Mmorts

hedwards said:
Mithrildor said:
Good job on reconizing parts of Travian in it.

I hated Travian because it was tough to play, you initiated an attack and it could take as long as a few hours to go through and it was tough to log in the middle of the night to make sure that supplies weren't being wasted.

It would be kind of interesting if there were some sort of time hole mechanic where it would take you only a couple of minutes to get over and do the fighting, but the units would age by a certain amount of time and be effectively unavailable for a certain amount of time while they recharge.
You could also have some sort of mechanic where troops left charging at a certain time were more likely to end up mutilated or dead as a means of keeping things in sync across the multiple players. Perhaps a sliding rollover of sorts based upon when they were used.

In the beginning travian is always hard. But thats with all games.

For timeholes: NO! This ruins a MMORTS , you can't prepare for a battle (yes you will get a message by one of your scouts (you always have them. An army is going towards your area.) This is going to be hard and we are going to need a map sytem for this. Small groups of units will only be visible on map nearby and the big armies will be visible from far away. Although small groups wil be seen as big groups in the beginning.
Although there could be wormholes going to other planets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:

For timeholes: NO! This ruins a MMORTS , you can't prepare for a battle (yes you will get a message by one of your scouts (you always have them. An army is going towards your area.) This is going to be hard and we are going to need a map sytem for this. Small groups of units will only be visible on map nearby and the big armies will be visible from far away. Although small groups wil be seen as big groups in the beginning.
So, it's fun to have to sit at the keyboard at random points during the day and night, hope to be able to log in at work and generally give up your life to a game? I'm sorry, but there's something that I just don't get.

The reason why this genre doesn't already exist is that only a very small number of unemployed people not in school also have access to a computer and internet connection. I'm not really sure how you could take that with the intersection of those that also like playing grand month long RTS campaigns and actually have anybody left to play with.

Of course this is your time and effort do with it as you see fit. But it's more than a little lame to start a combat and have to wait several hours for it to actually begin.

And no, all games do not require a person to log in obsessively to be even a bottom tiered player. Travian isn't hard it's ridiculously structured. Nethack is hard, this is just a study in OCD.

O fuck I cant get my freind to post his ideas, hes saying things like "i dunno if anyone cares" "they will take away all the things I want to be there". I will try to listen to what he says(his ideas not his whining). Also those conceptart pictures at deviantART is for a mmofps that excists in his head(if anyone was thinking something else).

hedwards said:
Mithrildor said:

So, it's fun to have to sit at the keyboard at random points during the day and night, hope to be able to log in at work and generally give up your life to a game? I'm sorry, but there's something that I just don't get.

The reason why this genre doesn't already exist is that only a very small number of unemployed people not in school also have access to a computer and internet connection. I'm not really sure how you could take that with the intersection of those that also like playing grand month long RTS campaigns and actually have anybody left to play with.

Of course this is your time and effort do with it as you see fit. But it's more than a little lame to start a combat and have to wait several hours for it to actually begin.

And no, all games do not require a person to log in obsessively to be even a bottom tiered player. Travian isn't hard it's ridiculously structured. Nethack is hard, this is just a study in OCD.

Logging in just for 5 minutes multiple times at a day, yes. But thats the ease of the pandora. You can get online in no secs. I don't care you dont like the idea. But try to add something that really works instead that makes a game annoying. Because with the timehole idea you need to be online 24/7. All MMOs take alot of time. Like it or don't like it.

Mithrildor said:
Logging in just for 5 minutes multiple times at a day, yes. But thats the ease of the pandora. You can get online in no secs. I don't care you dont like the idea. But try to add something that really works instead that makes a game annoying. Because with the timehole idea you need to be online 24/7. All MMOs take alot of time. Like it or don't like it.
MMOs do take a lot of time, but like I said, there's a reason why nobody's done this before. I know for a fact that there are people that love WoW and hate the fact that Travian makes you wait such a huge amount of time in order to actually attack. And that it out right requires you to be up in the middle of both the night and the day to keep progressing reasonably.

There's also the point where this is an RTS, RTSes are traditionally strategy, resource management and supervisiory. I've never played an RTS where the units could be trusted to do what I want them to without a lot of micromanaging. The managing and the micromanaging is the fun.

If you don't like my previous idea fine, but I pointed out a problem and pointed out a possible solution. Like I said you guys can do with your time and energy what you see fit, but imagining that there's going to be a huge number of players that like Travian, WoW and RTSes is probably pushing it if there isn't a decent mechanic to cope with the time constraints that most people have.

And precisely what evidence do you have that it couldn't work? Unless you're restricting play by timezone, you're going to have the timehole effect in the game whether or not you like it, being that there are only 24 hours in a day, you're not going to be any more likely to be attacked at a disadvantageous time in my way than you would in real time.

And by the way, there's really no reason to make an ass of yourself. You disagree with me fine, but making a dick of yourself when somebody points out a flaw isn't the way to make anything of value.

some ideas about current discussion,

in B&W 2 micromanagement isnt such a problem, you do the fun things in the micromanagement or just quickens up things that otherwise anyway would happen anyway and most things goes pretty painless, the only thing I think I dont like is that it is so hard to make all plutones to attack at the same time.

This got me thinking of one thing I want in a RTS and that is that you tell the game that you want army to consist of X number of units were y% should be a and z percentage should be b.

Then the game automatically builds this armie as you afford to build units then it should be easy to split up the army into smaller plutones and set priority to how fast you want diffrent things in your army should be buildt(it should by default mix it up to match the percentages you have given),
also I want to be able to "build"(not build them more like put them into the place for latter production) buildings before I have the resources for them and then the game just wait with building anything until it has the resources for the building and set priority for when to build the building too.

Also it would be nice to be able to give an exact route for my troops when moving so I can make troops move around the opponent attack from behind and such.

I have made a balance table for 8 diffrent "races"(what this should mean in reality is up to the one who develops the game): <---- no smiley

tabellrtsos2.jpg

it is balanced out so its one 1, one 5, two 2s, two 3s and two 4s in each row with fire being orcs, water being some anceint race that went underwater for a long time ago, wind being roc(or maybe not, but evrything should fly anyway), earth =trolls, metal = gnomes/goblins, spirit= undead, light= kingdom like society with knights and such and shadow being bandits, outlaws, theives or any other synonym you can find.

ive made signs for every race too, but those ar drawn by hand so they will not be posted right now.

Also I want everyone to have one über unit(and just one) that kills everything in its way (like the creture in black and white or hero units in WC3 or the queen in chess) but when you loose it you will well you dont want to loose it.

how about Homeworld? game of the year in 1999, is now open source :)

uses OpenGL too...

i think the open sourced Linux port has no multiplayer or something? whatever, would still be cool to have :)

CC_machine said:
how about Homeworld? game of the year in 1999, is now open source :)

uses OpenGL too...

i think the open sourced Linux port has no multiplayer or something? whatever, would still be cool to have :)
well that settles this discussion since it such a great game and is what we look for. If we dont want to make a rts XD. Like I want to even though I have really limited skills in both programming and drawing on a PC.

Back