Mugen Using Linux In The Background

thelamer

ARRR I'm A Pirate
Website
www.skankpost.com
As for a port of mugen this method might make it possible . By running a lean linux build in the background you might be able to run MUGEN on the gp2x .

I only say this becasue I have been using This on my xbox fo a while and it worx great .

The only thing I see being a problem is the heavy cpu usage of running Opengl in software mode .

For those of you that dont know what mugen is .

LINKED

thelamer posted on Apr 9 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
Ravnos posted on Apr 9 2006 at 02:41 PM said:
There is a Linux build running in the background on the GP2X.

You know what I ment :angry:

Even if we make another Linux just for the GP2X, we still have to port and recompile it for that Linux build. It has to be ported, so basically you gotta get someone to port it to the GP2X either by using something like SDL libraries or make an interpreter for it.

I know what you meant. What I don't get is why you want another Linux for it. It's still the same amount of work either way to get MUGEN running.

Edit: Actually, I do know why. Intel processor does not equal ARM processor, if you want a program from one you have to port and recompile it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the gp2x is running linux . But to port mugen properly you need the source code , which happens to not be available.

If you got a stable popular build of linux running on the gp2x you could just run Mugen as an app on top of it . Just like you would on any linux pc . Much like they did with the xbox version by booting gentoox first then having mugen run automatically on startup .

This way you could run the precompiled version without needing the source code . And load any characters or levels that you needed .

Now you have all made it clear that I don't know what I am talking about , so can it be done ?

As for a port of mugen this method might make it possible . By running a lean linux build in the background you might be able to run MUGEN on the gp2x .

I only say this becasue I have been using This on my xbox fo a while and it worx great .

hmmm.can you explain me better how it woks?there's the readme but is all in french...
it says that i need linux on my xbox....WTF?

Solstar posted on Apr 10 2006 at 03:42 AM said:

hmmm.can you explain me better how it woks?there's the readme but is all in french...
it says that i need linux on my xbox....WTF?

Basically, it's going to be beyond your realm.... you have to either:

1: Mod your XBOX. That means opening it up and messing with the stuff inside. Soldering is recommended, but not required.

or 2: Do the Memory Card Exploit through a game and install Linux.

I have modded my XBOX before, now it's a paperweight =)

Basically, it's going to be beyond your realm.... you have to either:

1: Mod your XBOX. That means opening it up and messing with the stuff inside. Soldering is recommended, but not required.

or 2: Do the Memory Card Exploit through a game and install Linux.

I have modded my XBOX before, now it's a paperweight =)

don't worry is not "beyond my realm" :p i've got already a modded xbox and i've already started the program..it works perfectly on my xbox,the only thing i don't understand is why the characters i've added doesn't even pop up....only another KFM pop out...strange,since i've added also a lot of stages,and they works...

evill33t posted on Apr 11 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
there is an open source mugen version -
http://openmugen.sourceforge.net/
http://mugen-net.sourceforge.net/

and i would love to see an gp2x port indeed i would also donate money for anyone who ports it ^.^

regards

if open mugen ever gets anywhere then thats a possibility, its sdl and c++ only. mugen-net is likely to be usless as its .net based in c#

Back