Fortune - Will We Have It In The Base Os?

Prometheus

I'm just wondering if the program fortune will be included with the Pandora by default?

For those unfamiliar with fortune, it's a small program that displays random quotes and messages, such as this gem (behind a spoiler tag because it's a long-ish quote);
A Tale of Two Cities LITE(tm)
-- by Charles Dickens

A man in love with a girl who loves another man who looks just
like him has his head chopped off in France because of a mean
lady who knits.

Crime and Punishment LITE(tm)
-- by Fyodor Dostoevski

A man sends a nasty letter to a pawnbroker, but later
feels guilty and apologizes.

The Odyssey LITE(tm)
-- by Homer

After working late, a valiant warrior gets lost on his way home.

The reason I ask is because the notion of a community-made fortune file occurred to me, and I thought that it might be a fun way of preserving some of the in-jokes and such that have cropped up during the wait for the system, in a way that's small and unobtrusive.

Even if fortune isn't included by default, does anyone want to contribute any witticisms for a fortune file anyway? If anyone does, please keep 'em civil, and just put them in quote or code tags (whichever is relevant) - that will make for easier compilation later.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to start with the obvious one, just to stop the thread from becoming flooded with it if anyone does want to add fortunes to it. :p

Code:
Two Months(tm)

EDIT: Just to add, anything relating to what the Pandora can do is fine to add too - it doesn't all have to be related to the forum. :p

I'm glad someone is stepping forward with the necessary foresight. Neglecting to include fortune might be the worst mistake the pandora team could make.

Zippy quotes are still relevant I say!

Somebody sigged a Cragix quote about "Vaporware twats", if I'm not mistaken. That sounds promising.

If they're going to ship it with fortune, might as well throw in cowsay too.
And a pony!

Prawn! HAHA! B)

If it does get added to the base OS (with a guide for how to access - Linux Dunce!!) is the quote list on the local machine, and editable?

I would love to find some random lists of crap online and add it and add a hell of a lot of dirty funny ass jokes!

There's too much injokes and interesting comments from the OpenPandora Team, it could be made a very lenghtly file for the fortune command if doing a depth research.

I would suggest adding a file for "did you know?" phrases but not as retarded as the typical Microsoft ones on one file, other about jokes and other about interesting phrases.

The ideal thing could be show a Wizard app at boot time for easy configuring. There you will can choose your timezone (and get it from internet if available), configure internet connection (even over USB ethernet or bluetooth), choose preferred language, game button layout, default interface, default processor clock... and fortunes.

About fortune, I think it could be very interesting to mix it with a notification system for OpenPandora. This way the user is able to see news about Pandora in an easy way. I don't know how this can be done, but it just would require to download a file (for example, when updating PND files automatically or find for updates in general) or using RSS and storing it locally.

I think Fortune should be enabled by default but with a unobstrusive interface. The fortune could be showed at boot time with easy to read letters, not need to click a button but disappear after some seconds automatically. It can be show little at boot time while the whole OS loads for example, you can show it after the Pandora logo or show both the Pandora logo and a nice quote.

About funny stuff, we need ddate and other commands I don't remember right now.

Well, our standard XFCE4 does have Tips of the Day installed, so this could very well be used for such things.

Hi ED,
Can the 'tips' be modified?
I'd like useless information and jokes as well :D I like to chuckle.

Hmm, recently someone said something like "I'm a pandora, touch my nubs" though that might not be exactly it, but I'm too lazy to search for it. I remember laughing, though.

EvilDragon said:
Well, our standard XFCE4 does have Tips of the Day installed, so this could very well be used for such things.
Sounds good. :D Thanks for the info, ED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know? This device can be used for something not entirely unlike work! Don't let your kernel panic, have some tea from cup 42. - Jourdan Cameron

For those of you who don't get it
It was a joke from a Douglas Adams book. Still don't get it?
pangalacticdora.jpg

Aethix said:
Somebody sigged a Cragix quote about "Vaporware twats", if I'm not mistaken. That sounds promising.
Hello B)

Anyways, It would be funny to have a program like that. And as ED mentioned, the Pandora's standard XFCE4 does have Tips of the Day installed. So instead of the tip of the day, fhe funny Quote of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig's "vapourware twats" quote is in, and I'm thinking Chip's ancient one about the bus ride ought to be there too (assuming he doesn't mind). :lol:

I'll have to find out how the "tips" file has to be formatted, later (I don't normally use Xfce).

MDave said:
"Killing is not nice ... but sometimes we have to do it" - EvilDragon

:D

Nope, that was "Killing is not nice, but it works" :)

Last edited:
I verified it in the video before adding it - fear not, ED, you're not being misquoted! :lol:

Back