My Loyalty Under Fire.

jaysalmon3

Still Fresh
I love the GP2X, however as we all know it has idiosyncrasies that we’ll all have to live with. I want to buy this 275 MHz GP2X but its still not quite what I want; still has problems. You think this XGP will have problems similar to the GP2X like broken USB cables (WTF was that GPH!), and buggy firmware. If you all don’t think so I’ll wait patently for this device otherwise Ill go for a Zarus or something. Thanks
-Malic

No one knows anything about the XGP, the very idea that it will come out ever is purely speculative (though I personally believe they eventually will push a product out). Very likely it will also have it's share of problems, but it may be faster and/or have hardware 3D capabilities. In the end, it depends whether you are willing to wait for the XGP to come out, since no real reliable release date has been set.

Exactly as mudi said. Will they be more powerful and more capable? Definitely yes. More stable? Completely unknown. Personally, I wouldn't count on everything going flawless.

After all, I did receive both a defective PSP and DS (both were new), and these were from multimillion dollar companies. My GP2X, on the other hand, I've yet to have issue with.

Think about this: the PSP doesn't even come with a USB cable. ;)

Given GP's dedication to making their systems as flaw-free as possible prior to release, something GPH did not even begin to concern themselves with (Craig told me they made a prototype, it had problems, but they couldn't afford to make another so they mass-produced their fucked-up one to make the first editions, using presale money) ... I'm inclined to believe GP will make a more reliable and stable handheld. That may take a while, but I'm OK with waiting if the end result is better. We at least know the system will be more powerful than the GP2X is and won't use that abomination of a stick, for starters.

At any rate I don't feel buyers of and developers for a handheld should be 'loyalists' to a cause. They should be consumers who buy the product they need with the money they have, or if they don't approve of the product they don't buy it. After all we are consumers-- not subscribers to a religion. This is why I'm so offended by the outrageous GP2X fanboyism from users of this forum who are being kicked in the sack by GPH over and over and just saying, "Thank you sir! May I have another?" Rather than doing what a real consumer should and force change by not buying broken products.

I really don't understand. :blink: I am having a great time with my GP2X and with no issues what-so-ever. It is my favorite gaming system and it totally dominates my gaming time and experience! I now own around 20 portable handheld gaming systems and I consider the GP2X the cream of the crop. And I like all of those handheld systems. I really don't understand why people get on here and rant that they don't like the GP2X. Please decide what it is that you really want to do and play, get that system and then get on their forum and tell them that you don't like the GP2X. This is really, I think, a support site for the GP2X and how to get the most for that system. Every system has its limits.
There is really no perfect system out there. Yes everyone wants a portable system that you are able to put into your pocket that has a very large 5" flawless TFT bright color screen. *eyeballs burn with sensory overload* With a powerful 3 ghz CPU, 3D accelerated graphics, 1 gig ddr mem, and 40 hours of battery life built around an SD card with a built in 40 gig HD the size of a quarter. :huh: It will probably still have problem, the plastic shell will be the wrong color. (probably silver with chrome buttons) There is no doubt a system out there somewhere being planned that is even more powerful than the PSP. Enjoy what's here and now. You will have to wait for those things that are coming.
Back in the days of the Atari Lynx, we were just happy that we were able to carry around a gaming system and we didn't care how big it was. Gamers have become so demanding. I think we forget what it is all about. It is about the games. And when it comes to the GP2X, its homebrew and retro!
*rant over* :)

Holy goddamn, take your own advice and get off the XGP forum if you love the GP2X so much. Do you realize how transparently hypocritical what you just wrote is?

It is about the games. And when it comes to the GP2X, its homebrew and retro!
What are you talking about? What do you think the XGP is for, making casseroles? It's for playing games, homebrew primarily and also emulation, and potentially also media playback duties like the GP2X handles. I personally just want to develop for a system that isn't partially brain-damaged and dripping with design faults. I'm not driven by any sort of opposition to homebrew or retro games.

Also, believe it or not, the GP2X is a limited machine and better technology PERMITS the development of better games to support YOUR viewpoint. If the GP2X's anemic 2D subsystem, broken SD-DMA, useless stick and other problems weren't there it'd be much easier to build more immersive and intense original games and to emulate more of my and your favorite classics. I'm not going to wait for GPH to come to their senses and make another terrible attempt at a game system, though. I'm going to look forward to GP doing what GPH should've done to begin with.

Didn't I just say that every system has its limits? Yes the GP2X has limits. That is not going to stop me from having fun with it and enjoying the gaming on it. And I think I did address the fact that somewhere out there there are better systems in the making. Each generation of systems has its limits. And there is always going to be a better system in the making. Maybe I got a faulty unit? Where the joy stick is OK. But I have no problem with the joy stick. And I have had no problem with the build quality. Right now the XGP is no more than vaporware. The GP2X is here in our hands. And I am going to enjoy it. I don't think that expresses any fanboyism. I am playing retro systems and homebrew, if there is any fanboyism, it is with those games and retro systems. There is only, what, two actual games out for the GP2X? If that was all there was to the GP2X, I would not even care to have it. It is the programmers that have given their time and dedication to the GP2X that has made it what it is. For the limits that the system has, they have did some pretty amazing things with it. IMO
And by the way I had no idea it was in the XGP forums, I just saw the thread on the site's front page and responded.

And I am sure that if the XGP is ever released and I see that it would be a good system to own, it will find its way into my hands. And if it is a homebrew and retro system, it will be the programmers that will make that system great.

Is it possible for you to accept that not everyone likes the GP2X? I'm growing to hate it more and more by the day, personally, and as the OP stated, he is running into problems that are making HIM question the value of the system. Barging into a thread about the potential of the XGP systems just to spout how wonderful the GP2X is, is basically trolling. It's not the matter at hand. This forum is to discuss upcoming hardware from Gamepark, news and more recently, the hardware we'd like to see in these systems. It is not a forum to discuss how the XGP series is a sin against the GP2X, Gift from Jesus Himself Unto the World, and should never be produced.

If you love the GP2X so much why does it concern you what others think about it, and what systems they are looking forward to? Go play your GP2X and stop causing trouble.

I think the XGP will definitely be a more powerful system, and will probably have less issues, but I rather doubt it will be completely without issues.

Epicenter:
We know GPH made mistakes.
We know the gp2x has faults.
We know the XGP could easily surpass the gp2x.
What point are you trying to make?

The gp2x still has full speed megadrive, nearing full speed SNES, occasionally playable PSX... as darkman said: the developers have made it great. :)

Most of the people who you call "gp2x fanboys" will probably buy an XGP/XGPmini, and will enjoy it, even DaveC will probably get an XGPmini. (Perhaps an XGP, just so he can tell everyone the screen sucks :p)

But, the gp2x is available now, it already has great software, and no matter how much better the XGP is, that software won't go away.

*backing away*

Anywho, buy what you want now, you can always sell it when something fancier comes around. Hoping not to start a rumor that will get out of hand here, but a swedish reseller of GP2X has put a price on the XGP and XGP Mini of 2.995,00 sekr (299 euro) and 1.495,00 sekr (149 euro) eventhough they are not currently for sale.Not sure that helps your decision or not, nut it sure makes me think.

Epicenter posted on Oct 29 2006 at 07:24 AM said:
What are you talking about? What do you think the XGP is for, making casseroles?

BEST REPLY EVER!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Epicenter posted on Oct 29 2006 at 07:41 AM said:
Given GP's dedication to making their systems as flaw-free as possible prior to release, something GPH did not even begin to concern themselves with (Craig told me they made a prototype, it had problems, but they couldn't afford to make another so they mass-produced their fucked-up one to make the first editions, using presale money) ... I'm inclined to believe GP will make a more reliable and stable handheld. That may take a while, but I'm OK with waiting if the end result is better. We at least know the system will be more powerful than the GP2X is and won't use that abomination of a stick, for starters.

At any rate I don't feel buyers of and developers for a handheld should be 'loyalists' to a cause. They should be consumers who buy the product they need with the money they have, or if they don't approve of the product they don't buy it. After all we are consumers-- not subscribers to a religion. This is why I'm so offended by the outrageous GP2X fanboyism from users of this forum who are being kicked in the sack by GPH over and over and just saying, "Thank you sir! May I have another?" Rather than doing what a real consumer should and force change by not buying broken products.
Epicenter posted on Oct 29 2006 at 11:56 AM said:
Barging into a thread about the potential of the XGP systems just to spout how wonderful slag off the GP2X is, is basically trolling.

Hehehe, i'm back from Seoul, and I love that the XGP fantasy console promotion continues! It will be THE BEST CONSOLE THAT NEVER EXISTED.

Aninhumer posted on Oct 29 2006 at 11:33 AM said:
Most of the people who you call "gp2x fanboys" will probably buy an XGP/XGPmini, and will enjoy it, even DaveC will probably get an XGPmini. (Perhaps an XGP, just so he can tell everyone the screen sucks :p)

But, the gp2x is available now, it already has great software, and no matter how much better the XGP is, that software won't go away.

I would only get the XGP as a last resort, but never a mini. The screen is WAY too small in the mini for me.

I would get an XGP only if all developers instantly dump the GP2X and go exclusively to the XGP. Otherwise I already have a 3D capable, widescreen, custom battery portable. It is called a PSP.

Whoops I forgot DaveC's small screen thing. :p

The devs don't have to stop work on gp2x projects, thanks to the magic of libraries.
But nevertheless, I suspect you might get one anyway, as it would most likely be the upgrade path from the gp2x.

craigix posted on Oct 29 2006 at 09:12 AM said:
Hehehe at i'm back from Seoul at and I love that the XGP fantasy console promotion continues! It will be THE BEST CONSOLE THAT NEVER EXISTED.
Stop with your propaganda. I remember you used to give us false promises during the earlier days of the GP2X ("There will be a lot of commercial games coming out in March"). What is it that you despise of the XGP's?

Back