Installing Games

Geraldo1976

Still Fresh
I just bought a GP2x over the weekend. However I am having difficulty transferring downloaded games from my pc to my SD memory card. When I put the memory card into the car reader it shows the files are on the memory card but when I put the memory card into the GP2x there is no sign of the games.

Please help

Are you unmounting the SD card before removing it from the GP2X? I seem to recall that if you don't, it won't detect new files on it.

Also, if you have multiple partitions on the SD card, those might be causing trouble.

Capn_Fish said:
Are you unmounting the SD card before removing it from the GP2X? I seem to recall that if you don't, it won't detect new files on it.

Also, if you have multiple partitions on the SD card, those might be causing trouble.
Thanks for you response

I bought a brand new SD card. So there was nothing on it except for the files I downloaded such as Mame 5.1 etc . I copied the files to my sd card via a card reader as well as via the GP2x however although they appear on the SD card they are not appearing on the GP2x game file. I think the Mame file was a rar file do I need to do anything like compress/zip the file before I copy it to the GP2x ? I also copied a spectrum file which was already compressed/zipped but cant seem to get that on the GP2x either.
Sorry if i sound thick but What do you mean by unmounting the sd card ?

Last edited by a moderator:
All GP2X software is packaged in an archive for download convenience, so yes of course you have to extract it before you can use it.

Be sure to also read the readme.txt files most software come with, some programs need to be installed in specific folders, though most are fine to drop anywhere in the game folder.

Geraldo1976 said:
No problem. It roughly means clicking the "safely remove hardware" system tray icon in Windows, or right clicking and saying "Eject" on the device on the desktop in Gnome/KDE(?), or just running "umount /dev/SDCARDDEVICE" in Linux. I have no clue what to do in MacOS.

Capn_Fish said:
Geraldo1976 said:
No problem. It roughly means clicking the "safely remove hardware" system tray icon in Windows, or right clicking and saying "Eject" on the device on the desktop in Gnome/KDE(?), or just running "umount /dev/SDCARDDEVICE" in Linux. I have no clue what to do in MacOS.

In MacOS, you grab the SD card from your desktop and drop it in the Trash Can on the dock, which turns into an eject symbol :)

Make sure the card is formatted properly in a format the gp2x can actually work with. If windows/OSX can read/write onto the card and the gp2x can't then that might be a thing to look at.

Back