My Loyalty Under Fire.

Please suggest them about my battery holder idea... =D
I don't recall it exactly. Wasn't it for a AA holder that would fit in where the LiIon battery did? .. Honestly, I've never seen a LiIon pack in a portable device that was in that size and shape, I don't really see them cramming it into the machine.. I suppose room could be made for it, I'll bring it up. I just would not count on it happening. If GP uses a quality, high-current LiIon pack that is an off-the-shelf part replacement won't be an issue, and if they use a high-quality SoC that matches ARM power saving reference standards, e.g. from Samsung, TI etc. battery life should be much better than the GP2X exhibits. The GP2X's MP2520F only draws so much power because its power-saving features are close to worthless, its core voltage is way too high, and it uses old, power-hungry SDRAM (not even Mobile SDRAM.) GP's already stated a willingness to use MobileDDR from the very start, which is lower-power, yet much faster.

Look at the Xbox 360 wireless pad. It has the dual capability to use a li-ion pack OR AA batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was a sort of "generic" Li-on rechargable pack, we would have no need to have this conversation. Why can't the game companies quit with the "specialized" battery crap already and just agree on a standard format! Can you ever imagine PC companies trying to pull such a stunt with PSU's?

Why can't the game companies quit with the "specialized" battery crap already and just agree on a standard format!

They make a lot of money with proprietary goods.

Can you ever imagine PC companies trying to pull such a stunt with PSU's?

What "PC Companies"? PC-compatibles are generic.

GP isn't making their own batteries, screens, SoCs etc. so they have nothing to gain from using any proprietary parts that need to be bought from GP, you'll just need to get them from their respective manufacturer.

Right. They'll put them in proprietary casing though, I can bet you as much, and they will have unknown, obscure origins, so the easiest replacements will have to be bought form GP themselves. They're not stupid, they're a company like any other, out there to get your money.

This whole fanboyism surrounding a non-existing handheld is really starting to get on my nerves.

- Alex

I like the 320x240 resolution. ;P
I got a response from a GP employee about the XGP. It took a few weeks to get a response. They/he basically said "feel free to write us" but it was a fairly short message in response to a long detailed one with a few general questions not specific to the XGP. I decided not to continue the talk with GP. They didn't seem to want to talk for whatever reason. Though it's commonplace, especially in South Korean company's practices.

To the original poster (if he's still an active member): The Sharp Zaurus C1000 is one of my favorite handhelds ever. Definitely give it a good consideration.

Craig: Ever heard of the company Digital Cube? They're based in that part of South Korea. They make PMP's in the $600 range under the www.iStation.co.kr iStation project line.

I got a response from a GP employee about the XGP. It took a few weeks to get a response. They/he basically said "feel free to write us" but it was a fairly short message in response to a long detailed one with a few general questions not specific to the XGP. I decided not to continue the talk with GP. They didn't seem to want to talk for whatever reason. Though it's commonplace, especially in South Korean company's practices.

To the original poster (if he's still an active member): The Sharp Zaurus C1000 is one of my favorite handhelds ever. Definitely give it a good consideration.

Craig: Ever heard of the company Digital Cube? They're based in that part of South Korea. They make PMP's in the $600 range under the www.iStation.co.kr iStation project line.
Actually, Gamepark's very good with responses in my experience. Maybe the man who handles the English e-mails isn't one of the technically inclined ones. I don't know--I don't ask overly complex hardware questions because I wouldn't understand them myself. :p

Right. They'll put them in proprietary casing though, I can bet you as much, and they will have unknown, obscure origins, so the easiest replacements will have to be bought form GP themselves. They're not stupid, they're a company like any other, out there to get your money.

This whole fanboyism surrounding a non-existing handheld is really starting to get on my nerves.

- Alex

Alex, you clearly have no interest in the XGP systems or anything from GamePark and are perfeclty happy with the GP2X, so why are you posting here just to be antagonistic? I agreed to stop taking part in any discussion in the GP2X forums for this very reason, you should show a higher level of maturity and do the same. Stay away from forums when the topic under discussion does not interest you. Otherwise, it's nothing but trolling.

How is it fanboyism to say you could potentially replace the battery without much difficulty? One method that'd work is to put the battery inside a holder that unscrews or slides out. In such a cavity in the machine, there would be either the LiIon cell or a AA holder that would have 2 leads coming off of it to connect into the machine. The actual pins of the battery wouldn't need to match up precisely, they'd just need to make electrical contact via some leads like replacement batteries for cordless phones. (not cell phones.)

Azalin said:
Dude, it happens to every gaming device, ever.

But see, Azalin, as far as Alex is concerned, normal behavior by a company selling a product is evil and not having a problem with it is being a Fanboy. But the same logic can't possibly apply to GPH, GPH is above God and Jesus and all natural laws of the universe, so they can release hardware that is essentially a failed attempt at fixing faults in the first hardware release, and have it hailed as an achievement and worthy of a second purchase, when in the real world it should've been a free replacement following a product recall. I love how his logic doesn't have to work both ways.

zodttd said:
I've been speaking to GP regularly via e-mail and instant messages, I haven't experienced any communication problems with them. When they did take a few days to reply they apologized excessively for the delay, and it was usually due to a holiday of some sort. They may not have been as specific as possible because many design attributes of the XGP series are uncertain and there is a lot of info they do not yet want made public. I'll say more when I can about that, but suffice to say things seem to be moving in very positive directions with development, but it's just mostly 'behind the scenes' right now.

zodttd said:
PM him about this, it's very much off-topic. Also you know how well Craig and I coexist in topics. :p

You're right Epicenter, I'm one rabid gph fanboy. As a matter of fact, the photograph below is hanging on my bedroom wall as we speak:

gphinstarsmo7.jpg

:p

- Alex

Epicenter: Speaking of PMs, your inbox is either full or incoming PMs are disabled. Can't seem to send you the PMs you requested which is why I haven't responded. :)

I don't know why everytime someone writes about anything but the gp2x that this whole "versus" thread takes off. I would like nothing more than something to come along that beats the tar out of the gp2x b/c I'd go get whatever that is!

I don't care who makes the device.

Fat Agnus posted on Dec 20 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
I don't know why everytime someone writes about anything but the gp2x that this whole "versus" thread takes off. I would like nothing more than something to come along that beats the tar out of the gp2x b/c I'd go get whatever that is!

I don't care who makes the device.
Agreed, but it's not just the GP2X fanatics; it's just as much the fault of the GPH-hating Gamepark fans. It's really silly, in my opinion. They're two (okay 3.. maybe 4) consoles that do basically the same thing. Then again, from all I've heard about the rift between GPH and Gamepark, that seemed pretty petty, as well. :rolleyes:

Wondering why the XGP release hasn't happened and finding dead links for such things as the VRENDER-3D devkit on MES Digital's web site, I suspected that their chip might be involved in XGP's delay. So, I emailed their sales department to ask when the chip would be in full production. The email (which was sent to the address on their web page) bounced. Not a good sign?

MES or Gameparks email addy?

Either way, that's an interesting sign... can the GP2X continue production without MagicEyes?

Back