Modem not connecting

Snakedoc

Still Fresh
Today i wanted to use the modem for the first time. I removed the SIM from my phone and inserted it into the Pyra.
The Modem Manager GUI does not register automatically to a network and when i search for networks there is an "unknown" error.
Bildschirmfoto zu 2022-04-30 17-53-41.png

Any hints how this can be fixed?

I've bought the SIM without a phone and used it in three different phones. So there shouldn't be any lock.

Hmm, it's slightly unclear to me because my German isn't that good, but it looks like it errors out without even reporting anything. Can you test it without the sim inserted just to rule out the sim being at fault good and proper?

The translation of the error with sim is: "searching for Networks... (gdbus.error:eek:rg.freedesktop.modemmanager1.error.mobileequipment.unknown"
Without sim the error is like "The modem is not ready yet. Please wait while preparing the modem"

Hmm, logs.... I cannot say, that i am quite sure what i am doing. My Linux experience is rather low.
I got "something" with the commands from that link but i can only see "wlan".
Now the Modem Manager GUI reports "no device found in system". The "enable" and "start" did not change anything.

Attachments

• MM.txt
    28.3 KB · Views: 152
  • NM.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 162
The modem is something that we need to work on!
It seems that some got it to work - while others didn't get it to work.

Now that some users have their Pyra, we can gather some informations on what the issue could be. Keep an eye on the "General information and Bug Tracker" section within the next few days.

Any news about? I not found something in "Bug traker". I use an unlocked card. Works p&p with my Huawei LTE stick but not with the Pyra modem. I see an LTE connection but I can not connect.

To me it looks as if there is no Plugin for ModemManager that supports the P*S8 modems: https://www.freedesktop.org/softwar...ager/ref-overview-plugin-specific-modems.html
Each modem may have vendor specific commands to start/stop operation and this must be provided somehow.

Here seems to be a list of supported modems: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ModemManager/SupportedDevices/

A first step may be to lsusb the USB port and look if the VID/PID are supported.

Notes:
- the log files seem to indicate that ModemManager searches for the WiFi chip.
- powering on the modem requires an rfkill wwan unblock (which I have no idea if it is supported by ModemManager), so it may stay powered off

Last edited:
Mmm,.. is the internal modem an USB device?
My external LTE Surfstick is working without problems and the internal "buildin original modem" is not supported?
Can I check the driver?
On the other hand, I see a "vodafone LTE net", if I have a SIM internal plug in but I cannot use.

We had already confirmed that modem manager fully works with it ages ago.
Card in, everything works out of the box.
No need for any commands/ terminal foo, the network icon will just connect.
Showstopper: You need to actually throw the pyra on a celltower to get any reception.

Mmm,.. is the internal modem an USB device?
Yes. But it may need a device specific user-space driver that knows the specific AT commands. And how to turn it on/off. If turned off, it won't be found on USB.
If an external surf-stick works, it may just be because it is a different one that is supported by luck and it is powered as soon as it is plugged in.

It is turned off and I think it was my mistake. It was visible as I play around any days ago. I have untick the mobile connection in the network widget and since nothing is detected and available. If I do this with wireless I can tick it back...
Any ideas to get it back?

Sometimes I should think about first and then write ;-)

*sudo rfkill list all gives
0: WWAN: Wireless WAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no

*sudo rfkill unblock 0 set Soft blocked to no and "Mobiles Breitband" is back in network widget and I can activate but no connection at this time... network is searching.

The question is ... Why is "Mobiles Breitband" permanent disabled and the point disappeares from network widget if I untick but Bluetooth and WiFi reactivated after restart.

I remember turning it off and then having to turn it on again via rfkill or nmcli or something like that, can report on it later or see if I already mentioned it here.
I did get connections, sending text messages worked and some internet as well, but the connection was very flakey and really depended on where I was. It did work in a train so some towers connected better than others.
I must say this was in the nehterlands where normally the connection is very stable an more or less omnipresent.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe this thread will help: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/the-big-pyra-modem-thread.99466

Is like elw3 say...
I had a first contact via Vodafone but I was standing on the roof of a high-rise building in Berlin and the "celltower" was < 50m away as the crow flies. Optimal conditions but only two bars... :-(
From experiences with my LTE Stick... Problems with the power supply or with the antenna possible?
My Stick needs round about 500mA with a strong signal and up to 1,5A with nearly "no signal".
Does the built-in modem have an additional antenna connector? Looks like I need a screwdriver ;-)

Is like elw3 say...
I had a first contact via Vodafone but I was standing on the roof of a high-rise building in Berlin and the "celltower" was < 50m away as the crow flies. Optimal conditions but only two bars... :-(
From experiences with my LTE Stick... Problems with the power supply or with the antenna possible?
My Stick needs round about 500mA with a strong signal and up to 1,5A with nearly "no signal".
Does the built-in modem have an additional antenna connector? Looks like I need a screwdriver ;-)
Unfortunately not. The connector you'll find in there is simply the connector for the test equipment.

And that's still the weird thing: The antenna has been measured with professional equipment, so the hardware itself should be fine.
So I still guess there's something wrong with the driver / setup / whatever.

You can try LetuxOS which might work better, as that's the one hns uses. Aditionally, if his Pyra is just idling, the battery lasts around 14 hours. Something our OS doesn't do, so it seems there's a lot more going on in our OS setup that eats battery.
Maybe some component that's switched on does disturb reception as well?

The biggest problem with the Pyra is that we don't really have any dev like notaz who delves into such issues and fixes them :/

I think the only chance here is to actually contact customer support for it.

Back