Moderator Policies/abuse and things... Split from (The 'perfect' song?) thread

...I don't want to derail this thread here, but apparently the music thread that you're talking about ( http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/56-//URL] ) has been erased completely. I didn't use it, what happened?

The logic was that it was being abused by people pointlessly increasing their post count. However, I don't personally think deleting it was the right decision. It could be restored, depending on the outcome of the relevant mod discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I've already mentioned it in the CC.

Maybe, make a brand new music thread with a "2 posts max per member" limit (24 hour period) rule?

This won't dissuade the polluters, they will spam other thread as usual.
The post count per day statistics these last weeks were pathetic.

...I don't want to derail this thread here, but apparently the music thread that you're talking about ( http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/56-//URL] ) has been erased completely. I didn't use it, what happened?

The logic was that it was being abused by people pointlessly increasing their post count. However, I don't personally think deleting it was the right decision. It could be restored, depending on the outcome of the relevant mod discussion.
The handful of people that is out to increase their post count <snip> will spam the boards regardless of whether or not that thread exists. I would rather see a handful of threads that attract such spam than to see all other threads polluted with it.

...I don't want to derail this thread here, but apparently the music thread that you're tal last couple of monthsking about ( http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/56-//URL] ) has been erased completely. I didn't use it, what happened?

The logic was that it was being abused by people pointlessly increasing their post count. However, I don't personally think deleting it was moderation team should open a public the right decision. It could be restored, depending on the outcome of the relevant mod discussion.
...so what? Did it disturb the thread? Did you try talking to the people and establishing rules specific to that thread? I agree with you, making it impossible for every regular user on this forum ever to access this music mine on such a reasoning is a stupid decision.

This is not the first time that I've been quite unhappy with moderation measures in recent months, but the other incidents I just didn't agree with, whereas this is just absurd. I don't know whether it has gotten through to you, but I've actually spoken with another moderator before and said that I think that the moderation team should ask everyone for feedback on the moderation in a public thread, possibly at regular intervals. Especially for things such as this one here, why discuss it without the rest of the users? It just doesn't make sense.

Almost all of the Moderators thought this was a hasty decision to delete, however in most cases the deleted content can be restored without issues, but since this coincidentally happened along with the forum upgrade it complicated the situation and I'm unsure that it can be recovered without EvilDragon stepping in or if at all.

Almost all of the Moderators thought this was a hasty decision to delete

I am glad most moderators here are apparently sane ;) . What was this guy thinking? Closing a thread that was active for years and had a huge post count... 
Sometimes I revisited the thread to look up a link that was posted there so I would like to see it restored (closed or not)

Why delete a thread without spam anyway? You can close a thread and delete offensive or illegal content in the posts. That should be enough. IMO these powers should only be granted to an administrator (i.e. ED).

Well I'm sad for you guys that miss the thread...

And I've had my own altercations with the mods before... though in all honesty both times I was being a bit of a tool.

But personaly I miss that thread not a jot. I'm never interested in what other people are listening to anyway.

... though Klumpen has superb taste, and I really wish I had followed up on links he sent me ages ago because back then I was pretty distracted (and psycholocally a bit confused /distressed by existence in general)

So pay heed to anything Klumpen has to say regarding music.

... is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, and me... because I also have good taste.

I am glad most moderators here are apparently sane ;) . What was this guy thinking? Closing a thread that was active for years and had a huge post count... 
Sometimes I revisited the thread to look up a link that was posted there so I would like to see it restored (closed or not)

Why delete a thread without spam anyway? You can close a thread and delete offensive or illegal content in the posts. That should be enough. IMO these powers should only be granted to an administrator (i.e. ED).
I see no reason for removing moderator powers over an incident as this one. In general the moderators do a fine task of keeping these boards clean and orderly. It is obvious that they are discussing this themselves and I fully trust them to come up with a procedure to avoid such hasty decisions in the future.

<side-note>ARghhhhhh.... I want the plain-ascii post editor back, these quotes are annoying to handle</side-note>

Sometimes there are genuine spam threads that couldn't be averted via technical measures, other times threads have to be restructured (which erasing can be a part of), and so on. Moderators need and should have such abilities.

The point is that forum moderators, AS moderators, need to communicate WITH users, and not just AT users. If you're a moderator, understand that being considerate, consulting users, taking many different user views into account, will ultimately reduce your amount of work, too.

Sometimes there are genuine spam threads that couldn't be averted via technical measures, other times threads have to be restructured (which erasing can be a part of), and so on. Moderators need and should have such abilities.

I don't know what is  technically possible with setting of moderating rights - but deleting a post (that is not spam) should not be needed. I have seen before that folks criticized deleting of threads or posts so this is not an incident.

This forum doesn't need a lot of moderation - only if someone is trolling, using very offensive language or provides links to illegal sites. That doesn't happen a lot.
I don't even think splitting of threads is needed - who cares that a discussion derails. Start a new thread if it bothers you. In the music thread closing or deleting the thread was not needed, just a polite pm to two members to stop excessively posting should have been enough. So I agree that communication with users was key here.

Well, moderators are people, too. I would argue that limiting moderators' rights over such things would be dehumanizing in a way, and that it would be ignorant of what actually counts in such a situation, which is to allow and encourage people to be what in German is called eigenverantwortlich.

[...] who cares that a discussion derails. Start a new thread if it bothers you.

...but people don't. In those cases, moderators should split threads and/or encourage the starting of new threads, if only to show that starting a new thread is not a bad thing to do (in fact, usually the right thing to do, even if the new thread ends up in need of being relocated or such). Of course people are hesitating to do this themselves when threads and posts are closed and erased based on reasoning such as that they are "spammy" or "not serious", or with no reasoning provided at all.

There's only one moderator who isn't polite anyway.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not at all condemning you for saying what you think, but I really think that we shouldn't go into this territory.

Back