My Gp2x Broken?

roflcopter

Still Fresh
hey guys - i put the internet emulator and launched it and nothing happened but a black screen. ok - so i go to the main gp2x menu and shut it off. i wait a couple of seconds and turn it on - nothing on my sd memory card even though my computer reads it fine in fat32 format. so i bought a new 2 gig toshiba sd memory card and reformat it. out an mp3 on it to test it out. but when i try to open the "sd memory" theres nothing there. YES, I HAVE CHANGED THE BATTERIES!!! also - my NAND memory isn't recognized on my computer nor the sd card in usb mode. and it recognizes my sd from an sd loader. please help - could i exchange my gp2x for another one?
-thanks
danny

"so i bought a new 2 gig toshiba sd memory card and reformat it."

... did you format this card as FAT32 in a card reader? The USB functionality is quirky on the '2X ... also, what FW are you running? You may have to downgrade to 2.0.0 > 2.1.0 > 2.1.1 ... just a suggestion.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 19 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
"so i bought a new 2 gig toshiba sd memory card and reformat it."

... did you format this card as FAT32 in a card reader? The USB functionality is quirky on the '2X ... also, what FW are you running? You may have to downgrade to 2.0.0 > 2.1.0 > 2.1.1 ... just a suggestion.

yes and im using 2.1.1

Last edited by a moderator:
so it reads nothing?
How about a go at downgrading then upgrading the FW, it's worth a shot, eh? At least you'll know if the unit is reading your SD card

icant - it wont - my comp doesnt read the nand or my gp2x doesnt read sd - no way to downgrade to firmware - the only solution i know is to send it back to korea :)

I suggest you try another USB cable as the ones that come with the GP2X are often faulty. Then you should be able to access the SD.

ooh - ill ltry it

still doesn't work

but i can read the sd but only from my computer - its my gp2x that doesn't read it. an when i try accessing my NAND memory - my gp2x freezes for a about 10 seconds

Try a different computer. Windows XP MCE has never cooperated with my GP2X on my laptop. I can boot into Ubuntu linux on the laptop and it works fine. It also works in all the other machines in the house (except my sisters laptop, which is identical).

What happened to you is really weird. You can't access anything on the SD from the GP2X?

Rarely (there was one bad batch), the pins in the SD holder get bent. That might be it.

all of my computers are windows xp - and its always worked fine before - until recently my gp2x stopped working.

Blah posted on Mar 19 2007 at 10:09 PM said:
Try a different computer. Windows XP MCE has never cooperated with my GP2X on my laptop. I can boot into Ubuntu linux on the laptop and it works fine. It also works in all the other machines in the house (except my sisters laptop, which is identical).

What happened to you is really weird. You can't access anything on the SD from the GP2X?

Rarely (there was one bad batch), the pins in the SD holder get bent. That might be it.

no - it couldnt have because its been working for a month and recently just stopped reading the sd

I'm sorry for repeating myself here, but have you tried to get a FW update to work, by installing it on the SD card (you did say you have a card reader, yes ?), inserting it in the SD Card slot on the gp2x, then turning it on while holding down start & select?

I'm really curious to see if this would work for you :)

What Telco is saying makes sense.

The firmware might be messed up. But the firmware doesn't have to be able to access the SD card to do a firmware update. The firmware update is started by the bootloader, before the firmware has a chance to load.

You have to start with FW 2.0 again though. Be sure to use fresh batteries, or even better, a AC adapter.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might just be best to try and return it first :)

roflcopter posted on Mar 19 2007 at 07:13 PM said:
Blah posted on Mar 19 2007 at 10:09 PM said:
no - it couldnt have because its been working for a month and recently just stopped reading the sd

I'd check those pins anyway. They can get bent after repeated SD insertion because they're so thin. Look down the slot with a little torch, all the pins should look the same, with a bend in them but the tips even with each other.

My unit was one of the batch (Xmas 06) with potentially faulty pins and I'm very very careful when inserting my SD, in fact I check the pins every time I have the card out.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Back