MK802 - 1.5Ghz Android 4.0/Linux Computer on a stick for $80 delivered

This thing seems to be getting a lot of attention on the net . Loads of stories popping up. There seems to also be a number of vids popping up everyday on youtube such as the demo below.

Engadget seem to have done several stories on it now, including this one on the 512Mb version : http://www.engadget....on-impressions/

Lets hope the reviews and demos on the 1Gb version start to flood in now.

It's interesting , in one of the comparisons Engadget did in a previous review, they mentioned the Cotton candy had 2 advantages over the mk802 , CPU and memory, whereas the mk802 was 3 times cheaper. They had a poll asking people on one site, asking which they would choose, 80% chose the mk802(512mb version) over the more expensive but higher spec Cotton Candy. Now that the mk802 has the same memory(1gb), the Cotton Candy is looking dead in the water at $199. They have delayed the Cotton candy several times and I get the feeling that it will either be vapour ware or they are revamping it to be even better, so as to give it more of a buffer to the competition that has now come out. Time will tell.

Comparing the MK802 on paper to the Rasberry Pi, the specs favour the MK802 heavily. The interesting thing is the price point the Pi seems cheaper, but when you look at it, will actually set you back about the same amount. The Pi being about $50 - $60 delivered depending on where you live plus power supply, plus cables, plus case. Once you add all this up it will easily cost about the same as the MK802 . Remembering of course that MK802 comes cased and with all cables and power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yBizEOtdDRA?feature=oembed

Interesting.

This thing seems to be getting a lot of attention on the net . Loads of stories popping up. There seems to also be a number of vids popping up everyday on youtube such as the demo below.

Engadget seem to have done several stories on it now, including this one on the 512Mb version : http://www.engadget....on-impressions/

Lets hope the reviews and demos on the 1Gb version start to flood in now.

It's interesting , in one of the comparisons Engadget did in a previous review, they mentioned the Cotton candy had 2 advantages over the mk802 , CPU and memory, whereas the mk802 was 3 times cheaper. They had a poll asking people on one site, asking which they would choose, 80% chose the mk802(512mb version) over the more expensive but higher spec Cotton Candy. Now that the mk802 has the same memory(1gb), the Cotton Candy is looking dead in the water at $199. They have delayed the Cotton candy several times and I get the feeling that it will either be vapour ware or they are revamping it to be even better, so as to give it more of a buffer to the competition that has now come out. Time will tell.

Comparing the MK802 on paper to the Rasberry Pi, the specs favour the MK802 heavily. The interesting thing is the price point the Pi seems cheaper, but when you look at it, will actually set you back about the same amount. The Pi being about $50 - $60 delivered depending on where you live plus power supply, plus cables, plus case. Once you add all this up it will easily cost about the same as the MK802 . Remembering of course that MK802 comes cased and with all cables and power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yBizEOtdDRA?feature=oembed
will this just act like a leach if plugged into the pandora? ie use its screen?

Cheers sony i only asked because if my mind serve's me right the cotton candy supposedly does that with any screen.so cotton candy is still the best option.

Cheers sony i only asked because if my mind serve's me right the cotton candy supposedly does that with any screen.so cotton candy is still the best option.

Not sure what feature your referring to with the Cotton Candy. If it's the Virtualisation thing, thats software which I presume could be ported or a version exists for the MK802. The thing with the Cotton Candy is that other than the huge price difference , at the moment it's vapour ware with no set launch date

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure what feature your referring to with the Cotton Candy. If it's the Virtualisation thing, thats software which I presume could be ported or a version exists for the MK802. The thing with the Cotton Candy is that other than the huge price difference , at the moment it's vapour ware with no set launch date
basically you plug cotton candy into a laptop or tv and it uses said devices screen as its own without you doing a thing.

The MK802 can do that with a TV via a normal HDMI cable, not sure about a laptop .Do you know what port on the laptop the cotton candy plugs into?

The MK802 can do that with a TV via a normal HDMI cable, not sure about a laptop .Do you know what port on the laptop the cotton candy plugs into?
i think its through usb dont know how it does it though.But basically you could theoretically plug it into a tv,laptop,smartphone or any screen with a usb port and itll turn it into an android workstation dont know if 199 dollars will cut the mustard consumerwise thats why i asked if the other stick was the same

i think its through usb dont know how it does it though.But basically you could theoretically plug it into a tv,laptop,smartphone or any screen with a usb port and itll turn it into an android workstation dont know if 199 dollars will cut the mustard consumerwise thats why i asked if the other stick was the same

Are you sure about this? I can't find a reference to it with a quick google search. Got a link?

Are you sure about this? I can't find a reference to it with a quick google search. Got a link?
Here's a demo video m8 not sure 199 dollars will cut the mustard now with all the newer tablets coming out.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/0PiJeiaMq3E?feature=oembed

So a Cotton Candy can leach the Pandora screen, or expected to be able to at least - obviously proof will be on release?

This is interesting and good to hear if it can.

Sort of relevant in that it's another Android mini, sorry to swerve a little bit OT, but you seen the other Android device that is more like the RPi in dimensions, rather than USB Key sized like this mk802 and Cotton Candy ... called the APC ... cheap too.

http://apc.io/

Looks ok to me, got to be worth picking one up for $49, what's that, about £30 or something?

Has anyne got experience of using this as a media player?

We currently use a WDTV and thats fine but very sluggish to go through the menu's just wondered how this copes with different file formats and resolutions of files.

So a Cotton Candy can leach the Pandora screen, or expected to be able to at least - obviously proof will be on release? This is interesting and good to hear if it can.

There is no way that can happen with a Pandora without drivers or major modification to the Pandora hardware.

Looks like people are having fun with the MK802 : Running Linux

I actually skipped over this because the thread title only mentioned Android (an instant no-sale for me, as it just doesn't suit my requirements and is highly unlikely ever to do so), but Exophase linked me to it, and I must say, it's quite a nice-looking little device (and in a black-and-purple casing, too! Two of my favourite colours :D ). Running a full computer OS without having to faff about with "rooting" things on an ostensibly "open" device and other ridiculous nonsense like that? This makes it interesting to me, and the form-factor is much more suitable than the Raspberry Pi for a project that I've had in mind for a little while now.

Anyone know of any UK vendors that will be carrying this?

Back