Mupen64 Will It Have....

Shock-Socks said:
Exophase said:
Ocarina of Time is a 20fps game (NTSC version), not 30fps.

Ocarina of Time is a 60 fps game. what are you talking about?

it definitely does not runs at 60 FPS, get your N64 and OOT cart out and check it for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephane Hockenhull said:
Shock-Socks said:
Exophase said:

Ocarina of Time is a 60 fps game. what are you talking about?

it definitely does not runs at 60 FPS, get your N64 and OOT cart out and check it for yourself.

my bad, i've got my brain stuck on gamecube emulation. twilight princess runs at 60 fps while windwaker is at 30. sorry about that

I've got another question:

More probably about the ROM rather than the Emulator.

Goldeneye runs like a dog on my computer (2-8fps), yet Turok 2 (much heavier on graphics and uses the expansion pack)
is running at 56-60fps.

The games are pretty much the same setup and style. Is there something different inside? Is that "TLB" (which I have no idea what that even is) something to di with it? Maybe GE and PD (Rare games) have this in the games and the rest of the shooters do not (Activision make Turok series).
Even Resident Evil 2 runs full speed, except you can not see your character.

Goldeneye was made by Rare. Who pushed the N64 to its limits using custom uCodes
glN64 has support for the Perfect Dark and GoldenEye ucodes. It doesn't support Conkers Bad Fur Day though.

EDIT: While I'm here... Ari64, I hope you don't mind me asking, but does Star Fox 64 run ok, by any chance?
Starfox 64 is one of the better running games. Currently the training mission is about 12-15 fps@500mhz and 20-25 fps@850mhz with no frameskip. Games without many textures seem to have the best performance. Its a pity our sgx driver always converts to a swizzled format, i suspect this is a bottleneck for Mario Kart 64.

kingoddball said:
Goldeneye runs like a dog on my computer (2-8fps), yet Turok 2 (much heavier on graphics and uses the expansion pack)
is running at 56-60fps.

The games are pretty much the same setup and style. Is there something different inside? Is that "TLB" (which I have no idea what that even is) something to di with it? Maybe GE and PD (Rare games) have this in the games and the rest of the shooters do not (Activision make Turok series).
Even Resident Evil 2 runs full speed, except you can not see your character.
Yes, it's probably the TLB. If I remember correctly, the TLB is part of the hardware memory management, which means every memory access (Protip: computers access memory a lot) has to go through the TLB. It will slow down an emulator massively.

That sucks.

Do you know how or does anyone know how to address this problem?
How can it be fixed?
This is more just for my curiosity.

Please understand that I know NOTHING about emulation (or software programming).

But how is this rectified on normal X86 emu progs?
Do they just make the Emu/Rom think the TLB is in the RAM or CPU Cache or something?
If the TLB is killing games due to being slow, could routing the code "hardware" to the CPU cache be fast enough to fix it up?
Sorry for my ignorence, I'm just trying to learn new things.

On my Mac I instlled Mupen64Plus this morning. At work I'm actually running Project64 1.7 :ph34r:
I might swap it for Mupen later today.

kingoddball said:
Please understand that I know NOTHING about emulation (or software programming).

But how is this rectified on normal X86 emu progs?
Do they just make the Emu/Rom think the TLB is in the RAM or CPU Cache or something?
If the TLB is killing games due to being slow, could routing the code "hardware" to the CPU cache be fast enough to fix it up?
Sorry for my ignorence, I'm just trying to learn new things.
No, you can't "route" to hardware because the host comptuer's cache is being used entirely by the host computer. x86 computers do not have little hardware switches for "set aside some memory here to emulate MIPS", etc.

Please don't double post. If you have two things to say, just edit your previous post and append it.

Edit: Oh, and you asked about x86 emulators. What they usually do in x86 emulators is rely on the fucking freight train of power that is modern x86 CPUs. They have a lot more head room for inefficiency than the Pandora does.

lulzfish said:
Edit: Oh, and you asked about x86 emulators. What they usually do in x86 emulators is rely on the fucking freight train of power that is modern x86 CPUs. They have a lot more head room for inefficiency than the Pandora does.
Although what interests me is what they'll do to emulate current generation machines (360 / PS3) in the future, as PCs aren't going to increase their clocks much anymore and everything's going to end up multi-core. Seems like it'll be hard to utilize that power and keep everything synchronized.
Although maybe 360/PS3 can just be HLE'd anyway?

What is HLE?

Also, Why could they not emulate newest gen consoles with multi core?
OSX has Grand Central Dispatch which allocates code to which proc etc etc.
With new triple SLI and all the new fandangled tech like i7 and 6-16 core coming within the next few years.. Dude.. Seems more than possible!

HLE is High level Emulation, and it's not like there is a simple switch to flip to make it possible.

Exophase said:
Is there a way to make Ocarina of Time render at 30, 40 or even 60fps with an emulator?

Because for example Lotus III was a bit choppy on a standard Amiga 500 (~20 fps or so - depending on the scenario), but with JIT enabled it runs super-smooth at 50fps under WinUAE.

P.S. Can't believe a 17 fps-game (I had the PAL-version of OoT) became my favorite videogame ever... ;)

john4p said:
Is there a way to make Ocarina of Time render at 30, 40 or even 60fps with an emulator?
uh... if you run a 20fps game at 40fps, it will be going twice as fast as it should. While there are times I wouldn't mind fast forwarding through stuff, I don't think this is a good idea for normal play.

Think his point was, there's times when if you could run it faster than the original hardware it can be smoother.
Not trying to run the game itself at twice the speed.
Bit like running a pc game on a faster pc. I know it's not identical situation, trying to explain his point.

Hmm... Is there any chance of per-rom settings? Including controls? It'd be a bitch to switch around controls for every game you play. For example, in Turok you may set it up to play as you would expect, with both analogue nubs for movement/aiming, but it another game that might make it hard to control.

We only have mupen64plus running without any hardcoded Pandora-related stuff in it. All default plugins should still work if they don't depend on PC or x86 hardware. If there is an input plugin which can use joystick devices and save per game you are good to go if its open-source.
Its a simple matter of recompiling then.
On the other hand, I wrote my ppsp_input driver in only a few hours (including stupid bugfixing) and it works fine for testing - I assume it wouldn't be too hard to add custom mapping to it, but its hardcoded for Pandora-Controls and won't work with any other joystick device.
Its much better to switch to plugins using normal joystick devices like I said before. Then use my pandora-joystick-driver to turn the Pandora controls into one of those uinput joystick devices.

Back