My Loyalty Under Fire.

BTW: AFAIK GamePark abandoned the XGP for now and only want to release the XGP Kids... which is crap, as it's a GP32 with lower screen resolution (which doesn't make sense).
Where did you get this information? from Gamepark?
Wherever it came from, it isn't true... possibly a misinterpretation. GamePark's never said anything of the sort to me nor in any of the e-mails posted here.
that's what I thought. But I just wanted to make sure if what EvilDragon has said were true and came from GP. Otherwise, he is spreading a false rumor (or prediction if you prefer) of the company in intention of defamation.

Last edited by a moderator:
epitaph posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
Epicenter: you seem to have yet to understand the most vital rule of discussion -- NEVER insult your opponent or any object of discussion related to him/her. Try approaching the matter with more professionalism and less arrogance. When you go about proving your point like you do, people will feel threatened rather than inclined to listen, which'll result in them instinctively disregarding you.

I used to think you were one of the great posters on this board - I loved reading your technical introspectives - but as of late I've come to regard you as biased and much less interesting.

I'd just like to comment on this point. You do know that this is fallacious (specifically: style-over-substance) reasoning, right? Tone has no bearing on fact (e.g. "You worthless whoreson bastard, the Earth revolves around the Sun!").

... and have I ever said that it does? No sir, I don't think so. The facts, no matter the way you present them, are still the same and therein lies part of my argument. While emotional baggage such as arrogance does not change fact, it bears no relevance and should discarded.

... or DaveC's incessant rantings about how emulation at anything but exactly a system's native resolution is inherently worthless, etc. When arguing with someone whose opinion is shaped by NO external influence it becomes quite difficult to maintain a scholarly tone.

That is because there is no argument. The facts are that scaling up and especially down look like shit on an LCD and look worse than 1:1. This is true whether you want to believe it or not.

I'm afraid I have to side with DaveC here... losing pixels in many cases means losing readable text. Now I know that some people are willing to play through import games that are entirely in Japanese that they don't understand anyway, but I am not one of those people ;) This isn't an opinion shaped by no external influence, it is a fact that missing pixels will often mean unreadable text, which means that the game is not nearly as enjoyable to me at least.

But that is not to say that the GPkids won't be good for other things. I just think that for emulation and even for some GP32 ports that need the entire screen it won't be any good.

... or DaveC's incessant rantings about how emulation at anything but exactly a system's native resolution is inherently worthless, etc. When arguing with someone whose opinion is shaped by NO external influence it becomes quite difficult to maintain a scholarly tone.

That is because there is no argument. The facts are that scaling up and especially down look like shit on an LCD and look worse than 1:1. This is true whether you want to believe it or not.
The fact is that it doesn't look as good, and that if you scale DOWN you lose image information. However, your belief that anything not displayed 1:1 possesses no worth whatsoever is not a 'fact', it is an opinion. I care about the gameplay primarily, not the graphics, of most games I emulate, and I'm not terribly concerned if the image quality is 'imperfect' because emulation is imperfect and will always be that way. "Looks like shit" will never be a 'fact', it's an opinion. Get off the horse you rode in on.

DaveC, you seem to be confusing two points:
1. Scaling affects an images quality
2. ...to the point where the new image is useless.

We agree with the first (and it is perhaps a fact), whereas the second is your opinion, and we do not agree with it.

Does legibility of Japanese text go up or down when you scale anything not (whole number):(same number)?
I imagine the exact same results as with English characters, they won't be as high quality unless you are going to a direct multiple of the screen resolution. Honestly, with the convenient methods of scaling I've used in some emulators, e.g. for GBA to flip between scaled/scrolling modes in a flash, it just doesn't really bother me. And done right with an acceptable filter and maintaining aspect ratio, the text can be made perfectly readable, too. It's not the exact same as the original though, which is why DaveC slanders that concept as well.

Does legibility of Japanese text go up or down when you scale anything not (whole number):(same number)?
I imagine the exact same results as with English characters, they won't be as high quality unless you are going to a direct multiple of the screen resolution. Honestly, with the convenient methods of scaling I've used in some emulators, e.g. for GBA to flip between scaled/scrolling modes in a flash, it just doesn't really bother me. And done right with an acceptable filter and maintaining aspect ratio, the text can be made perfectly readable, too. It's not the exact same as the original though, which is why DaveC slanders that concept as well.

It was supposed to be a sarcastic remark (with the answer down).

DaveC, you seem to be confusing two points:
1. Scaling affects an images quality
2. ...to the point where the new image is useless.

We agree with the first (and it is perhaps a fact), whereas the second is your opinion, and we do not agree with it.

But no where do I say "...to the point where the new image is useless" ;)

I say it looks like shit. Looking like shit doesn't mean "useless". I guess that is an opinion. But what is a fact is that a scaled down image looks worse than one with all of the pixels.

But no where do I say "...to the point where the new image is useless" ;)

I say it looks like shit. Looking like shit doesn't mean "useless". I guess that is an opinion. But what is a fact is that a scaled down image looks worse than one with all of the pixels.
You certainly imply that unless you had an unscaled (or an even-scaled) image, you wouldn't use the emulator.

Whether that's true or not, you are entitled to your opinion of how much scaling is too much, just as long as you stop trying to impose that opinion on other people, and accept that to some people it doesn't "look like shit" ;)

PS: "a scaled down image looks worse" is still technically an opinion (although one I imagine most would agree with) as "worse" is subjective.
If you said something like "a scaled down image will have less detail", that would be a fact.
Sorry for being pedantic :p

Can't we all just agree that the XGP may or may not be released, it may or may not kick ass, and that we'll just have to wait and see for now? 0.o
Where is the fun in that? :) I love a good debate.

At any rate, since I'm discussing what the design of the machines should actually be like with GP, I can't look at it very passively. I'd rather do my best to steer them down the path that will result in the best possible machine, since I will be developing heavily for it.

Can't we all just agree that the XGP may or may not be released, it may or may not kick ass, and that we'll just have to wait and see for now? 0.o
Where is the fun in that? :) I love a good debate.

At any rate, since I'm discussing what the design of the machines should actually be like with GP, I can't look at it very passively. I'd rather do my best to steer them down the path that will result in the best possible machine, since I will be developing heavily for it.

Please suggest them about my battery holder idea... =D

Please suggest them about my battery holder idea... =D
I don't recall it exactly. Wasn't it for a AA holder that would fit in where the LiIon battery did? .. Honestly, I've never seen a LiIon pack in a portable device that was in that size and shape, I don't really see them cramming it into the machine.. I suppose room could be made for it, I'll bring it up. I just would not count on it happening. If GP uses a quality, high-current LiIon pack that is an off-the-shelf part replacement won't be an issue, and if they use a high-quality SoC that matches ARM power saving reference standards, e.g. from Samsung, TI etc. battery life should be much better than the GP2X exhibits. The GP2X's MP2520F only draws so much power because its power-saving features are close to worthless, its core voltage is way too high, and it uses old, power-hungry SDRAM (not even Mobile SDRAM.) GP's already stated a willingness to use MobileDDR from the very start, which is lower-power, yet much faster.

No AA batteries! Gamepark has said that replacing the rechargeable will be simple, and it will use standard batteries you can purchase at any hardware store. And anyway, there's no way AAs could fit inside the XGP mini.

Back