Mugen?

God Ginrai

Godmaster
Website
Visit site
Is that possible? I believe the project is no longer Windows-based but now Linux-based, so maybe that could be ported.

Is it the 2D fighting engine u mean or a different Mugen?
Here's a Link to the open source version but it's only in pre-Alpha so far :(
Stumbled across this a couple of months ago. Looks like it could be damn good when finished.
Gotta luv StreetFighter 2 & the ability to build your own version would be sweet :D
How the hell would this work on the GP2X though?

It is a 2d Fighting engine, but THAT's not the right MUGEN.

It's EXTREMELY playable, I have a working version and there's HUNDREDS of Mugen groups with thousands of MUGEN chars, levels, and extras for download.

Lemme find you a link. here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

That's a Wikipedia article talking about the REAL thing, but according to it, it seems that MUGEN was actually closed-source. :/ But maybe we might still be able to find a way to get it working on the GP2X by poking around with the Linux version.

Right now I'm trying to see if the Linux version runs on the GP2X at all. (not trying to be able to play yet, seeing as how the controls probably wouldn't work yet)

Ah! cheers for the link.
When I stumbled across it the last time, I noticed the download had something like 1 character + 1 level. I never tried it out because I thought i'd leave it a little while until it was more complete & more stuff was included with the download lol.

The opensource version that I linked to is made with C++ & SDL. When that's finished it should be quite an easy port (i hope ;) ). What dependancies do u need to get the original Linux version to work, if any?
If they have the original Linux version already, a lot of the hardest work on the opensource version could be sorted out by comparing code anyway. Plus the SDL support on the new version could be an improvement on the original when porting to other systems.

Probably best to stick to the opensource version On the GP2X for legal reasons :(. Unless u fancy contacting Elecbyte to try & talk them into releasing a commercial version made just for the GP2X.
This might not be a bad idea if u think about it.. It could give the GP2X the killer app that every one is talking about & bring a lot more people into the community.
If there was a fully useable version I know i'd pay for it commercial or not.

Time to give the original version a try I think.

P.S. When I said how the "hell would this work on the GP2X though?", I thought u meant editing the games on the GP2X not just playing the already built one's. No offense meant :D .

No offense taken.

Anyways, Elecbyte disappeared from the face of the net much like Corn's author did. Also, that open source mugen doesn't seem to be progressing at all. From screenies, I'd say Mugen.NET (another open source MUGEN clone) is farther ahead. Also, by dependencies, do you mean Allegro and such? Because It was coded in C++ and Allegro on the same gcc that the GP2X uses, so I think there might be a way to get it to work with the Allegro libraries that are being made for the 2X.

Good luck to u then :)
Personaly I think the GP2X is perfect for the 2D fighter scene.
It's got enough power to run the games, the perfect amount of buttons for tons of combo's & one of the best button layouts ever. My original snes controller is still used on my pc today for fighting games & Mame.
Not to mention the fact that it's portable & could display the game direct to a tv (in the future anyway).

MUGEN is not longer under development, the developer, elecbyte can´t be contacted, and the "open source version is a clone and will need lots of work until it is enjoyable... so no gp2x port in the close future, but i hope for a Age of the Beast port. :)

MUGEN is not longer under development, the developer, elecbyte can´t be contacted,
I already knew that, but I thought maybe we'd get lucky and by some chance it would work without an edit.
and the "open source version is a clone and will need lots of work until it is enjoyable...
Yea, already told him that.
so no gp2x port in the close future, but i hope for a Age of the Beast port. :)
That might be true. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back