly it won't go past the load screen, blue light stays on when it should be off. I had only loaded mame, pocket snes, etc. no firmware change attempts.

I've heard some say I should reflash my SD card. I have no idea what that means. :( The one guy said this worked for him. If ya'll could give me pointers, I'd be in your debt!!! And, if firmware upload is an answer, I don't know how to get my SD card to show up in the wiz. (clueless noobie)

mike

Does the orange screen come up but stop before the white "Loading" text appears? That happens to me sometimes... what always has fixed it so far is to flash the wiz firmware. What that means is getting the latest firmware from http://dl.openhandhelds.org, follow the instructions to put it on your sd card, and then boot your wiz with the sd card in and while holding the "R" button. Leave it go for at least 30 minutes... mine went to a garbled screen the first time I flash the firmware but I left it for a long time to make sure it finished and it was fine when I booted it. Whatever you do, don't turn it off (keep the cable in for power too) while the firmware is still updating.

This is starting to seem like a common problem with the Wiz. Happened to me once so try this; 1. Download firmware from the archive and put it on the root of your SD card
2. Flash the firmware by holding R trigger and turn unit on
3. Wait for it to finish,reboot and you should be good

It's probably a good idea to keep the firmware on the SD card in case it happens again

hey guys, thanks so much for trying to help me. i've tried to flash the SD card and reboot like you advised these past two days, but no good. Yep, it stopped at the "loading" screen and turned itself off. So, I put the firware onto the SD card, unzipped the files, and put them on the root of the card. I then put the card back in, held the R button, started it up, and got the "upgrade firmware" screen. It then said it would take about 15 minutes, and then I got the message that the upgrade was complete and that I should reboot. I turned the wiz off and back on again, while the wiz was connected to my computer and not connected. unfortunately, it still keeps stopping at the load screen. :(

So, assuming I did the process right, I've called thinkgeek.com to try to return it....unless you guys have any other tricks up your sleaves.
either way, thanks for helping me! :)
mike

mikein21061 said:
hey guys, thanks so much for trying to help me. i've tried to flash the SD card and reboot like you advised these past two days, but no good. Yep, it stopped at the "loading" screen and turned itself off. So, I put the firware onto the SD card, unzipped the files, and put them on the root of the card. I then put the card back in, held the R button, started it up, and got the "upgrade firmware" screen. It then said it would take about 15 minutes, and then I got the message that the upgrade was complete and that I should reboot. I turned the wiz off and back on again, while the wiz was connected to my computer and not connected. unfortunately, it still keeps stopping at the load screen. :(

So, assuming I did the process right, I've called thinkgeek.com to try to return it....unless you guys have any other tricks up your sleaves.
either way, thanks for helping me! :)
mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back