Mugen

somedude

Still Fresh
I know you get this all the time but why hasn't one of the mugen remake projects been ported to the gp2x or even the orginal. I know their is no soucre code but it was ported from linux to windows some how by the winmugen team. You would think that if tha can be done, then porting from linux to gp2x linux shouldn't be that bad. How exactly was the winmugen port done anyways? Just woundering about that too even though it's alittle off topic.

If theres no source code publicly available, then the windows team must be linked with the original team,
or might have just asked for it. If it's the latter, then it's possible they might be willing to share it with a gp2x developer.
But even if it is possible to port, it would probably still need optimizing.

I heard the winmugen team was a group of hackers that some how got the linux mugen running on windows and the fact that the source code was never released just makes me wonder how they did it. It would be weird if the winmugen team was in touch with elecbyte because from what I heard, they were mad at them for hacking their program, but at least it would mean someone is in touch with them. No one has heard anything from them for years.

BTW are you sure it would need optimizing, I mean just look at the system requirments in elecbyte's readme.

System requirements
-------------------
Minimum: Pentium 90
Recommended: Pentium 200

If gp2x can run cps2 games at full speed it seems like it could run mugen

There is a thing called reverse engineering... if you disassemble the code of an application you might be able to rewrite some parts in ASM/binary code. Thing is though, it is a mindboggingly hard thing to do and a lot of effort has to go into it to even make small changes.

This means that they had to hack the compiled code to get it to run under windows.

There is no way in hell though that you can change the code manually to run on an ARM cpu instead of X86. Noone can do that by hand. You need to have a compiler do that for you as the assembled code for each architecture is often very different.

I think the remakes haven't been ported because there is barely any open source engines and most require a rather steep amount of power to run. I think a lot are written to use OpenGL or Direct3D and while openGL is somewhat possible on the gp2x (in software mode and not HW accelerated) you can forget about Direct3D/DirectX dependant code. It's just too much hassle to be worth the effort.

EDIT: If you want an idea of how hard something like that is, take a look at the albion port for the gp2x. The guy who made it had to reverse engineer the original DOS code and as far as I remember it took him almost a year to get it running.

xnopasaranx said:
There is a thing called reverse engineering... if you disassemble the code of an application you might be able to rewrite some parts in ASM/binary code. Thing is though, it is a mindboggingly hard thing to do and a lot of effort has to go into it to even make small changes.

This means that they had to hack the compiled code to get it to run under windows.
There is no way in hell though that you can change the code manually to run on an ARM cpu instead of X86. Noone can do that by hand. You need to have a compiler do that for you as the assembled code for each architecture is often very different.

I think the remakes haven't been ported because there is barely any open source engines and most require a rather steep amount of power to run. I think a lot are written to use OpenGL or Direct3D and while openGL is somewhat possible on the gp2x (in software mode and not HW accelerated) you can forget about Direct3D/DirectX dependant code. It's just too much hassle to be worth the effort.

EDIT: If you want an idea of how hard something like that is, take a look at the albion port for the gp2x. The guy who made it had to reverse engineer the original DOS code and as far as I remember it took him almost a year to get it running.

Thankyou for the explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back